How are you finding new DG "on the table"?

Zombs

Melta spams have already expelled most vehicle-based lists out of meta. A dedicated-anti-vehicle vehicle live in vaccum.

Sure, but you are still going to play some vehicles, unless you want to go 100% pure infantry, right? The question is, if sicaran (venator specifically, but the other variants too) can work in dg (as replacement for daemon engines for example) and if so, if they are worth the cp cost.

Flyers can be theoretically nice in combination with Flesh Outbreak.

Melta spams have already expelled most vehicle-based lists out of meta. A dedicated-anti-vehicle vehicle live in vaccum.

Sure, but you are still going to play some vehicles, unless you want to go 100% pure infantry, right? The question is, if sicaran (venator specifically, but the other variants too) can work in dg (as replacement for daemon engines for example) and if so, if they are worth the cp cost.

Flyers can be theoretically nice in combination with Flesh Outbreak.

I think no "flyer" unit shows better overall efficiency than FBD now. Hellblade has an OKay profile, but it has a minimum move requirement, so contagion spreading of it, is not that reliable.

I think no "flyer" unit shows better overall efficiency than FBD now. Hellblade has an OKay profile, but it has a minimum move requirement, so contagion spreading of it, is not that reliable.

Yeah, I don't really like the flyers in general, but I guess they could be useful in Inexorable to get that -1 ap bonus where you need it, but not sure if it's worth it. Their profiles themselves don't seem very interesting I guess.

I'm more interested in people's experiences with "regular" FW vehicles, like sicarans or some other stuff. The fact they get Bubonic Astartes and IA makes them look useful in a way, on paper at least.

I'll be taking 2 contemptors with plasma blaster close combat arm, twin Las and the cyclone missile launcher as well as a grav leviathan with volkite. Will be extremely CP heavy especially since playing wretched for better plaguecaster but I love the modles too much not too even if I'm taxed for doing so I don't care. The Contemptors should be good for long ranged firepower whilst leviathan can advance up with my warlord and deathahroud to for some deadly short ranged firepower

I had a couple of games vs a friends (proxied) dark angles just to see what they could do....it was horrible, like actually horrific what dark angles can do. He was pure ravenwing but i wouldnt even say it was a optimised list

We played 3 games and i conceded end of turn 2 in all games.

I proxied morty in one of them and he literally shot him off the bored in 1 turn with ease (I actually rolled insane with my invuns against his black knights rolling 7 out of 9 4++ and actually thought i would tank his shooting...but then 3 overcharged landspeeders opened up on him and my rolling evened out and he went down to 1 wound and then was killed with boltguns from a bike squad). 10 Blightlords and 10 plague marines with 3 plasma and 2 blight launchers all next to a tallyman managed to kill a whole 1 black knight which was then healed by the apothecary. His turn 2 he charged a ancient (with the -1 invun relic) right next to the blight lords and opened up with everything...it hurt a lot, he then charged his captain into one of my drones, killing it. My turn 2 i charged the daemon prince and a 2nd drone into his captain (he popped the 3++ from armour indomitus), failed to kill him, he killed the drone. He held nearly all the objectives, was massivly ahead in points and i conceded.

The other 2 games i just used a standard list with no morty. This actually did better but i did get lucky with some of my shooting managing to kill the plasma land speeders in both games. But in the end he decided when to engage and just stood back for a bit, killing off poxwalkers/drones and softening up the blight lords, before going all in and again wipping out the blight lords.

The speed, firepower and defense of raven wing is just insane.

I mean 10 plage marines vs 7 bikers are the same points, both are T5, both die to D3, both count as stationary when shooting, while the bikers get an extra 9" movement, a 5++ (4++ if they advance). Oh and the bikers get even more bolter shots (28 vs 20) and if you give them both special weapons, the PM can take 3 plasma and 2 blight launchers, while the bikers can take 3 plasma and a MM, while also keeping their bolters giving them even more damage and an extra 2 wounds over the PM....for the same god damn points.

As for terminators, well DW Knights just :cuss on blight lords for not a whole lot more points, and with the anceint they also get -1D, while all having perma transhuman...and can get a 7" charge on 3D6 if required.

Speaking of rough, today I played against my very own custodes, which my opponent wanted to try. We played Priority Target, game ended 61-74 for Custodes.

I wanted to try Contemptor and 1 Leviathan. You'd think Volkites would be relatively good against them.

Just to be clear what kind of game it was, Contemptor with double volkite was untouched whole game, tallyman with tollkeeper for support and in 3 rounds had rerolls 1 from Typhus.

Out of a total of 108 attacks (quite often he had more hits than shots) he did like around 5(?) MW during the. Whole. Game. Leviathan barely did anything and hid most of the game for While we Stand which didn't even help in the end.

Typhus, who died in round 4 after failing to do single dmg to bike cap who had 2W left, managed to successfully cast like twice during the whole game!

Saying the dice were not in my favor today would be quite the understatement.

I really want to like PMs, because I want to play dg with marines, not zombies, but man.... they don't do anything. I tried 4x7 squads before and 4x5 squads today with 20 and 10 poxwalkers.

At the end of the game, I had 2 poxwalkers remaining and 0 PMs. I don't think PMs did any damage unlike poxwalkers funnily enough. They did manage to get me 6 points for spread the sickness, which poxwalkers couldn't manage even once. But that was mostly because they were occupied by 4 bikes + SC on bike most of the game. Bikes died with the help of Typhus and and bike cap was left with 2W at the end of it all.

I mean, that was 150p not only occupying a 1/4 of my opponents army, but actually helped bring a part of it down.

Other than that, PMs just died. They prevented my opponent to hold 1 objective for 1 or maybe 2 rounds (in one of those poxwalkers came to help hold it too).

I tried playing wretched, Plaguecaster was great for 1 round, but then his PMs and Deathshrouds died and he got charged by Achillus and Trajann. And that was that.

Other than the atrocious rolling, I think contemptor can be pretty nice. I want to give Leviathan a chance again. PBC didn't do much all game and I think I'll wait with buying a 2nd one. I am, however considering that Venator instead.

3 Deathshrouds didn't get into combat at all this time, but at least they protected the characters for a couple of turns.

Overall, I was very close to flipping the table but it was my table. With my terrain. And with my 2 armies... so I resisted.

I need to invest in more zombies and Terminators I think...

I hate to say it, but Poxwalkers were MVPs, hands down. The amount of work they did, for those points... I only have 30 of them, so I guess I'll have to get more.

I'm already thinking of fielding 5 squads of 20 poxwalkers :D

Horrible game that ruined my sunday somewhat, but what can you do. I don't like to blame the dice, but sometimes you just can't help it...

P.S. That WHC article about the new DR, where they tried to hype it to no end, saying who durable DG are going to be now, just annoys me so much. It's burned in my mind forever. Especially seeing Dark Angels now. -1 didn't do a whole lot for vehicles in my games. They went down so much easier than before... and PMs just go down like they don't want to have any part in the games... frustrating

Edited by Balerion84

Speaking of rough, today I played against my very own custodes, which my opponent wanted to try. We played Priority Target, game ended 61-74 for Custodes.

I wanted to try Contemptor and 1 Leviathan. You'd think Volkites would be relatively good against them.

Just to be clear what kind of game it was, Contemptor with double volkite was untouched whole game, tallyman with tollkeeper for support and in 3 rounds had rerolls 1 from Typhus.

Out of a total of 108 attacks (quite often he had more hits than shots) he did like around 5(?) MW during the. Whole. Game. Leviathan barely did anything and hid most of the game for While we Stand which didn't even help in the end.

Typhus, who died in round 4 after failing to do single dmg to bike cap who had 2W left, managed to successfully cast like twice during the whole game!

Saying the dice were not in my favor today would be quite the understatement.

I really want to like PMs, because I want to play dg with marines, not zombies, but man.... they don't do anything. I tried 4x7 squads before and 4x5 squads today with 20 and 10 poxwalkers.

At the end of the game, I had 2 poxwalkers remaining and 0 PMs. I don't think PMs did any damage unlike poxwalkers funnily enough. They did manage to get me 6 points for spread the sickness, which poxwalkers couldn't manage even once. But that was mostly because they were occupied by 4 bikes + SC on bike most of the game. Bikes died with the help of Typhus and and bike cap was left with 2W at the end of it all.

I mean, that was 150p not only occupying a 1/4 of my opponents army, but actually helped bring a part of it down.

Other than that, PMs just died. They prevented my opponent to hold 1 objective for 1 or maybe 2 rounds (in one of those poxwalkers came to help hold it too).

I tried playing wretched, Plaguecaster was great for 1 round, but then his PMs and Deathshrouds died and he got charged by Achillus and Trajann. And that was that.

Other than the atrocious rolling, I think contemptor can be pretty nice. I want to give Leviathan a chance again. PBC didn't do much all game and I think I'll wait with buying a 2nd one. I am, however considering that Venator instead.

3 Deathshrouds didn't get into combat at all this time, but at least they protected the characters for a couple of turns.

Overall, I was very close to flipping the table but it was my table. With my terrain. And with my 2 armies... so I resisted.

I need to invest in more zombies and Terminators I think...

I hate to say it, but Poxwalkers were MVPs, hands down. The amount of work they did, for those points... I only have 30 of them, so I guess I'll have to get more.

I'm already thinking of fielding 5 squads of 20 poxwalkers :biggrin.:

Horrible game that ruined my sunday somewhat, but what can you do. I don't like to blame the dice, but sometimes you just can't help it...

P.S. That WHC article about the new DR, where they tried to hype it to no end, saying who durable DG are going to be now, just annoys me so much. It's burned in my mind forever. Especially seeing Dark Angels now. -1 didn't do a whole lot for vehicles in my games. They went down so much easier than before... and PMs just go down like they don't want to have any part in the games... frustrating

Yea i was trying to say that the contemptors are pretty crap now, especially for the points and CP tax. Although you apparently can make their heavy bolters plague weapons...so there is that i suppose

As for plague marines, well i think you really have to take just a single 10 man squad and CoF them every game. As soon as they are out in the open they just die and are super expensive. I am actually getting to the point where i think PM, primaris and normal SM/CSM squads are far too expensive. 

As for legions, well always go inoxerable, the AP is just needed. 

Typhus is a joke, the fact that he cant take a pathogen and is stuck with his crappy WLT is frustrating to say the least.

I agree that poxwalkers are the all star unit in the codex. For their points they are just so annoying to your opponent, and a lot of the time you just require bodies on the table.

The blightspawn with his relic is also mandatory. Against every opponent they have said just how annoying he is

As for the WHC article, well thats GW, they are there to hype up stuff

Honestly, I am finding this codex so frustrating. It either does really well (My PBC hit, my drones make the charge, my mandatory psycher casts his spells, I play an opponent with lots of D2 weapons)....or I get shot off the bored.

Poxwalkers failed to do "spread the sickness"? How? When a poxwalker unit is chosen to do this action, DG should 100% take d3 wounds to ensure the action successful(unless there are fewer than 3 models in the unit). You have only (exactly)5 chances to pursue 3*5 VPs.

Poxwalkers failed to do "spread the sickness"? How? When a poxwalker unit is chosen to do this action, DG should 100% take d3 wounds to ensure the action successful(unless there are fewer than 3 models in the unit). You have only (exactly)5 chances to pursue 3*5 VPs.

Well the bigger question is why is anyone taking this garbage secondary lol

But i think he ment that there were enemy models near the objective so couldn't do it

Well the bigger question is why is anyone taking this garbage secondary lol

But i think he ment that there were enemy models near the objective so couldn't do it

On paper, it is pretty possible to get 9VPs, and would have much difficulty to get 12 even 15(especially in missions with only 5 objectives). Not very attractive.

But…are there secondaries which fit DG well(easily 9+VPs)?

Yeah, I wanted to try the Spread the sickness since I assumed getting 9 points would be pretty much guaranteed. I managed to do it on the middle objective, but couldn't get it done on the one close to my dz. Bikes with cap got to it on turn 2 (I went 2nd). And for the rest of the game, poxwalkers and typhus were trying to clear it, while the rest of the bunch were to busy failing and dying. Just couldn't get rid of the bike cap...

The fact I rolled 1 and 2 for my advances with pw didn't exactly help me get to it.

Typhus is not great... but I thought his psychic would help, but besides 1 vitality on turn 1 and 1 smite, it didn't do much. Might as well just go back to LoC, wlt, relics and pathogens would've been better...

As I've said in other threads...DA are the new pre nerf Iron Hands. I'm very thankful no one in my circle of gamers plays them.

This. They are just better than us in any field. Their termies can litterally get Disgustingly Resilient (what makes us unique) with a goddam banner. Plus they can resurrect one per turn.

Edited by Zombs

Played 4 games with new dex, tested two lists, won one game. First list was based on inexorable bolter-drill blightlords, lost to salamanders with no chance, lost to necrons. Second list, with 15 deasshrouds, 0 blightlords and 0 plague marines, mortarions anvil, DP with warp-insect hive, won against SW, lost to Iron Hands. 
I will test new list this weekend. But for now new codex is just one big disappointment for me. Only hope for Book of Rust. 

Played 4 games with new dex, tested two lists, won one game. First list was based on inexorable bolter-drill blightlords, lost to salamanders with no chance, lost to necrons. Second list, with 15 deasshrouds, 0 blightlords and 0 plague marines, mortarions anvil, DP with warp-insect hive, won against SW, lost to Iron Hands. 

I will test new list this weekend. But for now new codex is just one big disappointment for me. Only hope for Book of Rust. 

I'd be curious what your whole lists were, at what points, in more detail. I have been having LOTS of good fun and use out of the new book. Had a game against Smurfs Saturday that was a real knock-down drag-out grudgematch that went well for the followers of nurgle.

15 shroud seems like a very big commitment for close to half of your army in a 2k point game.

In the game against Smurfs, I had Typhus (woulda been a LoC, but had extra points so, F it, took Typhus), 2x 5 man blightlords, and 1x 3 shroud and them coming in on one flank was near as many points, but they had guns and psychic to solidify their drop and followup push, rather than just rely on charge an opponent could walk away from if you fail.

Well I did just notice something we totally :cussed up in that quick practice game I had vs Ravenwing,

So apparently RW Black Knights dont get perma-transhuman...I did not know that. That actually makes them slightly more balanced (And makes plasma Intercessors far more the obvious choice)

Well I did just notice something we totally :cuss up in that quick practice game I had vs Ravenwing,

So apparently RW Black Knights dont get perma-transhuman...I did not know that. That actually makes them slightly more balanced (And makes plasma Intercessors far more the obvious choice)

Only Deathwing / inner circle get it I think which is all their terminators and most characters which is pretty daunting to face since it makes our contagions practically useless since it's still 4+ to wound regardless of what we use. Utter bullcrap really even out best deathshroud with their deadly plague weapon that should wound marines easy have no effect on a super "resilent" loyalist marines. At least Mortal wounds still affect them normally so spamming them still seems like a good idea

Death Guard getting the job done in NZ: lists are basically what you'd expect, but a worthwhile read.

I am super surprised with the list that came in 1st.

Other than morty, nothing seems that strong and he OS is super weak.

I wonder what the armies he played were. The one thing DG do have going for them right now is they are shaking up the meta so much. Blood angles and SoB are really struggling against them

Death Guard getting the job done in NZ: lists are basically what you'd expect, but a worthwhile read.

I wonder what the armies he played were. The one thing DG do have going for them right now is they are shaking up the meta so much. Blood angles and SoB are really struggling against them

Is it because sisters get reduced to T2? That seems pretty annoying.

Not sure what is stopping the blood angels- is it the blightspawn relic aura?

Interesting(and maybe ironical) fact: most competitive meta army have enough firepower for killing Morty in one turn, while DG itself,don't. So in DG-DG mirror games(the final rankings of this Open is partially, if not mostly, determined by mirror games),Morty would bring obvious advantage against non-Morty lists.

Is it because sisters get reduced to T2? That seems pretty annoying.

Not sure what is stopping the blood angels- is it the blightspawn relic aura?

Sisters more get screwed over because of repentia being effectivly D1, + no rerolls to hit/wound if taking that contagion. Its not that they cant beat DG, its just that a lot of their tricks suddenly stop working

And yea, the blightspawn relic aura just kills blood angles, and really all combat armies, espeically if having the gloaming

If this level of dominance lives past the Dark Angel surge then you can pretty much expect the Iron Hands treatment as more tournaments reveal a win rate of this nature to be “standard” in competitive play.

If this level of dominance lives past the Dark Angel surge then you can pretty much expect the Iron Hands treatment as more tournaments reveal a win rate of this nature to be “standard” in competitive play.

If now there is anything overpowered and could be compared with "Iron Hands 2019", that is new DA, not us. Not even close.

DA inner circle has permanently build-in transhuman, could revive dead model every turn, and could give 1 unit + 1 character "Disgusting resilence" of their own version.