How are you finding new DG "on the table"?

Zombs

Seriously though - how many Blightlords and/or Deathshroud are people finding works with lists without Mortarion ?

I rejected the idea of flexible roster. And now going to run 20 blightlords + 10 deathsrouds with ~60 poxwalkers and some virions and HQs. 

I finally got my first game in with DG. Played with Morty against a complete cheeseball Salamander successor list. Morty died top of turn 2 from 8 Eradicators, Redemptor Dreads and then being charged by Bladeguard Vets and a souped up primaris chaplain on bike with absolutely insane melee stats and damage.

After that I didn't have enough to deal with his list and after we calculated he would go up on points by turn 4 I couldn't make up the point difference. I don't understand the people who think Morty is unkillable. He died very easily frankly. He only managed to kill one Incursor squad before he died so nice to see my 500 points in Morty only earned back 105 points or so.

I finally got my first game in with DG. Played with Morty against a complete cheeseball Salamander successor list. Morty died top of turn 2 from 8 Eradicators, Redemptor Dreads and then being charged by Bladeguard Vets and a souped up primaris chaplain on bike with absolutely insane melee stats and damage.

After that I didn't have enough to deal with his list and after we calculated he would go up on points by turn 4 I couldn't make up the point difference. I don't understand the people who think Morty is unkillable. He died very easily frankly. He only managed to kill one Incursor squad before he died so nice to see my 500 points in Morty only earned back 105 points or so.

Different marine chapters feature different weapons. Salamanders emphasis on meltas, hammers and flamers, which aren't hurt a lot by DG's -1dmg.

Different marine chapters feature different weapons. Salamanders emphasis on meltas, hammers and flamers, which aren't hurt a lot by DG's -1dmg.

Yes, the -1 DMG was worthless.  It literally had no impact whatsoever to the damage received since every unit just died anyways. I found it unreal to see how crazy overpowered Salamanders were against DG. I've fought them with Space Wolves and had enough to win. But DG? Not even close frankly. The imbalance between loyalist SM and our guys is enormous.

Sallies are particularly problematic for us (I also suffer from having a local Sallies player :ermm:), but I wouldn't say there's a vast gulf between us & all SM. We hard counter chapters like Blood Angels & White Scars for example.

It doesn't help that this player has turned into a WAAC player at this point. He used to be a die hard Black Legion player that rage quit over how bad CSM was in 8th (which I agree CSM is bad) and came back with a successor chapter. He plans on switching it out to whatever is the best loyal SM chapter at any time so for now he's all about Salamanders. 

Sallies are particularly problematic for us (I also suffer from having a local Sallies player :ermm:), but I wouldn't say there's a vast gulf between us & all SM. We hard counter chapters like Blood Angels & White Scars for example.

It doesn't help that this player has turned into a WAAC player at this point. He used to be a die hard Black Legion player that rage quit over how bad CSM was in 8th (which I agree CSM is bad) and came back with a successor chapter. He plans on switching it out to whatever is the best loyal SM chapter at any time so for now he's all about Salamanders.

If he's so blatant, and flippant possibly, about it, sounds like it's time to put him on the blacklist. Sounds like a prime example of the kind of folks who ruin the hobby for those around them, especially the casual players/builders/painters.

Also, yeah, eradicators annihilate plague marines and do decent Blightlord/shroud hunting for very cheap points investment, it can be pretty disheartening. Especially since with those damn rifles being 24", it can be very difficult to screen out the D6+2 effect when they strategic-reserve in.

(They ALWAYS strat-reserves in. I miss the days of outflank, etc... being a strength of some factions, not everybody and their mother able to do it)

Edited by Dark Legionnare

With an actual pandemic going on no idea when I'll get to play but I got the codex today and will try to get the Diseased Sons back on the table or at least looking legal eventually. I just don't have much painting mojo anymore and spend too much time alone at my desk working from home as is. It used to be you could have two special weapons in a Plague Marine squad and the champ could have a plasma gun, that squad seems out, but can you have a blight launcher and plague spewer then when you hit 10 models a second of these guns. Then it seems like you can have a special weapon every five models. I'm not sure how many special weapons a Plague Marine unit of ten can actually have.

I will try various flavours but I took think the terminators will do a lot of heavy lifting and I'm thinking of having a defiler or a hellbrute at least. It seems the crawlers are getting less love but the flesh mower or drones in general seem fun. I generally play for fun and I used to paint and convert more. I'm going to go Lord of Virulence and 7th Plague Company, because "Sons" and plague flamers. Not sure how I'll run my blight lords. I have reapers galore painted even a heavy flamer model converted I want to lean into the 7th Plague Company theme and I always liked auto hitting. 

With an actual pandemic going on no idea when I'll get to play but I got the codex today and will try to get the Diseased Sons back on the table or at least looking legal eventually. I just don't have much painting mojo anymore and spend too much time alone at my desk working from home as is. It used to be you could have two special weapons in a Plague Marine squad and the champ could have a plasma gun, that squad seems out, but can you have a blight launcher and plague spewer then when you hit 10 models a second of these guns. Then it seems like you can have a special weapon every five models. I'm not sure how many special weapons a Plague Marine unit of ten can actually have.

I will try various flavours but I took think the terminators will do a lot of heavy lifting and I'm thinking of having a defiler or a hellbrute at least. It seems the crawlers are getting less love but the flesh mower or drones in general seem fun. I generally play for fun and I used to paint and convert more. I'm going to go Lord of Virulence and 7th Plague Company, because "Sons" and plague flamers. Not sure how I'll run my blight lords. I have reapers galore painted even a heavy flamer model converted I want to lean into the 7th Plague Company theme and I always liked auto hitting.

In a squad of 5, you get one blight launcher and one plague spewer. At 10, you can get one more, but not both (so 3 total in a 10 man). Then for every 5 you can take a melta, plague Belcher or plasma gun (so 2 at 10). Champs can still take the plasma as well. PBC are better than ever if you take the entropy cannons. They are now d3+3 damage and plague weapons. Crawlers also hit on 3's and their mortars lost the minimum range requirement and is a flat 2 damage instead of d3.

I played a second game with my DG. Non Morty game against a Sisters player. I won the game by turn 2 due to his inability to deal with 3 PBC and the -1 Toughness just making his units so easy to kill. I believe I had killed half his army in two turns if not more. I actually felt bad for how lopsided the game was.

I had a couple games, the first against Deathwing and the second Dark Eldar/Harlequin. I won both 94-55 and 97-71, with 2 different lists. I was more concerned with the Deathwing then the Eldar, but once I got his big unit of knights in the middle of the board I kept him in range of the Droning and picked off everything else. He was never able to come close to me with them. My casualties from that game was a drone and a PBC. The second game I lost 2 PBCs, a unit of 5 BLs, and I had 2 units of 20 Poxwalkers down to 1 a piece.

Both very fun games and very educational.

I had a couple games, the first against Deathwing and the second Dark Eldar/Harlequin. I won both 94-55 and 97-71, with 2 different lists. I was more concerned with the Deathwing then the Eldar, but once I got his big unit of knights in the middle of the board I kept him in range of the Droning and picked off everything else. He was never able to come close to me with them. My casualties from that game was a drone and a PBC. The second game I lost 2 PBCs, a unit of 5 BLs, and I had 2 units of 20 Poxwalkers down to 1 a piece.

97 means you only missed 3 VPs of all available VPs? That is awesome! What secondaries you selected?

I played a second game with my DG. Non Morty game against a Sisters player. I won the game by turn 2 due to his inability to deal with 3 PBC and the -1 Toughness just making his units so easy to kill. I believe I had killed half his army in two turns if not more. I actually felt bad for how lopsided the game was.

Congratulations. What his army look like? On paper, sister infantries could ignore -1/-2AP when sit next to imaginifiers, are they really that fragile?

Congratulations. What his army look like? On paper, sister infantries could ignore -1/-2AP when sit next to imaginifiers, are they really that fragile?

thanks. He had several sisters squads, some sisters with the multi meltas, repentia in a rhino and some arco flagellants. he had I think 9 total characters in the list including Celestine. He only had one Exorcist tank and was really depending on the multi melta squads to deal with my armor but I picked them off with my shooting before they could do anything.

He did get some licks in but the game was over once my guys were in melee range to all of his units. They definitely hit hard but my counter punch was obscenely disgusting. Deathshroud and BL in combat are so fun.

97 means you only missed 3 VPs of all available VPs? That is awesome! What secondaries you selected?

I took WWSWF with 2 of my 3 5 man BLs units and my unit of 4 DS. Raise the Banners and Bring it Down, which under the old points I would have had scored all 15 for. The rest of that army was Typhus, Plaguecaster, 3x20 Poxwalkers, Blightspawn, Tallyman, and Surgeon plus the 2 PBCs.

I took WWSWF with 2 of my 3 5 man BLs units and my unit of 4 DS. Raise the Banners and Bring it Down, which under the old points I would have had scored all 15 for. The rest of that army was Typhus, Plaguecaster, 3x20 Poxwalkers, Blightspawn, Tallyman, and Surgeon plus the 2 PBCs.

Who was raising the banner? The blight lords?

In a squad of 5, you get one blight launcher and one plague spewer. At 10, you can get one more, but not both (so 3 total in a 10 man). Then for every 5 you can take a melta, plague Belcher or plasma gun (so 2 at 10). Champs can still take the plasma as well. PBC are better than ever if you take the entropy cannons. They are now d3+3 damage and plague weapons. Crawlers also hit on 3's and their mortars lost the minimum range requirement and is a flat 2 damage instead of d3.

I have no Plague Burst Crawlers painted or otherwise, they do seem better. I want to use the models I have painted and just augment say a couple squads first. I also will do Blightlords and Deathshroud, but the first squad I will do is 2 * Plague Belchers and 2 * Plaque Spewers. I'm leaning into being the the 7th Plague Company. Not sure if that squad should get a rhino, probably eventually, because  no one would walk within range of that squad. I remember the old Plague Havoc squads with 4 special weapons, I made the 20 man 4 plasma version, but it seems for Troop choices or Core choices Plague Marines are a bit shootier than they used to be especially if you can get within 12 inches. In bigger games I'll probably bring a Defiler or a Landraider but for small games I want as many models as I can get and at 21 points per Death Guard that isn't so many. Are people buying one rhino per Plague Marine squad?

I have no Plague Burst Crawlers painted or otherwise, they do seem better. I want to use the models I have painted and just augment say a couple squads first. I also will do Blightlords and Deathshroud, but the first squad I will do is 2 * Plague Belchers and 2 * Plaque Spewers. I'm leaning into being the the 7th Plague Company. Not sure if that squad should get a rhino, probably eventually, because no one would walk within range of that squad. I remember the old Plague Havoc squads with 4 special weapons, I made the 20 man 4 plasma version, but it seems for Troop choices or Core choices Plague Marines are a bit shootier than they used to be especially if you can get within 12 inches. In bigger games I'll probably bring a Defiler or a Landraider but for small games I want as many models as I can get and at 21 points per Death Guard that isn't so many. Are people buying one rhino per Plague Marine squad?

In 9th, killing a 80pts rhino is much more easier than killing 4 plaguemarines. Don't over-kit your PMs. A 10-men PM unit in rhino, with some wargears, could excess 340pts, which is even more expensive than 8 blightlords.

Ask your opponent. Do not ask yourself. Which is more powerful? Which one he is more afraid of? 10 plaguemarines, or 8 terminators?

I have no Plague Burst Crawlers painted or otherwise, they do seem better. I want to use the models I have painted and just augment say a couple squads first. I also will do Blightlords and Deathshroud, but the first squad I will do is 2 * Plague Belchers and 2 * Plaque Spewers. I'm leaning into being the the 7th Plague Company. Not sure if that squad should get a rhino, probably eventually, because no one would walk within range of that squad. I remember the old Plague Havoc squads with 4 special weapons, I made the 20 man 4 plasma version, but it seems for Troop choices or Core choices Plague Marines are a bit shootier than they used to be especially if you can get within 12 inches. In bigger games I'll probably bring a Defiler or a Landraider but for small games I want as many models as I can get and at 21 points per Death Guard that isn't so many. Are people buying one rhino per Plague Marine squad?

I've had zero luck with rhino's and as someone else suggested just bring more marines instead. Defilers don't get the legion trait of being able to fire heavies in combat with no penalty nor do they get DR, and went up like 30pts in 9th and in my opinion are not worth it. Land raiders as well. Without DR these units shout out "shoot me first with your multi damage weapons!". Rarely will they make it past T1 in my games. Plus with rhino's you're usually transporting obsec marines with either melee/flamers/grenade guy combo and most opponents know to shoot it first because of how easily it folds under fire. Obviously this is all my experience, others might and will vary.

I can't comment on how a flamer squad of PM's will do, so you will have to play test it when you can and let me know. My last game I had a melee group of PM's with cloud of flies advancing behind a group of haulers with 4++ with -1 to hit and it worked out pretty well. My brother's admech had a hard time bringing them down and never finished off all 3.

I know this might be surprising to some to hear but in 9th edition I don't think transports are worth taking. At all. Just run your guys up the table or bring them off the board. The points for transports are better spent on more boots on the ground or even another tank.

With smaller board sizes, the lethality of weapons, and the vulnerability of vehicles, most are't worth taking, unless they have some really powerful weapons and some resilience, like the PBC. Great to see some wins with the DG, though I'm not looking forward to facing them with my BA - As said, they seem a hard counter to everything BA can throw at them. 

I know this might be surprising to some to hear but in 9th edition I don't think transports are worth taking. At all. Just run your guys up the table or bring them off the board. The points for transports are better spent on more boots on the ground or even another tank.

With smaller board sizes, the lethality of weapons, and the vulnerability of vehicles, most are't worth taking, unless they have some really powerful weapons and some resilience, like the PBC. Great to see some wins with the DG, though I'm not looking forward to facing them with my BA - As said, they seem a hard counter to everything BA can throw at them. 

I think DG are a hard counter to any melee armies. Unfortunately for me I'm the only person that really runs melee lists in my local area. 

I have done all infantry armies and I think a bit of extra mobility can be useful, that said my main mission seems to be to bring as many Plague Spewers as I can. I just think the 12" range and auto hit is all good, especially if you get box cars plus that stratagem. I will try to pull that off every game.