Best Patrol Box + Shrike to start a Raven Guard army with?

Helias_Tancred

I'd like to have 1k worth to play some games with, and its also a manageable amount to get fully painted too :smile.:  ... looks like I'm adding to my 11k Blood Angels and 8k Dark Angels. I wish it wasn't so penalizing to bring elements of two chapters to the tabletop (more for narrative, fluff and coolness reasons). 

Edited by Helias Tancred

I still think the Vangaurd box is a great deal for phobos units. But it all comes down to how you plan on playing your Ravengaurd on what units to get. Ravengaurd rely heavily on strats.

If you convert the reivers to incursors the spacewolves box is also a pretty good starter

Edited by War of the Eagle

Okay so the Vanguard Start Collecting is an auto-purchase. Check.

Now, out of the current existing Combat Patrol sets would go with that one the best? I'm thinking the new Dark Angel one?

I forgot to say that I also have two Vanguard Veteran boxes, along with Kayvaan Shrike :)

Vangaurd Vets are very fun right now. As to which box to get ontop of vangaurd starter, Id say either the Dark Angles, or maybe Death watch. You could use another HQ and either the ageessors or redemptors to be your daka bruisers. Apothocarys are pretty strong, tho inceptors are pretty thematic.

They all have their merits for adding to what you want to do. The Vanguard box is good IMO, I love running the Phobos Libby and there are a lot of strats that target Phobos units. You get 3 HQs out of it so you'll have options for what detachments you want to bring along since Shrike will bump you to 4. War of the Eagle is right - figure out how you want to play, which I realize can be hard if it's a new army. Our Chapter Tactic typically means you want to be at least 12 inches away and if you can be 18 even better but if you're staying that far away you're probably not scoring points.

Dark Angels Box gets you Inceptors and I am biased towards them, very thematic and they stick around if you can get them in cover. Dropping them in T2 with our super and tactical doctrine means exposed Characters are [usually] deleted or infantry blobs are. Redemptor is a decent unit but only T7.

Deathwatch gets you an Apothecary - and upgrading that to the Master Apothecary in your list is going to help other units stick around or come back. I ran a regular Apothecary in my last game and I think it's probably an auto-take for me now along with the upgrade to Master.

Of the four I personally think those two are the best ones, but that's considering what I would/have put into lists. I'd love to add a BA box to my forces but I've got a large enough backlog as it is, lol. Space Wolves would be my last choice just because Reivers aren't great.

I think Aggressors are just too effective with Raven Guard not to lean into. This makes the Blood Angel Combat Patrol box sing to me as a begining box. I say this having 2 sets of 5 Assault Bolter Inceptors I use in all my big games. I think the Impulsors are or more use to you than the Redemptor in the long run. You'll want Bladeguard eventually, and while I use MoA or the Infiltrators strat to push mine up the field, if I was building scratch I would want two Impulsors.