Contents of Drukhari Combat Patrol?

Rebel_40k

Hi there

I've been on the fence about getting into Dark Eldar for quite some time and think I should finally scratch that torturous itch and dive into the Dark City! 

What do you anticipate will be in the contents of the (hopefully) upcoming Drukhari combat patrol box? I'm more into the Kabals myself so personally i'd love to see some Kabalites, Venoms and maybe a Raider. I'm holding out on purchasing anything until we have some more info.

Hopefully we see some info in today's Sunday preview? 

Interested to hear the thoughts from seasoned Archons.

Cheers

Edited by Rebel_40k

The start collecting was wych centric, as is the upcoming Sisters vs DE box.

The Poison Blade box was Kabal Centric.

We need a Coven box. Here's hoping that some info about the DE release comes now that the DA pre-order is done.

The start collecting was wych centric, as is the upcoming Sisters vs DE box.

The Poison Blade box was Kabal Centric.

We need a Coven box. Here's hoping that some info about the DE release comes now that the DA pre-order is done.

That would make sense, and would be great for Coven fans. Have they done a Coven box in previous editions?

My only doubt with that is I imagine Coven's is the least popular type of Drukhari to play/collect, and we all know GW follows the popular vote for the £££. 

Well, you certainly picked a good time to start Deldar ! , a new dex next month ,a CrossFit version of Lelith coming in plastic !, as mentioned the latest box coming with Deldar is the sisters box with Wych cult in it (doesn’t help you greatly though) .. I do admit that I like playing wyches and kabalites as a fast moving team in venoms and raiders some shooty and some close combat ! (I hope the new dex helps me make this better and tougher).

Welcome to the Dark City... watch your back ! ;-)

Cheers Mithril

I'd be really pleased if they went with a Coven theme for the Combat Patrol; the Haemonculus and Wracks have been direct-only since quite soon after they came out and, to my knowledge, there's never been a bundle which included them.

That said I'm sure it will be Archon / Warriors / Raider / Scourges or similar, because it is always either that or Wyches.

It'd make for a nice change, I'd be on board with a Coven box too. With the seemingly continuous presentation of Wyches recently I feel that if there was a new Combat Patrol box it'd most probably be Kabalites.

Aside from starting with a Kabal have you thought about colour schemes and the like? Would you branch out into other parts of DE society or stick to the mercenaries to support your Kabal in battle?

It'd make for a nice change, I'd be on board with a Coven box too. With the seemingly continuous presentation of Wyches recently I feel that if there was a new Combat Patrol box it'd most probably be Kabalites.

Aside from starting with a Kabal have you thought about colour schemes and the like? Would you branch out into other parts of DE society or stick to the mercenaries to support your Kabal in battle?

I was thinking about Kabal of the Flayed Skull! I love the idea of an even faster Dark Eldar force that can terrorise and torture opponents at lightning speed.  

I just keep hoping for new stuff. I have 3 ravegers, 6 raiders and 6 venoms. 80 wyches, 80 warriors, 30 incubi, 90 hellions, 35 reavers, etc. Plastic grots would be nice theyre the only unit i dont own yet.

Yeah plastic Grotesques would be a real win for the faction, but I can't see it happening this time around unfortunately.

Don't forget pictures when you start painting :tu: There's a few topics that will help you out to get started and such but don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions as there will be someone who can help :)

Covens will benefit a lot when the range finally becomes all plastic - hopefully soon. I also hope that GW doesn't drop DE once this is done as I'd really like something new and fancy but as noted elsewhere I don't see that being anything but a way off. Would be very happy to be wrong!

As others have said, it's a great tme to get into DE! I imagine that the combat patrol will be Kabals purely for the fact that they're relatively easy to start to play (shooting units are generally a bit easier to use). It will depend on the codex but it has potential to be a mix of units. We'll find out soon enough!

Yeah, I'm hoping that the wind up hype will begin soon- like next week if we're lucky. I'm trying to plan my purchases for the month, and it's hard to do when I don't know the prerelease date or the cost of the Sisters vs DE box.

• 1 month later...

I'm bored on my coffee break so I thought I'd idly speculate a little on what a DE CP box might contain, and what I personally want from one.

The current Start Collecting box is showing as "Temporarily out of stock Online" in my GW online store. It's priced at €70 and contains 15 models: 11 infantry, 3 jetbikes and 1 small vehicle/transport.

All preceding Combat Patrol boxes are priced at €110 and contain around 14 models on average, usually with at least one vehicle/large model with a mix of infantry. (The outlier is the Death Guard box at 39 models, but 30 of those are Poxwalkers so I'm going to set that box aside for now.)

So if we compare your average CP box to our existing DE SC box we have a comparable model count but a price difference of €40, which is quite large. However, the various sculpts in the new Space Marine boxes are much more recent than the sculpts in the DE SC box and this, taken together with GW's arguably excessively inflationary approach to new Primaris mini pricing (especially characters), leads me to believe we'll see a larger model count in any new DE Combat Patrol box to make up that price gap of €40. We certainly won't get 39 models like the Death Guard as DE don't have a huge chaff unit like the Poxwalkers, but I think it's possible we'll see a 19-21 model count box for a DE CP box.

What would (or should?) a 20-ish model box of DE CP contain? The cynic in me says GW could just add 10 Kabalites to the existing SC in a repackaging and call it a day. Total price of everything individually comes to €136.50 which would offer a discount of €26.50 assuming the standard CP price of €110. That's actually fine (?), but not as good a discount offering as the existing SC box, but that seems to be the trend with the new Combat Patrols - still a discount, but a diminished discount versus the traditional SC boxes.

The DE half of the upcoming Piety & Pain battle box features Wyches, Scourges, a Venom and the new Lilith sculpt. I don't believe there's a release date for this yet, but given the theming of the box and the proximity of the confirmed DE Codex pre-order I think it's likely this box will be close on the heels of any Combat Patrol box release for DE. If the new DE CP box also contains Wyches and a Venom, this would be a considerable overlap in contents for two bundle boxes releasing reasonably close to each other. Maybe GW have a glut of Wyches and Venoms sitting around in their warehouses to shift and will stick them in as many boxes as they can. Or, maybe, they'll look to move as much variety of DE product as they can as part of the new DE Codex release and the new DE CP box will contain something a bit different.

Which brings me to what I want/am wishing for in a DE CP box. I personally prefer the look of the Kabalite models to the Wyches, so would prefer they were the central infantry choice in the new box. DE don't currently have massive a amount of choices for leader/lieutenant models like Space Marines, so if Kabalites are the largest model count in the box it'd make sense that we see an Archon model thrown in as the leader choice. That's 11 models. To get us into our speculated model count range you could add in a unit of Hellions or Scourges with some Jetbikes, but I would love to see a Raider and a unit of Incubi to round out the box instead. 

I've no idea if 1 Archon, 10 Kabalites, 1 Raider and 5 Incubi makes a good/legal/playable tabletop force (and it's "only" 17 models) but I'm a painter/collector first and foremost and this is what I'd want as my little warband. Individual pricing of all these is €132, so a €110 CP box isn't beyond the realm of bundle discount possibility.

Anyway, that's just me thinking out loud and I'm of course massively biased because of my model preferences, but if the box has my wishlist contents then it's an instabuy for me.

Edited by EmpiricalReed

Given the collection I already have, I really don't need the CP box unless it includes a Raider, Wracks or Hellions. If it has any of those things, I'll consider it. If it has two or more of those, it's almost a guaranteed sale. Hope they show us what's going to be in the box next week- I think that's standard practice.

It could be a way to get more than 5 wracks at a time.

I had wanted plastic grotesques- the box could have been 1 Haemonculus, 10 wracks, 3 grotesques and the obligatory venom.

Since we aren't getting grotesques, maybe swap them out for a raider?

But see that would make to much sense. Platic grots woulda been better than a new lelith.

Must be why we're not gonna see them for another decade.

But in all seriousness, we're basically stuck with one of 2 options for Combat Patrols/Start Collecting boxes for a good while unless GW somehow decides to show DE a sliver of love.  Either Archon, Kabalites, Raider/Venom, and Scourges or Succubi, Wyches, Raider/Venom, and Reavers/Hellions/Scourges.  Covens just lacks the Pre-req FA slot they give the other two parts of the army, and there's slim to no chance they'll change that when they can sucker people into buying the worst part of the codex to start.

Yeah, I'm really stoked about this. I don't have any ravagers or raiders, so I could see picking up more than one of these over time. The CP boxes actually have staying power too, whereas Piety and Pain will probably sell out on prerelease day.

Good for new players that those boxes combo so well.

Still would have liked Coven, but I can't complain with a Ravager and a Raider.

That's a damn good box, I was expecting Venoms and scourges but they actually did it.

As for pricing, thus far all Combat Patrol boxes are £85, I don't think they'd change that. Considering the Archon, Ravager and Incubi together are just over 85 that's not bad at all, makes for decent saving especially if bought third party