Unit of the Week: Hive Guard

Xenith

++HIVE GUARD++

LvLnMIE.jpg

We have a new unit of the week! This week it's Hive Guard, one of the newer, but Iconic Tyranid Elite choices, and one of the better shooting options in the army. What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a unit of them?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • What size unit? Will you be running multiple units?
  • What Hive Fleet Traits, Adaptations and Stratagems do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?

Over to you.

Edited by Xenith

These guys have been absolute monsters for me in-game. The Impaler cannons are my preferred choice, as we dont really see many vehicles in-game, and the impalers do a decent job also. D3Dam is decent for plinkng away at MEQ who get wounded on a 2+. My squad of 3 can usually wipe half a primaris unit per turn, or more with Single Minded Annihilation. Last game they were my MVP's killing off a servo turret in one round, giving my big beasties free reign over the battlefield.

I'd probably jump to a unit of 5, giving me 10 shots per tun on average, while not making them vulnerable to blasts, and allowing me to use SMI on other units if needed.

Some backfield synapse, and decent LOS blocking terrain is needed for these guys. I think they even got a point drop in the last FAQ, which is ace.  

Ignoring LoS is their main appeal, but they hit quite hard too. On a pretty good platform too for an overall attractive package - I can see why they are popular choices. Decent enough on their own but they fill a hole for nids too plus the models are great (but most nid models are). They are high on my list once I've completed more of what I have so I'm keen to hear more about what people do and get from them :thumbsup:

I run a Kronos Swarm so Hive Guard are the first on any list.

Followed closely by the Exocrine.

WarriorFish, you should definitely get either or both. They’re arguably the best units in the Tyranid codex!

I’m not overly struck on Carnifexes, I find they’re a bit over costed for what they bring.

I’d rather have Zoanthropes (another great unit) and more troops.

I like Carnifexes too much to pass them up (as nid Dreads) :P They could do with being a bit better though.

The issue I always see on a good unit, especially in situations like this (stand out unit generally, but also filling a notable gap) is that if you load up on them you're asking for trouble when changes come - as they inevitably do. I generally only take a single squad of such models anyway, but if you were to increase the squad size you're probably going to be a bit overkill and invite trouble for it?

I think having a balanced army is always best. Taking 3x6 probably isn't a great idea, but being able to field one full unit, or 2x3 is only a good thing for your collection, and your army building options. 

As I recall, Hive guard have been a staple of most competitive nid lists since like 5th edition. They've been consistenly good.

As Jud Says, a common tactic is to have a Kronos detachment of:

Neurothrope with Symbiostorm

3 Rippers

5 Hive Guard

1-2 Exocrines

to provide the shooty support. Being able to reroll 1's is great, and the psychic/shooty nature of Kronos synergises amazingly well with these unit choices.