+Liber Astartes Swap Challenge 2021: Event AAR (p.7)+

Dosjetka

Yay! 30 more days to procrastinate for a last day effort!

-ring ring!-

-ring ring!-

-ring ring!-

-click-

Hello, yes this is Brother Cambrius speaking. ...No I did not ask for such a call out. Yes. Yes. Emperor guide your hand too. Bye.

-clunk-

:tongue.:

At least this means I don't have to worry a little more about finding time between election result reporting later this week.

Some of the models submitted in the past 24 hours though are superb, especially mastering the Quartered scheme with Brother Argent's first image! Well done all. :thumbsup:

Cambrius

Edited by Brother Cambrius

Brother Kyknos, Honored Reclusiarch, you are not forgotten, I promise you. Both of your models will be complete by the end of May, you just fell victim to lack of sufficient paint to execute the schemes properly, and lack of time to do them justice (shakes fist in general direction of the real world's responsibilities). In the interim I offer you a progress picture, to whet your appetites.

image0.jpg

You´re making two for me? That´s nice! In case it didn´t show in the article (too lazy to look it up now), their breastplate is white. Thanks for the effort!

Edited by Kyknos of Athena

Ah, no, progress shot for you and Brother Argent. I apologize, Brother Argent is also known as the 'Unofficial Reclusiarch of the Liber' so one for you and one for him.

Sorry for the confusion :sweat:

Hello folks,

Sorry for keeping you all hanging: there's been some Covid shenanigans going on recently in my family and I'm now going to be put on a 10-day quarantine. I'm sorting stuff out with work as a first priority and then I should have time to update this thread either later or tomorrow.

Again, sorry for the wait. I'll be back ASAP.

Cheers,

Dos

*phew*

Right, sorry for the long wait, folks! It's been a chaotic past few days so far. Thank you for bearing with me!

+] Preliminary After Action Report [+

It's been an odd few months, not going to lie, but despite this a pretty hefty number of people decided to join this event and participate with their DIY Chapters and Warbands. For this, I am very grateful and glad! :smile.: I hope that, despite the delays and real life situation, you all managed to draw a measure of fun and escapism from this event.

It has been fantastic to see your various creations come to life, first in text and image form, and then finally in model form! Personally, the last part is my favourite part and it has been great to see people put paint to plastic.

A big thank you to all who participated and made this event, in my view, worthwhile. :smile.:

Now, without further ado, here are the preliminary results:

Results:

At the end of Phase 2, we are left with the following situation:

Entries: 23

Completions - Phase 1: 23

Completions - Phase 2: 14

Completion rate: 60.87%

Congratulations to Halandaar, Ace Debonair, Zebulon, Trokair, Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch (completed 1/2 of his vow), Doctor Perils, Brother Tyler (close enough for govt work), Brother Lunkhead, Brother Argent (3/5 painted) for their completed models and vows! Fantastic effort from the lot of you, even if all of your vows are not 100% complete! :thumbsup:

For those who completed their vow of one model, you get to wear the following banner:

gallery_45765_12339_19987.png

gallery_45765_12339_505.png

For those of you who completed their vow of two or more models, you get to wear the following banner to mark your brave and bold commitment to this event and your fellow Frater:

gallery_45765_12339_25252.png

gallery_45765_12339_5001.png

For those among you who failed to fully complete your Phase 2 vow (this includes DPL and our resident Reclusiarch, Brother Argent)...

...well, we can definitely do better (last time, the completion rate was 76.7%): many of you are so very close to completing your models and that last time there was an extra month given to complete your model(s). Therefore...

You have until Monday 7th June 23:59 in your timezone to complete any unfinished vows!

That way everyone should have the chance to 1) finish their models and 2) see their Chapter represented in model form as is only fair. :smile.:

Should you manage to fully complete your vow by the aforementioned date, you may wear the following banner as a token of redemption in the eyes of the Emperor and/or the Dark Gods:

gallery_45765_12339_4623.png

gallery_45765_12339_3260.png

Thanks again for bearing with me and for participating in this event! I look forward to seeing more completed models (including my own!) over the coming days and weeks! Take care, folks, and I look forward to interacting with you all soon. :biggrin.:

• 2 weeks later...

Hope everyone is doing well. This year's LASC has been a very nice diversion during these crazy times. My thanks to Dosjetka for setting up this challenge and doing all the hard work. Great job brother:thumbsup: For those on the Road to Redemption, I'm looking forward to seeing finished minis by 7 June. I know there have been a lot of real world obstacles preventing many from devoting the time they would wish to spend on this project, not to mention modeling supply shortages. In the end, I think it's important to finish with what you've got, even if your final submission isn't up to your personal standards and skills. Whatever you submit is a victory over the challenges of our time, and in that light this will be some of your best work:yes:

Personally, I'm using this redemption deadline to make some improvements on my rushed submissions. There's some annoying flash on the left arms on   D-PL's Dawn Blades that I want to eliminate and some battle damage to add. On Brother Argent's White Talon, the white is almost lost in the details, so I'll add some more to that. I'll be adding some text to each picture that  I didn't have time to add with my first post. The photos themselves are too bright, so I hope to reduce and defuse that a bit.  D-PL and Brother Argent, if you have any suggestions and feedback, I'd appreciate your views here.

Be well all and hobby on:woot:

Well I am very happy to announce some substantial progress of Reclusiarch Dektis Okores of the War Borne for Brother Argent:

med_gallery_26154_4148_214376.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_165847.jpg

I just spotted that pesky bit of blue on the upper part of his backpack, I'll rectify that alongside the rest of the fine detailing still to be done, including markings, cleaning up the Chapter icon and highlighting etc.

I managed to find half a bottle of Devlan Mud earlier this year, with much reverence and ceremony, Reclusiarch Okores was the first to be blessed with this most sacred of rare unguents and it's worked pretty nicely on the bronze and base.

We're almost there my fellow Liberites. Let's see this event's challenge through. :biggrin.:

Cambrius

Edited by Brother Cambrius

My interpretation of Brother Kyknos’s Twlight Warden is finished!

image0.jpg

Sorry the picture’s a tad shoddy, but I have never claimed to be a good photographer and being away from home meant my typical strategy of ‘find a bunch of printer paper’ didn’t quite work.

Hopefully now I can concentrate on the Star Leopard at all possible speed.

Well I have finished all my five other then bases.  I have been hit by some serious lack of hobby mojo (thank you depression and all its lovely foibles) and have barely touched brushes in a month but I am there finally.  I just need to get some good photos and warm up the old fluff cogitator and I am good to go...

As we reach the end of the end of LASC 2021, I wanted to do some touch ups on the models for my representations of Brother D-PL's Dawn Blades and Brother Argent's White Talons. I wasn't at all happy with my initial presentation and felt it did not pay adequate respect to Brother Argent's and Diamyo-Phaeron Lenoch's works. As my LFGS's are still short on hobby supplies, I couldn't get the paints and such needed for a proper go. But, the least I can do is give a proper narrative to honor these worthy chapters. I hope you will forgive presumption in taking some artistic license in my interpretations.

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch's Dawn Blades Chapter

med_gallery_49400_16060_181314.jpg

Brother Sergeant Koro (left) and Sartanus (right) size each other up (and down) prepare to march into

battle. Brother Sergeant Koro is armed with a sacred relic combi-plasma bolter, while Brother Sartanus

bears his trusty bolt rifle, "Lead Belcher".

Brother Sergeant Koro commands 3rd Tactical Squad of the 2nd Company. In his sixty years of service to the Dawn Blades, he has fought many battles in the name of the Emperor of Mankind and seen many strange things. He has taken it all in stride. But these new Primaris Marines..... they are something he never imagined, and doesn't know quite what to make of them. They are......BIG:yes:

Sartanus, just Sartanus...... not even recognized by his adoptive chapter as Brother. He and his fellow Primaris Brothers are in service to the Chapter's Forge as little more than gene-slaves, rankless and barely tolerated. But, Sartanus is first among equals. A former Brother Captain in Primarch Guilliman's Unnumbered Sons, he is a veteran of the Indomitus Crusade and proudly wears the heraldry of the Grey Shields on his left paldron. It is an honor bestowed upon him by the Primarch, and even his reluctant Chapter dare not strip this honor from him. In spite of the heavy burden laid upon him and his fellow gene-slaves, Sartanus is neither bitter or resentful. He is a soldier of the Emperor, and he will serve with a willing heart in whatever way he is called to. To that end, in the rare times the Forge Primaris are called to war, Sartanus and his brothers weld lengths of admantium chain across their backs. The chain is their Oath of Moment, and symbolizes their loyalty to the Chapter they are bonded to. The chain is a symbol not only of their loyalty but of their bondage and the shame of their Chapter. In these times, Sartanus reminds his brothers that they are blooded Astartes all, in service to the Emperor, and no matter what form that service comes, all service is honor.

Brother Argent's White Talons

med_gallery_49400_16060_301305.jpg

Raptor Ric (background left) and Warp Talon Tom (foreground right) prepare for a busy day of

murder and mayhem in the name of..... well..... murder and mayhem:wink:

The Raptors and Warp Talons of the White Talons, like most of their kind are pure predators. They are more birds of prey than Space Marines. They are eternally bonded to their armor, which with each passing year, more and more takes on the appearance of a hellish avian predator, just as the Marine entombed in that armor is consumed by those instincts and characteristics. Their service is neither to chapter nor the gods of chaos, but to the hunt. They are loyal only so long as their chapter provides the best killing ground.

I must confess that the White Talons minis, in spite of all of the details that had to be painted, as well as the split paint scheme (blue/steel) were the easiest and most fun to paint. I think I owe it to the Leadbelcher spray I primed them with. This base made them much easier to paint than any other base I've used to date. I gave the Warp Talon an after wash with Druchii Violet shade to give it a hint of fresh out of the warp and ready to murder you look.

I hope everyone had as much fun with this challenge as I did. Thanks again Brother Dos..... GREAT JOB:thumbsup:

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Some incredible models in here, brothers. :biggrin.:
Your efforts make the Liber proud!

One of the best things about the LASC is seeing all these Chapters come to life, really gets me motivated to get back into painting stuff. :biggrin.:

Well I have finished all my five other then bases.  I have been hit by some serious lack of hobby mojo (thank you depression and all its lovely foibles) and have barely touched brushes in a month but I am there finally.  I just need to get some good photos and warm up the old fluff cogitator and I am good to go...

Stay strong, brother. Getting one model done is a challenge, taking on five at once is borderline lunacy (in the best possible way). Remember, slow and steady wins the race. If you hit a block with the fluff, remember your Brothers always have your back. :thumbsup:

I gave the Warp Talon an after wash with Druchii Violet shade to give it a hint of fresh out of the warp and ready to murder you look.

I'm so glad you mentioned that, I spent a few minutes trying to work out what you'd done to get that effect on some of the metal. :laugh.:

For the record, I am shamelessly going to steal this idea when I get around to painting more warp-connected Chaos stuff.:tongue.:

I gave the Warp Talon an after wash with Druchii Violet shade to give it a hint of fresh out of the warp and ready to murder you look.

I'm so glad you mentioned that, I spent a few minutes trying to work out what you'd done to get that effect on some of the metal. :laugh.:

For the record, I am shamelessly going to steal this idea when I get around to painting more warp-connected Chaos stuff.:tongue.:

Feel free to do so Brother:yes:

I'm going to use Tom there as a test bed for more warp effects...... gloss varnish and some drippy warp juice from dyed clear resin or slow cure epoxy. I'd prefer resin, but that's in short supply now and epoxy in all it's forms is in plentiful supply. The trick in all this is mainly not to over do it. I don't want it to look like this.......

med_gallery_49400_16059_70808.jpg

That would be bad:wacko.:

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

As we reach the end of the end of LASC 2021, I wanted to do some touch ups on the models for my representations of Brother D-PL's Dawn Blades and Brother Argent's White Talons. I wasn't at all happy with my initial presentation and felt it did not pay adequate respect to Brother Argent's and Diamyo-Phaeron Lenoch's works. As my LFGS's are still short on hobby supplies, I couldn't get the paints and such needed for a proper go. But, the least I can do is give a proper narrative to honor these worthy chapters. I hope you will forgive presumption in taking some artistic license in my interpretations.

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch's Dawn Blades Chapter

med_gallery_49400_16060_181314.jpg

Brother Sergeant Koro (left) and Sartanus (right) size each other up (and down) prepare to march into

battle. Brother Sergeant Koro is armed with a sacred relic combi-plasma bolter, while Brother Sartanus

bears his trusty bolt rifle, "Lead Belcher".

Brother Sergeant Koro commands 3rd Tactical Squad of the 2nd Company. In his sixty years of service to the Dawn Blades, he has fought many battles in the name of the Emperor of Mankind and seen many strange things. He has taken it all in stride. But these new Primaris Marines..... they are something he never imagined, and doesn't know quite what to make of them. They are......BIG:yes:

Sartanus, just Sartanus...... not even recognized by his adoptive chapter as Brother. He and his fellow Primaris Brothers are in service to the Chapter's Forge as little more than gene-slaves, rankless and barely tolerated. But, Sartanus is first among equals. A former Brother Captain in Primarch Guilliman's Unnumbered Sons, he is a veteran of the Indomitus Crusade and proudly wears the heraldry of the Grey Shields on his left paldron. It is an honor bestowed upon him by the Primarch, and even his reluctant Chapter dare not strip this honor from him. In spite of the heavy burden laid upon him and his fellow gene-slaves, Sartanus is neither bitter or resentful. He is a soldier of the Emperor, and he will serve with a willing heart in whatever way he is called to. To that end, in the rare times the Forge Primaris are called to war, Sartanus and his brothers weld lengths of adamantium chain across their backs. The chain is their Oath of Moment, and symbolizes their loyalty to the Chapter they are bonded to. The chain is a symbol not only of their loyalty but of their bondage and the shame of their Chapter. In these times, Sartanus reminds his brothers that they are blooded Astartes all, in service to the Emperor, and no matter what form that service comes, all service is honor.

Phenomenal writeup, brother. I love your interpretation of brother Sartanus and how he's internalized that he's only good for battle. Even though he used to be a captain! That's a hell of a downgrade and even though I created this situation I can't imagine the gaslighting et al he underwent for him to accept this. Excellently grimdark.

(I am curious though which shame are you referring to?)