Legio Fureans - Titanicus Newbie

Inktopus

I've been looking at Titanicus for a while and finally decided to get started. Unfortunately, none of my current gamer friends are in a spot to take the plunge with me, so I'm going to build two Titan Legios. I know it's going to be slower and more expensive than just building one force, but I figure I've got some advantages doing it this way. One, I can introduce new people into the game way more easily, since I can show up with everything needed to play. Two, I'm not locked into one paint scheme, so I'm less likely to get bored. And three, I'm less locked into a specific force's rules.

So far, here's what I've decided. I'm going to do one custom loyalist Legio (purple and either black or white, likely with some leftover Carcharodons decals because why not) and one traitor Legio. For the traitors, purely for paint scheme alone, I'm leaning heavily toward Legio Fureans. That yellow and black looks challenging but really fun to paint.

I have a few questions, though. Currently I have the Titanicus starter box, so 2 Reavers, 2 Warhounds, and 2 Cerastus Knights. I've also got a Warlord with sunfury plasma annihilators and Arioch power claw, and a Nemesis Warbringer is on the way. If I'm going to build two forces that play differently, are there any must-haves that I should buy next?

I know eventually I'll need Titandeath for the Fureans rules, and I have Defense of Ryza ordered so I can make a custom Legio.

Also, with what I've got so far, are there any loadouts that are must-have or must-avoid? I'm looking to play at least once or twice with just the contents of the starter box with a friend to get a feel for the game, once I get everything built and hopefully painted.

Edited by Inktopus

I know eventually I'll need Titandeath for the Fureans rules, and I have Defense of Ryza ordered so I can make a custom Legio.

As a heads up, there's a loyalist legions book coming out soontm and the promise of a traitor book at some point as well. We don't know if the legion rules are likely to change or not but there's a risk that Titandeath will become outdated in the near future. As such you might want to hold off purchasing Titandeath, maybe just use screengrabs or summaries of their rules for now.

There's very few must-avoid loadouts, which is nice, and only a handful of loadouts which aren't must-haves so much as 'so good others need some justification': the classic would be the versatile vulcan megabolter/plasma blastgun loadout for the Warhound. Above all it's worth emphasising the value of magnetising your titans so you can swap things out as you please. The Warlord and Warbringer are purpose built for this and it doesn't take much effort to do the same for the Warhounds and (to a lesser extent) the Reavers. You've probably heard it before but seriously, this is the most magnet-friendly game GW makes.

For general tips, it's worth having a look at some of Goonhammer's Warlord Wednesday articles. Here's the piece on Legio Fureans, with suggestions on maniple composition and loadouts, and it's worth looking at the articles for specific titans as well. 

What you’ve got sounds decent.

If you’re purchasing more, consider a box of Warhounds. This gives you enough Reavers and Warhounds to make two opposing 750 Maniples. This would be a good starting point for intro games (I’m currently working towards getting these three Titans painted for my second ever game) and has the added advantage that it can be used for quite a few different maniples.

Dallo

My advice for buying more stuff is to always get what you find cool. Army selection is actually enormously flexible in AT and all kinds of compositions can work.

Fureans are a slight exception to this. They have an excellent strat that allows all the titans in a maniple to fire a gun twice. This means you generally want your whole force to be in the same maniple to get maximum effect. There are still loads of maniples out there though, so it’s not hugely restrictive.

If you want two factions then you could try and make them roughly match each other, or else go for one heavy and one light force.

Warbringers are a bit awkward because only a few maniples include them. There’s now a maniple with a warlord, warbringer, reaver and two hounds though.

I’d generally recommend getting one of each kind of warlord. It’s the best way to get the two weapon sprues. You could do worse than to get the grand master edition, but this is a very non-essential purchase. For two opposing forces it’s not mad to have three warlords and you’ll probably make good use of the terrain and knights too. But warlords work best if you mix in some resin guns, which dramatically adds to the cost of the things.

The GME also gives you handy stuff like thick terminals, dice, templates and so on that will help if you’re trying to cater for two players. Of course, a second set of the newer starter would have most of this too.

Welcome Princeps Inktopus!

In terms of books, I'd hold off on getting any more yet. The basic rules have everything you need initially, and you may find your interest changing over the course of learning the game, so a book that sounds interesting now... later, not as much.

For miniatures, I think Dallo has it right with picking up some more Warhounds. It may not be what your Legio uses at the end of all this, but it's a great mix for teaching the game.

So I've decided to paint up all my current Titanicus stuff before I go buy any more, but I'm fairly sure my next purchase will be more Warhounds. Paint-wise, I think I'm going to go with Legio Fureans all the way, but to be able to have two forces, I'm considering painting half of my Titans black with yellow flames rather than yellow with black flames. I'm not 100% sure, though. I still may go with a purple/black/white scheme for half of them.

In any case, I've pretty much finished the main body of a Warhound. Still need to add in magnets (which are on order from Amazon) and build/paint the weapons, as well as adding some decal transfers. Next on the bench will probably be one of my two Reavers. 

Overall, I'm about as happy with this Warhound as I could be. I could use a couple light touch ups on the yellow that show up in the pictures, but are kind of hard to see in person. I'm really excited for this force and to hopefully get a couple of games in, ideally by the end of the month. 

P4UwcQ6.jpg

AGgbmsG.jpg

SZE9MpD.jpg

My Nemesis Warbringer arrived today. I'm not 100% sold on its looks - it's a little top heavy - but I did have a couple questions. Are its rules in a separate book, or is it all covered already because it's using Warlord/Reaver weapons? And also, does it have any capability to take any carapace weapon other than the volcano cannon and quake cannon, or are things like a Sunfury Plasma Annihilator out of the question?

Still assembling my models, but I'm hoping to get in a practice game with a friend maybe next weekend. Until then, I'm still just watching battle reports on Youtube and going through the rulebook. Defense of Ryza should be here either tonight or tomorrow, though.

Though they're meant to be Flames for established Legios, there's nothing saying you can't make them Manes for yours!

You might want to keep doing the flame/mane effect along the front/top edge of the carapace, which looks a little bare right now.

I was actually thinking the same thing after looking at it for a bit this afternoon. I'm going to add some decals and then take another look to see if it needs more, but even if I don't add more flames on this one, I definitely will on the next one.

The Warbringer’s rules are in the box. You can have a quake cannon or bellicosa on top ans any of the non-melee reaver arms. It’s possible that they’ll release some more weapon options in future for it and other titans. They did for the warhound, for example, with Ursus claws.

Am I missing something, or does the Warlord not come with a command terminal in the box?

The Warbringer’s rules are in the box. You can have a quake cannon or bellicosa on top ans any of the non-melee reaver arms. It’s possible that they’ll release some more weapon options in future for it and other titans. They did for the warhound, for example, with Ursus claws.

That's a really cool way to release rules for new models. Hopefully they release some new options for it just for variety's sake. 

The Warlord never used to come with a command terminal, no. Neither did the reaver or warhounds. It would definitely be better if they did. When AT started they didn't have the thin card terminals you get in the starter and the thick card ones are pretty expensive. If you want them, a good option is to look for the old rules box or potentially the GME. Both come with two thick terminals for the Warlord, Reaver and Warhound - and questoris knights.

The Warlord never used to come with a command terminal, no. Neither did the reaver or warhounds. It would definitely be better if they did. When AT started they didn't have the thin card terminals you get in the starter and the thick card ones are pretty expensive. If you want them, a good option is to look for the old rules box or potentially the GME. Both come with two thick terminals for the Warlord, Reaver and Warhound - and questoris knights.

Ouch. That's disappointing. The old rules pack is $50 on Ebay. I'll have to see if my friend might want a copy of the rules since I already have the book from the starter set. And the GME is a little out of my price range at $400ish on Ebay right now.

You can get a pack of mixed terminals from GWhttps://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Adeptus-Titanicus-Titan-Command-Terminals-EN-2020

You also used to be able to get packs of five terminals for either Warlords, Reavers or Warhounds but it looks like they've stopped making those. Might be able to find them online though, you never know what an LGS might have taken a punt on.

Dragonlover

Ouch. That's disappointing. The old rules pack is $50 on Ebay. I'll have to see if my friend might want a copy of the rules since I already have the book from the starter set. And the GME is a little out of my price range at $400ish on Ebay right now.

You can still pick up the GME from GW. Don't look at the silly eBay prices. Speaking of eBay, you can always flog the spare rule book on ebay for £5 or something. It's what I did with mine.

You can get a pack of mixed terminals from GWhttps://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Adeptus-Titanicus-Titan-Command-Terminals-EN-2020

You also used to be able to get packs of five terminals for either Warlords, Reavers or Warhounds but it looks like they've stopped making those. Might be able to find them online though, you never know what an LGS might have taken a punt on.

Dragonlover

I'll have to pick up a pack of those, then. That's probably going to be the cheapest way to get the thick cardboard ones. 

You can still pick up the GME from GW. Don't look at the silly eBay prices. Speaking of eBay, you can always flog the spare rule book on ebay for £5 or something. It's what I did with mine.

Really? I haven't been able to find it on the GW site. Maybe it's not available in the US anymore?