Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fixing the problem of Monopose Flayed Ones

Flayed Ones Ideas Conversion

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

++ ARGENTARIUS IRACUNDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 17,801 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
So this is an issue I've noticed GW has let creep in over the years for most of their models, though admittedly Flayed Ones have never had a multi-pose kit, but what can we do about our Flayed Ones for when, as expected, the kit released will be 5 monopose models?

This isn't supposed to be a GW bashing thread, we can save that for elsewhere (I have my issues with the new models as much as anyone of course) but what about our collective resources here? Can we provided each other good conversion guides, should we use 3D printing sources or alternative models as advice?

Maybe just kitbashing and reposing guides would suffice?

The main problem comes here from being limited to just 5 unique models from a unit that ideally needs to be in units of 15 or more.

Edited by Captain Idaho, 03 February 2021 - 07:32 PM.

I've started up a new YouTube channel! Please support me as I attempt to grow it.

Serious Geeks

Miek

Miek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 303 posts
  • Faction: Necrons
I lean towards 3d printing. It's arguably evil~ish, but it's relatively easy with a modern resin printer, economical beyond a certain volume (especially with FW models), and "3d kitbashing" is a joy. I'm pretty sure sharing resources here would be against the forum's policy but I'd be happy to help anyone looking into it. My alternative flayed ones are shown in my dynasty's thread.

There are tons of free and cheap 3d resources one can pull from to create original models. I use meshmixer to manipulate those, but I want to learn blender to take it further.

To create new pieces, I use onshape (a 3d web based modeling app).
  • Captain Idaho likes this

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 17,801 posts
Oops I didn't mean to suggest providing sources for 3D printing, rather as advice. Will clarify above.

You answered exactly how I intended anyway. Thanks.
  • Miek likes this
I've started up a new YouTube channel! Please support me as I attempt to grow it.

Serious Geeks

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 17,801 posts
When the release comes out, I look forward to seeing what reposing and conversion work can be done too.

Serious Geeks

dice4thedicegod

dice4thedicegod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 873 posts
I’d made a thread about a pretty quick/easy conversion for flayed ones (using indomitus necron warriors) that might help:

http://www.bolterand...s/#entry5587575
  • Captain Idaho and Miek like this

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 17,801 posts
That, good sir, is an amazing link. I actually think I could pull off such a conversion.

Let's talk advice on getting it done... what about the options for different hands/weapons?

I fancy something more claw based. What options are there out there, including other kits?

Serious Geeks

dice4thedicegod

dice4thedicegod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 873 posts
Thanks!

I used the blades from chaos lightning claws (as they have a bit more character than loyalist ones). Probably anything sharp or barbed looking or hooked would do. Could do an eBay search for cheap sigmar weapon bits? Or, if going literal claws, I wonder if undead range would have anything among ghouls (or daggers from nighthaunts)

Kristoff

Kristoff

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,691 posts

A while back when I had 2 big boxes of Necron sprues, I was thinking about taking the Ghost Ark Warriors and adding Termagaunt blades to them.  Sold off my lot before I got the bits to try them out.

BT_Chaos_at_the_Gates_Banner.jpg
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

QUOTE (Megavolt)
"They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Flayed Ones, Ideas, Conversion

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users