Deathwatch - What New Units?

techsoldaten

In 9th edition, Deathwatch have access to all the units in Codex: Space Marines. Working out how Codex units compare with Kill Team options isn't always cut and dry.

Thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for discussing possibilities.

A few of the units I'm looking at right now:

- Land Speeder Tornado - 80 points for a T6 6W model with 16" movement and 9 S5+ shots seems a good deal. Comparable to the price of 3 or 4 DWBG / SS Vanguard Vets, has move movement and higher toughness. Good for grabbing objectives early game and denying deep strike opportunities.

- Stormhawk Interceptor - 185 points for for T7 10W flyer that puts out about 18 shots seems pretty good, especially if you are also fielding a Corvus Blackstar. This would force opponents to choose between the two, increasing the odds one survives past early game. Compares with 5 man Proteus Kill Teams in terms of shot output and wounds for fewer points.

What are you thinking about?

How about this:

-Terax Pattern Termite Drill -- T8 14W 3+ save vehicle that can Deep Strike, unload 12 DW models (so a full Kill Team plus two characters), unleash 5 melta shots and 8 Volkite shots, then charge in with 3 x S14 AP-4 Dmg 3+D3 attacks.

Unlike a Drop Pod, it can continue to move all game long, taking objectives, assaulting other units, even blocking enemy LOS. With a Librarian casting Psychic Fortress it gains a 5++, making it quite tough at holding Objectives and difficult to remove.

I think it really shines alongside a shooty Kill Team, since it provides a complementary melee threat that can absorb enemy attention away from the Marines (or even keep them safe for a turn... they don't have to disembark and they also have the option to re-embark when necessary.

Edited by L30n1d4s

Some great units for us i think are:

Company Champion = nice little character killer, upgrade to chapter champion and it becomes a blender, also a great model for the dominus aegis, all for only 70pts

TECHMARINES = so so so useful, especially the primaris one who comes with a heavy bolter essentially, a steal at 80pts to keep your dreads or tanks going

Phobos captain = 12 inch reserves denial, vanguard deployment and a sniper rifle is a pretty good deal! 95 pts

Eliminators = Need i say more?

Invictor Warsuit = for 160 Pts you get a tough little walker with vanguard deployment, not too shabby

How about this:

-Terax Pattern Termite Drill -- T8 14W 3+ save vehicle that can Deep Strike, unload 12 DW models (so a full Kill Team plus two characters), unleash 5 melta shots and 8 Volkite shots, then charge in with 3 x S14 AP-4 Dmg 3+D3 attacks.

Unlike a Drop Pod, it can continue to move all game long, taking objectives, assaulting other units, even blocking enemy LOS. With a Librarian casting Psychic Fortress it gains a 5++, making it quite tough at holding Objectives and difficult to remove.

I think it really shines alongside a shooty Kill Team, since it provides a complementary melee threat that can absorb enemy attention away from the Marines (or even keep them safe for a turn... they don't have to disembark and they also have the option to re-embark when necessary.

Let's talk about that. Played a Drill with my Black Legion army in 8th edition, many things to like about it.

Comparison with 2 Drop Pods:

- Costs about the same.

- 2 Drop Pods have nearly twice the transport capacity.

- 2 Drop Pods can cover 2 objectives.

- Drop Pods with doors down cover a larger area. Depending on how you play it, this can deny movement / charges over a much bigger area.

This is a unit where I could go either way.

I’m adding an Ironclad Dreadnought, two heavy flamers, chainfist, Dccw. Going to see how well he tanks the center.

Talk a little bit about how it compares with other options. I'd like to hear how it stands up points / statswise against a cc Kill Team.

I´ve got three landspeeders to magnetize for various loadouts.

Also got an attackbike and a predator tank.

For HQ:s I´ll add apotechary, techmarine, ancient and company champion.

Also ordered a box of Cathapratcii (sp?!) termies for a relic termie unit.

I´m not a competitive player by any means so the additions Im thinking about are more for rule of cool.

I´ve got three landspeeders to magnetize for various loadouts.

Also got an attackbike and a predator tank.

For HQ:s I´ll add apotechary, techmarine, ancient and company champion.

Also ordered a box of Cathapratcii (sp?!) termies for a relic termie unit.

I´m not a competitive player by any means so the additions Im thinking about are more for rule of cool.

My group is also not competitive. So that means I look for cool as well. I love the Ironclad and he might be a sub-par option, but if he gets to fight Bjorn or a Morkanaut and do some work, I’ll be happy.

Land speeders are also something I’m wanting to try.

The one difficulty is that I also play Ultramarines, so I want to keep units that both armies use to a minimum. So most likely the heavy vehicles will remain with my Ultramarines and the faster options go to the Deathwatch where I feel they make more sense.

If I decide to buy the Kill Team box- and that's a big if- Heavy Intercessors are the base unit for Indomitus Kill Teams; I have 3 Aggressors that have been waiting for teammates for a long time. I know I could just field them as Aggressors, but I really like Kill Teams- they are what make us unique. It's tempting.

The only thing stopping me is that I'm planning on getting Blood of the Phoenix this month AND getting the Sisters vs DE box as soon as it drops, so my Warhammer budget is tied up for a bit.

Either way, that'll be a new unit that I'm looking forward to playing with; it won't hit maximum utility until I get two more Aggressors so I can combat squad the team, but even at 8 models it should be fun.