Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How do you paint your Black Legion

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,763 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Got a box of Chaos Space Marines and started painting up as Black Legion as (yet another) sanity project during COVID. 

I used the "GW official" method on Warhammer TV but it came out.....rather 8bit. Blacks are very black and gold is very gold and it kind makes them look like Tron guys with the outlines. 

Pics of mine so far (Note: these were quick and thrown together, so excuse the background stuff)

Hidden Content

Just curious what methods/guides any of you use. 

I saw this one and I like the look of the more muted gold, but that could just be personal taste. 

EDIT: added pics. 

Edited by Indefragable, 03 February 2021 - 04:00 PM.

• battle captain corpus likes this

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

Syrakul

Syrakul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 338 posts
Depends what level of painter you are and time you wanna spend on them. I'm always looking for shortcuts, so my take (probably dismissed by better painters, understandable) would be:
Bluish black: After black undercoat, heavy drybrush with kantor blue or dark reaper, lighter drybrush (higher edge catching) with thunderhawk blue.
Then heavy nuln wash, which brings it down to a deep blue-tinted black.
Then you can do top highlight with a high blue grey like celestra grey or fenrisan grey

For gold, again for speed I love retributor gold for quick covering then wash with reikland fleshshade, the blues and redish gold complement, with green eyes

Edited by Syrakul, 03 February 2021 - 04:10 PM.

• Son of Carnelian and Indefragable like this

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,098 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

For visual interest, paint the armour a blue black or a green black or something like that. The most popular way to do it, if you're edge highlighting everything, is to work up from incubi darkness/dark reaper/thunderhawk blue with ever-thinner highlights. If you can airbrush it's a walk in the park & you can apply filters with ease; this also minimises the need for edge highlighting.

The 'eavy metal team paint their BL with a tainted gold made by mixing liberator gold with dryad bark (you can see a very similar take on it here). Never done it myself, but I really like the look.

Me personally I've adopted a recipe from Duncan's website, which I won't post out of respect to paying customers. It gets results like this though, which I'm very fond of

• Son of Carnelian, Indefragable and Syrakul like this

"All I wish to hear from your imperfect world is the silence of its dead."

SanguinaryGuardsman

SanguinaryGuardsman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,192 posts

For visual interest, paint the armour a blue black or a green black or something like that. The most popular way to do it, if you're edge highlighting everything, is to work up from incubi darkness/dark reaper/thunderhawk blue with ever-thinner highlights. If you can airbrush it's a walk in the park & you can apply filters with ease; this also minimises the need for edge highlighting.

The 'eavy metal team paint their BL with a tainted gold made by mixing liberator gold with dryad bark (you can see a very similar take on it here). Never done it myself, but I really like the look.

Me personally I've adopted a recipe from Duncan's website, which I won't post out of respect to paying customers. It gets results like this though, which I'm very fond of

I tried using deepest darkest purple with slaanesh grey highlights out of an airbrush... it reads as greyish blue at a normal viewing distance (12" or more" but if you look really close (6" or less) you can see the purple!  Needless to say this was a failed painting experiment but I like it.   I think if I were to get a do over I would just paint them the way GW does but maybe add some weathering or targeted airbrush work on things like plasmaguns, flames, chaos runes, topknots, etc.   

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,098 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

I tried using deepest darkest purple with slaanesh grey highlights out of an airbrush... it reads as greyish blue at a normal viewing distance (12" or more" but if you look really close (6" or less) you can see the purple!  Needless to say this was a failed painting experiment but I like it.   I think if I were to get a do over I would just paint them the way GW does but maybe add some weathering or targeted airbrush work on things like plasmaguns, flames, chaos runes, topknots, etc.   

See what you can do there is just thin down a black (like really, really thin - 5 parts thinner to 1 part paint, something like that) and airbrush that as a filter/glaze over the armour to tone down the highlights down and make the end result more subtle. Unifies & ties together the paintjob

"All I wish to hear from your imperfect world is the silence of its dead."

SanguinaryGuardsman

SanguinaryGuardsman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,192 posts

See what you can do there is just thin down a black (like really, really thin - 5 parts thinner to 1 part paint, something like that) and airbrush that as a filter/glaze over the armour to tone down the highlights down and make the end result more subtle. Unifies & ties together the paintjob

I did that with an oil wash... worked out ok.  They are the "Dark Blue with Hints of Purples Legion"

battle captain corpus

battle captain corpus

++ CENTURIO COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,112 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights

So...this is my method. Firstly I'll quantify though...I now really just paint to get minis on the table. So its quick, dirty and done but I like it!

- Prime black.

- Drybrush whole mini a midtone grey (something like Eshin or Dawnstone)

- Block in rest of your colours. Gold trim, silvers, reds etc.

- Wash the entire mini head to toe with Sepia wash.

- Base and done.

6E13E5BB 0924 4805 BB39 EF68A55A09A1

BCC

• Prot, Marshal Loss, Indefragable and 1 other like this

Capture2.JPG

Ezekyle_Abaddon

Ezekyle_Abaddon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 28 posts
  • Pronouns:they/them
  • Faction: Black Legion

For my black legion I use the paint method described in the How to Paint: Abaddon the Despoiler by Warhammer TV, switching dark reaper for stegadon scale green

I find that this is a better version of the standard scheme.

Edited by Ezekyle_Abaddon, 04 February 2021 - 02:32 PM.

• Prot likes this

Shovellovin

Shovellovin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 618 posts

I have been using this method. It's really easy and gives a really gritty look to your veterans of the long war.

(I would have embedded the video but can't figure out how to do so.)

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 1,324 posts

https://secretsofthe...egion-tutorial/

• Jorgend Lupus, Wayniac and Shovellovin like this
https://twitter.com/...318432949927938

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

"Agents of stealth and misrule they may be, but when the Alpha Legion unleash their martial might, worlds shake at their tread."

Shovellovin

Shovellovin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 618 posts

KIller Black Legion! I especially like the orange glow.

techsoldaten

techsoldaten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,027 posts

This video demonstrates the technique I use.

Airbrush black, then add gradients taking the armor up to white. I use Sotek Green and mix in white progressively.

Glaze using a thick wash medium mixed with black. From there, paint trim and do edge highlights.

GreaterChickenofTzeentch

GreaterChickenofTzeentch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,389 posts

So...this is my method. Firstly I'll quantify though...I now really just paint to get minis on the table. So its quick, dirty and done but I like it!

- Prime black.

- Drybrush whole mini a midtone grey (something like Eshin or Dawnstone)

- Block in rest of your colours. Gold trim, silvers, reds etc.

- Wash the entire mini head to toe with Sepia wash.

- Base and done.

BCC

Mine's close to this one, but I prefer brass for the trim and only wash the metals, leaving lots of little gray marks on the black that look like weathering, in addition to the highlighting that I'm looking for.

• battle captain corpus and Indefragable like this

Plague _Lord

Plague _Lord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 671 posts
  • Faction: CSM
I don't paint black legion but for gold i go balthasar gold with a heavy wash of agrax earthshade or druchii violet depending on the model. It comes out nice and dark.
  • battle captain corpus likes this

Armies:

40k: Deathguard, Steel Legion, Word Bearers, Space wolves, Necrons

WFB: Night goblins, Empire, Dark Elves

Wayniac

Wayniac

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 887 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion (for now...)

Wow I love that.  Might have to experiment with something similar.  I love how it gives that grimdark/Blanchitsu style

Edited by Wayniac, 17 March 2021 - 11:58 AM.

- Wayne aka "Wayniac the Indecisive"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users