Necron Army Idea!?

INKS

This is something that is more on the painting side and lore side of things but I had a dream about it and thought I had to share. 

Have you ever seen those cars or maybe even owned a car where a part on the body gets damaged (the hood, a door, the trunk, etc) and you have to replace it but to do so cheaply means it might come in a different  color. White car, red door for example.

What about necron squads where an armor plate on the leg, the arm, the hand, the face and so on was replaced in the same way. Nothing crazy over the top but I think it might be fun to paint up some necrons with replaced parts from Space Marine armor, or Eldar, or even minerals found on the planet that might make for different color combinations. 

I don't have the latest dex (its on order) but is there anything in the lore that says they don't do this for some reason? Resources might be scares in some places and it wouldn't surprise me if the necrons recycled space marine or eldar parts for example to rebuild their warriors and the like.

It might be difficult to pull off some of this in painting but I think it would be pretty cool to see a blue ultramarines panel used somewhere else on a necron warrior for example. Sort of recycled crons.

Thoughts? Ever seen someone do this with their army?

Unrelated but I really miss the old days of necrons when we had less lore on them. I miss mass warriors but it seems 9th has brought that back and that makes me happy as well.

The only real issue would be that they don't really have alternate panels to weld to the guys, but you can always do what you want either way.

I'm pretty sure the scarabs repair things though, and break down the materials rather than welding panels. The new models do have "damaged" dents and stuff to reflect eons of storage, but I'd also like the option for a perfect new model, since they are constantly being repaired, not just patched up.

Of course, it's perfectly feasible for an eccentric Lord to have just decided they want all of their minions to have a hodge-podge mix of colours.

I have to say, this seems like a really fascinating idea for an army's image- I'm imagining a force where everybody has one unifying "primary" colour, but each squad has its own unique colour, which is on various different pieces on each guy - so in "red squad" one has a red leg, the next a red arm, etc. It'd add tonnes of variety to the army, whilst still maintaining a certain level of uniformity.

Edited by Anticontrarian

Exactly what I was thinking when I came up with this.

Of course, it's perfectly feasible for an eccentric Lord to have just decided they want all of their minions to have a hodge-podge mix of colours.

I have to say, this seems like a really fascinating idea for an army's image- I'm imagining a force where everybody has one unifying "primary" colour, but each squad has its own unique colour, which is on various different pieces on each guy - so in "red squad" one has a red leg, the next a red arm, etc. It'd add tonnes of variety to the army, whilst still maintaining a certain level of uniformity.

Or just a color blind lord. 

My idea of necrons is the complete opposite: the living metal isn't painted, it's electrochromic. It repels dust and should thus never look dirty or rusted. That's why I'm having so much trouble with the look of the new warriors; they shouldn't look this beat down IMO.

But that's just me, and I like your idea. I would absolutely weather the heck out of junkyard necrons, and rust could be the color that ties the multicolor hues together! You could even adapt your fluff to explain that they were corrupted in their sleep and now identify as orks :D

Edited by Miek

There was a blurb in the 7th or 8th ed codex about a dynasty on the eastern fringe (Charnkov something like that) who awakened as their tomb world was being over run by Nids. Basically the Nids tore their warriors to pieces beyond the ability of living metal to fix and stripped the planet bare. Afterwards the overlord sent out Ghost Arks to vacuum up all the warrior bits and the reassembled them fairly haphazardly because they were in such a rush (think warriors rebuilt from whatever parts they found lying around). So that one blurb gives you precedent for hobo space skeletons. I would say for a theme the warriors and Canoptek units would look the most mismatched, then as you ascend the ranks your Immortals, Lychguard, and Royal Court would all look progressively more coherent because they would merit the extra effort. Your HQ units might be the only example of a fully 'correct' color scheme in the whole tomb world

Charnovokh is in 9th edition also, they lost their core worlds and clinge to fringes of their territory, no real mention of patchwork, just that they are "at any means" type fighters that don't worry about Codes of Engagement.

Anrakyr the Traveler is also another roving guy that appropriates whatever resources he needs for his forces.

Any of them, or a custom of course, would fit a patchwork style.

As a type of oddity, I was thinking of a Necron force who thought they were still gathering all the Necrontyr for conversion, and somehow forgot what the Necrontyr looked like so they gathered any necroid being they found: humans, orks, eldar, didn't matter, and have them converted in to new Warriors.  It could even use that to color the metal they ended up as.

Then of course there is the flesh that Flayed Ones use should be painted according to the armies in the local group, too.