Competitive Ultramarines Units for 9th Edition

Meletiah

Hi fellow brother,

I just want to start a discussion about the option and unit for a competitive play with Ultramarine in 9th edition.

So we have for Special / Relic:

• Oath of Seal

For the unit:

• Eradicator
  • Inceptor (Plasma)
  • Intercessor
  • Devastator (Grav Cannon)
  • Vitrix Guard

Did I miss anything?

Yeah, you missed loads!

Vanguard Veterans, Terminator squads (all types), Attack Bikes, Dreadnoughts (Contemptors, Ironclads and Redemptors in particular), Tactical Marines and Chapter Champions.

Sure, some of these are melee based units but they're strong units that give us advantages in 9th edition when attacking the enemy or scoring Secondaries etc. Particularly because our other units are free most of the game whilst attacking elements take the focus.

In that way, I rate Tactical Marines since they benefit from the Tactical Doctrine like most Ultramarines but also love heavy weapons. Rhino borne squads can take objectives, especially if pushed off the objective by our bully squads and firepower.

Honestly I don't think Eradicators are that good for Ultramarines. I mean, they're good and very effective, but they take up crucial Heavy Slots that could be used for other choices.

Our melta should come from Attack Bikes, especially as they get twin bolters that benefit from being in the Tactical Doctrine.

Attack Bikes also act as target saturation for Inceptors, if that's what you're running.

Here’s my advice -

1) Start with a solid core, two HQ and three troops. You want a tanky captain that can dish out some pain in melee and the upgrade to Chapter Master is worth for building a shooty army. I always take Tigurius because the psychic is a big deal - some armies have no access to psykers and can only at best deny which usually involves spending CP. The warlord trait to farm CPs is my go to... you can never have enough CPs. For troops I go MSU -> two Intercessor squads with stalker bolters and thunderhammers... they are rock solid and can win games. I also take a bare bone squad of Infiltrators... the 12” push back is pure gold.

If you want to invest in a third HQ I really like the the Indomnitus Lieutenant with Seal of Oath... he is quite tanky as well and can hold an objective late game.

2) Heavy support that is core is always a good thing so you can really take as advantage of with rerolls and currently the quasi meta seems slanted towards elite armies.

3) Finally you need some speed and mobility. This again is very important to hold objectives and secondaries like Engage on All Fronts.

Edited by Black Blow Fly

Contemptor Dreadnoughts with MM and Redemptors with either weapon are fantastic options for us.  They can park in melee range and fight through most units in a turn to two, or they can pop in and out of combat as needed.  The damage reduction from Duty Eternal is a huge boon with the multitude of D2 and D3 weapons in the game.

The math on a Gravis Captain with a Heavy Bolt Rifle and MC Power Sword is very favorable for a cheap HQ.