Imperial Fists Seekers

Indefragable

Sanity check on some rules interactions:

Seekers: BS5 and Preferred Enemy (re-roll 1's To Hit and To Wound). 

Imperial Fists: +1BS to bolt type weapons.

Ergo...

A.

Imperial Fists Seekers are effective BS6*, thus they hit on 2's and 1's, needing a 6 To Hit on the re-roll...except when targeting the unit they have Marked for Death in which case they get Preferred Enemy, thus getting effective BS10, hitting on 2's, re-rolling 1's To Hit, and needing 2+ on the re-roll To Hit. 

B.

Imperial Fists' Disciplined FIre rule gives them +1BS "when firing the bolter component of a combs-weapon..." ...which counts for Special Issue Ammunition, correct?

Correct? 

The BRB* states that "a special rule that already gives it a re-roll To Hit (such as Master-crafted) takes precedence, so the bold above is how I interpret it. 

*p52 on the digital version of the Horus Heresy: Age of Darkness red book. 

Edited by Indefragable

Yes to both.

This makes Scorpius Shell firing Imperial Fists Seekers targetting their marked targets pretty sweet when trying to keep the cost low and making them less of a priority target themselves than if you would have given them Combi-Plasma.

So they are good for us.

I was suspecting the +1bs would be wasted, since a 1 is always a miss.

Yea my concern was whether Seekers would be "wasted" in a VII Legion, but the rules stack rather nicely without being over-the-top. They are just as good as anyone else's at plasma-nating their marked target...but then have an edge when holing up and launching S5 AP2 rounds at other targets. 

This also makes them very deadly at Overwatch in ZM if you succeed on that initiative test to fire at full BS.

....Also Tempest Shells, despite S3 and negligible AP, can cause a surprising amount of damage to the unprepared. Being able to place a 3" blast marker pretty much wherever you need it to be x10 (or x20 if in Rapid Fire) especially when they gain shred in ZM.

Another thing to remember is that they have Precision shots so you can pretty reliably assassinate a squads Apothecary before unloading the rest of your damage into the squad to negate any pesky FNP rolls.

Also, Scorpius Shells are Heavy 1 so the moment you have to move, youre basically out of luck with using them. Whereas Combi-Plas are at least Rapid Fire so you can move and shoot or even double-tap.

Imho, ever since their rework and points drop, I feel like people have been sleeping on the punch Seekers can deliver especially since, if you were so inclined, theyre one of the only ways to get Land Raiders in Fast Attack slots.

Six Seekers with combiplas in a Dreadclaw/ Termite pump out almost certainly 10-12 Wounds on everything with toughness 5 or less you marked for death. That's how you get the most bang out of your buck if you ask me.

Did it countless times and it always worked.

Great unit even before the point drop.

If you can't give them infiltrate I wouldn't bother to field them as slugging infantry out of ZM, though,  especialy if they don't have combiweapons.

Yep, scouting LR Proteus in a fast attack slot is definitely where the appeal is outside of Zone Mortalis.

I tend to run six Seekers (Combi-Plas), an attached Apothecary (Volkite Charger), plus Autilon Skorr in a Proteus. 

Target removal. Scoring unit. Doesn't force me in a single direction in terms of LA: Alpha Legion special rules. Plus can get even niftier with Skorr's abilities.

Never disappoints.

And yes, Seekers do benefit a great deal from the LA: Imp Fists special rules, even without upgrading them further. 

I'd definitely recommend them for Zone Mortalis.

But then, I also tend to recommend five-man Heavy Bolter HS Squads ... non-scoring though, sadly.

Kinda glad I relatively quickly grasped the potential of Seekers, even in "unusual" Legions like the IX.

Kinda glad others are validating my thoughts on how good they can be.

Kind mad that others are catching on/already knew about it. 

Be still, mine inner hipster. 

Like everything in 30k/40k, I think YMMV with them depending on the objective you set for them. My intended purpose (outside of small funsies games) has been delete the Marked Target then hole up in cover and take Scorpius pop shots of opportunity. 

Apologies as this is spinning off into it's own tactics thread of sorts, but what are the best ways to counter Seekers? 

On their own, they die like any other MEQ

But when they come down in a pod (or popping out of a Proteus) gunnin' for your centerpiece unit...best ways to counter them?

Apologies as this is spinning off into it's own tactics thread of sorts, but what are the best ways to counter Seekers? 

On their own, they die like any other MEQ

But when they come down in a pod (or popping out of a Proteus) gunnin' for your centerpiece unit...best ways to counter them?

Anything with Interceptor is good against pods. Against the Proteus you have more control: you can try to hide the centerpiece from it, disable the tank, etc... One must remember that combi-weapon seekers are very expensive, and that the other player incurrs a huge risk should they fail to kill their target.