Laser Measurements

Dark_Master

Regardless of whether they're precise enough, I don't see such a device being particularly easy to measure for movement and stuff; especially if there are obstacles in your way.

There'd be ways of getting around it, but way more hastle then a normal tape measure. I don't see what you'd be gaining when compared to a tape measure + laser pointer

30$ seems a bit steep for a tape measure for a game to me - then again, are there any specific use-cases your son is thinking of it for?

LOS from vehicles maybe? It seems a bit much to use for normal mvt though. What's wrong with just a normal tape measure from the hardware store ? 

A laser measure only gives you the distance to the first object that blocks the beam, no? So anything like cover or intervening units will give you inaccurate distances anyway, and you couldn't use it to just show you where you can get to with a 12" move (for example). Seems like it would come with mostly downsides with almost no upsides, to be honest.

A standalone laser pointer or line laser for checking LoS though can be quite handy. 

Come on guys, don’t you remember what it’s like being young?! If he’s anything like me he’ll just see it as cool, more advanced tech so therefore must be better than the usual method and what’s more, it’s so obvious it must be better that anyone telling him otherwise must be wrong

OP, I’d just let him buy any cheaper one and wait for him to realise that it’s not actually that practical for the kind of measuring we do in 40k. He’ll quietly figure it out then it can sit on the shelf, then you can acquire it for DIY stuff where it might actually be useful :smile.:

That's the way I see it as well, probably at that age where sticking lasers on anything makes it cool and to be fair I'm probably the same even now. :D

I believe so RK I haven't used it much since I first downloaded it but it's something along those lines

I have seen it been used on a couple of streams

Hopefully it's less clunky than initial release does have a lot of potential

A laser pointer (for checking line of sight without getting your eye gouged out by a bit of terrain/spikey bit) on the other hand ... :smile.:

Thats all part of the fun!!! You younguns these days with your health and safety regulations, shiny lasers and digital books. Back in my day if someone came into the local GW wearing an eyepatch you knew he has seen some crap, not all of it though otherwise he wouldnt be needing the eyepatch. :lol: