500 points of Blood Angels with questions

dirk36

While this is not the first list I have posted here to this forum this will be the first list I will hopefully will bring to the table top. Since my first attempt at a combat patrol I have been ensnared by the fury of the blood angels. My plan is to get used to playing a 500 point list to gain experience in the hobby, then increase my armies size. I'm hoping to get some mileage out of the models I currently have from the dark imperium box, but I understand that I will have to spend some money to create a list. However I still have a few questions, so criticism is welcome. 

Blood angels combat patrol

HQ- Primaris Chaplain on Bike(Warlord)-115 points

- Absolver bolt pistol, Crozius arcanum, frag and krak grenades, Twin bolt rifle, warlord trait: ?, relic: icon of the angel, litanies: litany of hate, canticle of hate

So here are the questions I have about the loadout of this model. 1.Which warlord trait would make the most sense for this chaplain? So far I'm leaning towards rites of war since I'll be using him to be up front supporting my hard charging units. 2. Are any of the special issue war gear options worth taking? I think quake bolts could be useful to help pin a unit to be charged. I really like how this model looks and the tactical options it gives me. That's why I'm willing to wait for it to come back in stock rather than replace it with something else like a chaplain with a jump pack. 

Troops- Intercessor squad(4 intercessors, 1 intercessor sergeant)-100 points

- bolt rifles, frag and krak grenades 

Elites- Sanguinary guard( 5 sang guard)- 150 points 

- angelus boltgun, encarmine sword 

What do you guys think of this loadout? I'm not sure I need to take an power fists on this unit as most 500 point games will not feature to many high toughness multi-wound models. I also plan to take some more high firepower units or maybe some death company or assault terminators toting thunder hammers. 

Fast attack- Inceptors( 2 inceptors, 1 inceptor sergeant)-135 points 

- assault bolters 

This unit I'm not tied to. Its 135 points that could be replaced with something else. The firepower on plasma inceptors in more enticing anyway. If you were playing this list what would you include? I could include another troop choice or an elite choice for this points cost that would fit better in the blood angels wheelhouse. Looking forward to your opinions.

• 2 weeks later...

So after some research into other peoples lists I decided to bump the points value up to 1000 to have a little more lee way in adding units. So here is the new list.

Blood Angels combat patrol-992 points

HQ:

Chaplain with jump pack, warlord and master of sanctity (130points)- crozius arcanum, frag and krak grenades, warlord trait: wise orator, relic: icon of the angel, litanies: litany of hate, recitation of focus, canticle of hate

Sanguinary priest with jump pack (120points)- astartes chainsword, bolt pistol, frag and krak grenades

Troops:

Incursor squad (105points)- bolt pistol, oculus bolt carbine, paired combat blades, frag and krak grenades

Intercessor squad (100points)- bolt pistol, bolt rifle, frag and krak grenades 

Elites:

Death company marines (280points)- 3x power fist, 7x bolt pistol and astartes chainsword, jump packs x10

Vanguard veteran squad (147points)- Relic blade on the sergeant, 4x lightning claw, 5x storm shield, frag and krak grenades, 5x jump packs

Fast attack:

Attack bike squad (110points)- bolt pistol, twin bolt gun, frag and krak grenades, multi melta

I decided to go with a chaplain with a jump pack after all since the model costs less points and that makes it easier to upgrade. He'll be tagging along with the van vets and death company to make their charges more reliable. The Sanguinary priest is included in the list to put units in assault doctrine in the first two turns. The van vets are built to be a durable melee unit. Death company is included for the high mobility that forlorn fury gives them. They're basically a gamble at getting a first turn charge into an opponents unit while still maintaining their ability to do damage even if I go second. Incursors are there to grab an early objective or set up another early charge. Intercessors to secure back objectives. The attack bikes are to be mobile firepower and soften targets up prior to the charge. So what thoughts do you guys have on the new list? Should I take more power weapons on the van vets and less on the death company since the van vets with storm shields are more durable and can take those weapons at a lower cost? I feel like the sang priest is a good include but I guess not necessary since most of my units have invulnerable saves or feel no pain type saves baked in. Would it be better to spend the points on a different unit? Thanks in advance for your input. 

So here are the questions I have about the loadout of this model. 1.Which warlord trait would make the most sense for this chaplain? So far I'm leaning towards rites of war since I'll be using him to be up front supporting my hard charging units. 2. Are any of the special issue war gear options worth taking? I think quake bolts could be useful to help pin a unit to be charged. I really like how this model looks and the tactical options it gives me. That's why I'm willing to wait for it to come back in stock rather than replace it with something else like a chaplain with a jump pack.

Rites of War is good if you are planning to have him leading non-Troop units to take Objectives. If that is your plan, the Relic Deathmask is worth looking at. It removes Objective Secured from nearby enemy units meaning the Chaplain can steal Objectives, even from big units of enemy Troops. The Deathmask also means enemies attacking the Chaplain are -1 to-Hit which is a handy bit of Protection.

Another solid trait is Gift of Foresight. Rerolling 1 to-hit, 1 to-wound and one save every turn will help keep your Chaplain effective, even if your dice go cold.