Biker Serge, combi weapon or cc weapon?

Xenith

As per title, bikers seem a great choice now, and the sergeant can still take a weapon option, what do you prefer, a combi weapon to add a third special weapon, or a melee weapon to add flexibility to then unit?

I have a few more bikers to make, and Im thinking 3 models, 2x plasma, 1x combi plasma. 14 bolt shots at 24" and 6 plasma at 12" for under 100pts.

Imo always the combi. One of the biggest weakness of Bike units is their restrictions on moving through cover. This can mean it can be a challenge to effectively leverage them in CC. That being said your chapter tactic obviously factors into the usage. 

Yea, wishing I had the option to for both on the serge at least, however another combi plasma and use the squad as harassment is probably better than having a power sword, say, and losing 6 plasma shots + 12-14 bolter shots by being in combat. 

If its just a single unit of three, i don't know that I'd put anything that costs points on the Sgt. think of it like the Sgt in a Dev or Eliminator squad, its there for ablative wounds to protect the actual valuable models.

If it was a larger unit, one that could be combat squaded, I'd say a thunder hammer is best. split into one shooty unit and one fighty unit.

If its just a single unit of three, i don't know that I'd put anything that costs points on the Sgt. think of it like the Sgt in a Dev or Eliminator squad, its there for ablative wounds to protect the actual valuable models.

If it was a larger unit, one that could be combat squaded, I'd say a thunder hammer is best. split into one shooty unit and one fighty unit.

With that logic, I could put a combi on the serge and not take one marine with a special and be 1A up on the unit :wink: Good thought on the thammer, though I'd probably take 2 small units for double the specials over the larger.