Hey y'all.  Just finished painting 3 marines. Looking for feedback as to which to go with for a whole chapter (Purely for the color scheme not the model/bits).  Thanks!

A.) Black Templar. An age old favorite. Darker armor make the marines look more serious/ less kiddy.  Black gives a little less control in painting, but not as little as metallics.

Templar Prototype 1

Templar Prototype 2

B.) Knights of Truth. I love the colors in themselves, but blue often makes the marines look less serious more like a toy/kiddy.  Sometimes seems to clash with the grimdark stuff more than a Templar color scheme.  Matches colors of my Guardsmen army.

Feudal Prototype 2

Feudal Prototype 3

C.) Silver Hands.   Somewhat inspired by Warcraft knights.  Only thing with them is I don't like the lack of control of painting true metal metallic. Matches colors of my Guardsmen army.

Lordaeron Prototype 1

Lordaeron Prototype 2

Edited by DranuTemplar

A and B are pretty much the same man, on a technical + painting level they are all fine, but for a DIY perspective your silver hands would be more of a stand out, with A + B look far too close to BT. The colour pallet you like isn't really "unique" so to speak for a DIY in all honesty. Bone helm, arms + shoulders, non gold metallics would look way better on B for a DIY chapter. Stay away from red with black as well for cloth to stand out further also from BT. Use A or B if doing BT, either would work. 

Beautiful work on the models. The lion headed pauldrons look cool, but considering the Dark Angels Primarch's name, I'm surprised a Black Templar is wearing one. Did the Templar seize the right pauldron as a prize, from a Dark Angel he defeated in an honor duel? Or did Lord Regent Guilliman award the pauldrons to honor these three Marines for battlefield valor?

I've just read your post on these on FB.

I like C. It's very similar to the alternative scheme I have for my own developing home brew chapter, but that's not the main reason I like it. It's a very tonal and warm gold and is nicely contrasted by the blue shoulders and knees. Personally I'd do the weapon casings another colour as, in my own opinion, the blue acts best as a compliment highlight colour and I feel that also having the weapons in that colour takes away from that.

Another suggestion would be to change the colour of the soft armour and other metals to perhaps one of the darker metals from the same Vallejo range that the Duraluminium came from. At least looking at the photos these appear to be very similar to the gold.

Final comment - for the gold marine you say that you don't like the lack of control for painting TMM. However you also say that these schemes are for an whole chapter, and based on your method for painting gold from your FB post, it gives a very effective gold result for not too much effort - something to bear in mind if you are indeed planning on painting a whole chapter.

***On a purely selfish note, you said in your FB post that the gold was a mix of a dark metal and dark gold. Would you be willing to clarify which metal and gold you actually use? ***

***On a purely selfish note, you said in your FB post that the gold was a mix of a dark metal and dark gold. Would you be willing to clarify which metal and gold you actually use? ***

Thanks.  Ya what I meant by that is the shadows are scale 75 black gold mixed with scale 75 black metal.  Its then hgihlighted with duralumenum.  The gold is actualually green stuff world gold pigments mixed with vallejo airbrush thinner and gloss varnish.  The 'right side' of the gold highlights is shaded with a contrast green, and the 'left side' is with agrax earthshade.  Its then highlighted with the gold pigment mixed with scale 75 alchemy white.

Thanks.  Ya what I meant by that is the shadows are scale 75 black gold mixed with scale 75 black metal.  Its then hgihlighted with duralumenum.  The gold is actualually green stuff world gold pigments mixed with vallejo airbrush thinner and gloss varnish.  The 'right side' of the gold highlights is shaded with a contrast green, and the 'left side' is with agrax earthshade.  Its then highlighted with the gold pigment mixed with scale 75 alchemy white.

Interesting combination - thanks for explaining.

I won't derail your thread any longer, but thanks for the info on those GSW pigments. Nothing I've seen before and I've just ordered some along with the Master Medium.

EDIT - found their promotional video which answered my question.

Edited by Brother Desultor

I won't derail your thread any longer, but thanks for the info on those GSW pigments. Nothing I've seen before and I've just ordered some along with the Master Medium.

EDIT - found their promotional video which answered my question.

Ya thats what they recommend.  Its probably very similar to vallejo airbrush thinner.  I recommend adding a bit of gloss varinsh too, but the medium alone is probably good enough.