A Question of Scale

Verbal Underbelly

I've recently bought a trio of the "new" plague marines and they quite big, in line with many of Citadel's recent sculpts. 

When they're stood next to rhino the difference is scale is a bit daft, even my land raider looks too small really. There's no way 10 plague marines would "fit" inside.

I was just wondering about the Land Raider Proteus from Forge World to stand in as a normal land raider... is it physically bigger does any one know? I've tried looking for comparisons on image search but I still can't really tell. 

Yeah I'm aware of that, but the disparity in scale was less incongruous.

I have a Death Guard force made up of older sculpts (I've played since 4th edition) but now that Death Guard are a stand alone faction I'm updating my army. I just wanted to know if there any transport models that fit their larger scale.

Building on my original question, would a non-citadel APC work? For example the Tamiya Gulf War APC. Does anybody here have experience with models like this?

Yeah I'm aware of that, but the disparity in scale was less incongruous.

I have a Death Guard force made up of older sculpts (I've played since 4th edition) but now that Death Guard are a stand alone faction I'm updating my army. I just wanted to know if there any transport models that fit their larger scale.

Building on my original question, would a non-citadel APC work? For example the Tamiya Gulf War APC. Does anybody here have experience with models like this?

I bought an M113 in 1:35 scale awhile back for the purposes of producing something kinda closer to a truescale Rhino. Here's some scale-shots alongside both a current (regular-scale) Rhino, and a Primaris/Mk.X marine

I have to say, it's a lot more 'appropriate' feeling in terms of size - although even then the fighting compartment is going to be quite cramped in terms of length. The height's far better, though. Relatively easy kit to put together as well (although I might have had some issues with the tracks); only thing you'd probably need to 40k-ify it would be pintle-mounted weapons , appropriate army / faction insignia, and some way of mounting side access hatches; perhaps also a larger fire-point roof hatch. Other than that - you're good to go. 

Elsewhere in that log, there's a 1:35 scale Bradley which may also be of some interest. It'd definitely be appropriately sized for a full squad of ten larger-scaled Marines [i truescale all infantry, so I'm probably sliiightly ahead of the scale-creep for death guard .. for now] ; although the turret would mean it'd be of little use to you - unless you were, I suppose, attempting to do one of th really *old school* [well, actually mid-late 90s] Epic 40,000 chaos land raiders with the turrets on top 

Transports as well as vehicle variants that are battle tanks, are and have been criminally undersized in. GW has been shifting everything from 28mm scale to 32mm. Which I prefer. What I didn't necessarily agree with was their BANDAI approach with primaris to creating a huge backstory for essentially true scale/true to lore Space Marines. At least the primaris vehicles mostly are scaled correctly, even if they are designed mechanically hideous...aka atvs and peakaboo storm speeder gunner Edited by Debauchery101

Thanks for the responses, really appreciate that. The M113 in 1:35 scale looks to better a slightly better size and it's about the right shape. I think adding a few 40k Death Guard spare bits and bobs will give it enough context to fit in. Very interested in trying that! The treads on classic military models tend to be more realistic as well.

Once again thanks very much.

Thanks for the responses, really appreciate that. The M113 in 1:35 scale looks to better a slightly better size and it's about the right shape. I think adding a few 40k Death Guard spare bits and bobs will give it enough context to fit in. Very interested in trying that! The treads on classic military models tend to be more realistic as well.

Once again thanks very much.

I seen a sick modular conversion for deathguard. Which I can't find at the moment but will try to find it again.

The guy took 3 plague burst crawlers magnetized the dozer blade, sponsons and mortar. He had an upper hull from something he fit into the back area to make it look like a transport.

He also had magnetized a Sicaran turret and set of sponsons. He flips the dozer to the backside and puts the sicaran stuff on, also facing to the rear. The size profile is just a smidgen shorter in height. it looks as much as a converted sicaran kit as it does a converted crawler. It's also 100% tournament legal