Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Which legion has the best 'Breacher" unit in the game?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

RoadRunna

RoadRunna

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 71 posts

I would argue that the best marines with breacher shields are probably going to be drawn from from either the Iron Hands or Imperial Fists due the Rights of War that can help these units out or their own special abilities (included here [for example] are the Immortals of the IH with Bitter Iron to make them Troops, Hatred and Stubborn in the enemy deployment zone)

For special occasions there are also the Mournival Events only unit - XIIth (World Eaters) Legion Triarii Breachers which come with all the usual gear plus chainaxe, FnP 6+ and Counter-attack

So, which do you prefer?

Kizzdougs

Kizzdougs

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,173 posts
  • Faction: III Legion

Probably the Ultramarines with the Invictarus Suzerain. The Phalanx Warders are also really good with their play-test rules in the FAQ. They're actually cheaper than regular Breachers and their melta-bombs are also cheaper as soon as the squad goes above 10 men. They also get combi-weapons and power axes for a discounted price. 

• Brofist likes this

The Sekhmet plus Emperor's Children and general 30k | Word Bearers plus general 40k | Instagram: @raptorimperialis

ETL_VI_Badge_Artisan_Master.jpg ETL_2014_Badge_V2_11_Honour.jpg ETL_Medal_06.gif Img_CH00_08Awards_03_ETL_2012A.gif Img_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013A.gif gallery_29004_6198_3130.png sml_gallery_29004_10691_4416.png ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gif ETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_04.gif

gallery_11038_675_366.png

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,974 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
Phalanx warders are the best if taken in stone gauntlet. Suzerains are very strong, but are a little too general in what role they want to do; pretty good on the charge, but lose out on having a boarding shield while also not having counter charge.

Medusan immortals are...weird? I always feel like I just don't understand how you use them properly. They're a short ranged shooting unit with either bolters or volkites and can take special weapons (but not plasma), but the seargent can't take a combi weapon. They can swap the guns for melee weapons, but those don't do anything due to the shields, and you have a hard time sweeping, and you have low base attacks. My only thoughts would to be to sling them in a termite and melta stuff and then be a nuisance in the backline, but that's like 260 for the unit without volkite.

RoadRunna

RoadRunna

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 71 posts

Phalanx warders are the best if taken in stone gauntlet. Suzerains are very strong, but are a little too general in what role they want to do; pretty good on the charge, but lose out on having a boarding shield while also not having counter charge.

Medusan immortals are...weird? I always feel like I just don't understand how you use them properly. They're a short ranged shooting unit with either bolters or volkites and can take special weapons (but not plasma), but the seargent can't take a combi weapon. They can swap the guns for melee weapons, but those don't do anything due to the shields, and you have a hard time sweeping, and you have low base attacks. My only thoughts would to be to sling them in a termite and melta stuff and then be a nuisance in the backline, but that's like 260 for the unit without volkite.

I think with Immortals they are really good at ZM in the confined corridors but on a bigger board you need to be more careful with them - good for defending an objective or choke-point with the -1Sth to shooting attacks and the boarding shield denies enemies their charge bonus (take that WorldEaters).  

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,974 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
Very true, but at the same time they don't rally have the tools to grind out a combat in their favour, only to tarpit and lose eventually. In ZM that can be a game changer, but in normal games that's kind of detrimental since that melee unit is now protected from shooting for a few turns.

Its also important to note that world eaters don't lose their rerolls since the shield doesn't cause disordered. Only the rage attacks.

infyrana

infyrana

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,740 posts

I've always wanted to see how DG Breachers would work out with Morturg's Ambush abilities, Rad grenades, scythe on serg and shredding flamers etc.  But it's not in my knowledge to understand the full rules and how it compares to anything else out there.

gallery_51316_15965_6348.pnggallery_51316_15965_21147.png

The Scorpion

The Scorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 211 posts

I think with Immortals they are really good at ZM in the confined corridors but on a bigger board you need to be more careful with them - good for defending an objective or choke-point with the -1Sth to shooting attacks and the boarding shield denies enemies their charge bonus (take that WorldEaters).  

Immortals work indeed best in ZM, especially with the "bitter iron" RoW, which makes them troops and gives them Hatred (traitors).

Edited by The Scorpion, 11 February 2021 - 05:01 PM.

Unknown Legionnaire

Unknown Legionnaire

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 800 posts
  • Faction: XXth Legion & Cult Allies

Yeah, Immortals & Bitter Iron are ace.

Smile like Dynat when you're winning !

Gorgoff

Gorgoff

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,258 posts
  • Faction: IVth Legion
All Breachers work best in ZM, no?
  • Brother Sutek likes this
Bring back Psycho Dad!
gallery_48988_10980_12646.png

Brofist

Brofist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,245 posts
  • Faction: 13th Grand Battalion
Yep, for sure. The ZM RoW is a pretty good one by itself, but the breacher buffs make it real easy for most legions to make an effective (albiet, cookie cutter) ZM list with breachers
sig.jpg

#powerfisted30k, #tacticalstrikeplus
Download Tactical Strike Plus
Check out my Corpse Crow militia and Iron Warriors: Army Thread
My Painting Blog: With Tutorials, WIPs, and Bad Puns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users