Lupercal's Loyalist Legion of Luna Lads

The tribute is such a great miniature.

It's a shame and completely unreasonable that FW doesn't have it in their shop.

Great idea on re-position his head. Looks way more energetic that way.

Makes me think to do it myself.

Such coherency and fantastic work here :)  Do you mind sharing the colours you used for your purples please?

Yeah the Termie Praetor is such a great model, I wish I had picked one up - might have to go looking for one now!

Such coherency and fantastic work here :smile.:  Do you mind sharing the colours you used for your purples please?

Yeah the Termie Praetor is such a great model, I wish I had picked one up - might have to go looking for one now!

Ask and you shall receive:

-"Purple": Xerus purple (GW), then squid pink (Vallejo), spot of white (Vallejo)

And to an earlier person's question:

-White Armor: Leather Brown, bone, and white mixed. All vallejo.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

Thank you kindly!  That's two colours I need to put on my shopping list :)  I definitely want to sneak this colouration onto a model somewhere, but it'll be a far cry from your well practised smooth shading.

I hope they get those Sicaran's back in stock for you soon, this thread deserves that model.

• 1 month later...

Greetings lads! Wanted to come pop in and drop a shot of the first-officially-finshed lad of batch two of the army. Will take nice photobox shots like the earlier posts once army batch two is all done and I can bang them all out in a day. So much goodness in the pipeline to still go.

Cheers lads!

gallery_54361_16988_854976.png

Not much to say except, excellent work! I look forward to seeing the other models you're working on.

Are you using chipping medium for your battle damage or just painting it on with a brush?

Back in the day, I used a purpose-made medium. Chipping stuff for bolt-action tanks and the like, that dried looking like exposed steel.

For years since then I've just been using an exacto knife and drill head to cut gashes/bullet impacts into finished parts, then drybrushing exposed metal-of-choice-analogue in the imperfection area.

This is sponging; brown base, then silver over it. Process desgined by Adam, same mastermind behind the plasma coloring mix, and the mix for the gorgeous white base.

Nice chipping on the Contemptor, I also really like those glowing eyes, they burn with a light that I certainly wouldn't want to see coming towards me.

Dreadnoughts especially, have always needed to be as menacing as possible. They have no expressions, but they do have lenses that could be seen in the dark, hurtling toward you with footfalls like a building was collapsing nearby. Edited by Dark Legionnare

Greetings, all. Wanted to drop by with more informal pics of phase two of the army. Will take nice photobox shots like the earlier posts once army batch two is all done and I can bang them all out in a day. So much goodness in the pipeline to still go.

I hear folks like fire raptors in these here lands:

gallery_54361_16988_80879.jpg

gallery_54361_16988_44.jpg

The army and scheme looks awesome and I can't wait to see a full army shot.

My only critique is that I wouldn't have used purple for normal lights as well as vokite/plasma/power weapon/generic energy effect. Or maybe just have made the osl a lot softer for the lights and have it tint the area instead of just making it purple.

Lovely army!! Makes one yearn for the halcyon days before Erebus' machinations damned it all.

Everyone can always agree. Screw Erebus. ;)

The army and scheme looks awesome and I can't wait to see a full army shot.

My only critique is that I wouldn't have used purple for normal lights as well as vokite/plasma/power weapon/generic energy effect. Or maybe just have made the osl a lot softer for the lights and have it tint the area instead of just making it purple.

Thanks! And I agree, actually. Leaving it for energy effects, reigning it back in on lights and such is definitely the status quo of batch two. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings, all. Wanted to drop by with this week's goodness before disappearing into a night of Sins of a Solar Empire. Will take nice photobox shots like the earlier posts once army batch two is all done and I can bang them all out in a day.

W.I.P of the H-man himself, namesake of this thread.

gallery_54361_16988_6788.png

The tribute is such a great miniature.

It's a shame and completely unreasonable that FW doesn't have it in their shop.

Great idea on re-position his head. Looks way more energetic that way.

Makes me think to do it myself.

Yea, I have to agree.  I think event exclusives should all be timed-exclusives.   Events only for one year, then in the store after that.  This would also reduce re-casts and ridiculous ebay prices, at least over the longer term.

Very nice work on Horus' face and the glow from his suit.

Many thanks!

The h-man has always had that iconic pic of him with the red glow, towering over dead-sanguinius. Having something suitably analogous, but "good", was definitely a necessity of the force to pay homage.

Greetings, all. Wanted to drop by with this week's goodness. Will take nice photobox shots like the earlier posts once army batch two is all done and I can bang them all out in a day.

Batch two is almost done. Just some final flesh work on other characters, decalz, basing finalization, and weathering, then it's all done! Batch three to kick off once the f-in Sicaran is finally back in stock. Been out for 9 months now. Oi-vey.

W.I.P Breachers, 4 of the 10(everyone's favorite infantry, hopefully, they're certainly mine)

gallery_54361_16988_234713.jpg

W.I.P of the 9 outriders. Bolters and plasma magnetized on all of them.

gallery_54361_16988_152493.jpg

Greetings, all. Final check in for a bit on this thread. Next updates will be the photobox shots like the earlier posts now that batch two is done. Have to order a new light-strip for the box, so whenever that arrives, I'll get the pics taken!

Batch three to kick off once the Sicaran is finally back in stock. Plans right now are for that, a Xiphon, and the MK III command squad. Maybe some tartaros termies? Will see, but I want that sweet, sweet free shipping from FW for all at once.

Final W.I.P's of batch two:

-All the final lads of batch two! The banner's a concession for the 40k use of the army. As mentioned above, will get a MKiii command squad and find a legit Luna wolves transfer (or make one) rather than co-opting a black fenrisian one.

gallery_54361_16988_211717.jpg

-Big H and his granite eagle plinth.
gallery_54361_16988_105104.jpg

Next time, photobox goodies in higher-res goodness!

The army looks fantastic so far. The colour choices give them a very unique aesthetic. Horus especially looks outstanding.

Thanks, mang! The stark contrast of black and white alongside each other, with other colors breaking it up as others have mentioned elsewhere, has worked out so well to my own senses, I'm so glad other people love it too!

I'll get much better shots of the H-man up on here in the coming days. For today/tonight though, some speedy hard hitters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Light bar came in today, Amazon was apparently way off with their two week estimated delivery time. So, with that now now re-mounted in the photo box, time for more bouts of being nowhere-near-on-top-of-keeping-up-a-daily-schedule-of-this. Today's category is fast movers who are also hard hitters! This of course means that one of those has to be the legendary astartes gunship.

Fire Raptor Gunship:

• WYSIWYG (Autocannons and Heavy Bolters magnetized for ball turrets)
    • Got the loadout I think looks the best, and performs just fine with it!
      • It's already got so many barrels, the big missile warheads look better than lascannons on the wings, I feel.
    • For when you need primarch-annhilating levels of fire-power in one particular place on a planet, fast!

gallery_54361_16738_364819.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_1861586.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_1578282.jpg

Astartes Outrider Squads:

• What it says on the tin! Rather than take three different group shots of three bikes at a time, went for all 9.
    • Guns magnetized to be either plasma or the bolters on the bike's themselves.

gallery_54361_16738_110635.jpg

So you're lucky you went with the missiles, because the fire raptor can't actually take the lascannons in 30k lol.

I was prepared as such! Been checking everything against 40k and 30k as it gets picked for the army; had originally figured "Well, the hellstrike are AT weapons, nobody would mind Lascannon proxy in 30k" but then decided big missile warheads look best. ;)

Man, nice work on those outriders!

I love them too! The only "look like they could actually work and not bottom out on a poptart" Astartes bike in the history of the game.

Also, that they come with both the bolter mounts (with plate) and plasma mount (with plate) was such a pleasant surprise. Magnetizing made infinitely easier by that than having to do it on the little bolt/plasma guns themselves.

I was wondering how to organize each further batch of time put into cropping, uploading, and grabbing the share codes for all the other stuff. Finally decided that since I have almost exactly the same number of vehicles remaining as I do characters, I'll pair a vehicle and character per posting. Keep things tidy, and not keep me at the computer too long each time. As a side note, got the covid vaccine, and it's whooping my arse, so I'm right back to bed after this. Cheers, lads!

Land Raider Proteus:

• WYSIWYG
    • No pintle-mount because I have a deep-seated hatred of them breaking all the time and leaving the exposed marine/cupola area looking ruined.
    • One of my favorite FW 30k kits, by far. I love the perfect blend of homage to the old 2nd edition Land Raider while still not looking dopey-as-heck like said kit does. Perfect case of modernizing a classic

gallery_54361_16738_219572.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_598918.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_78213.jpg

Techmarine/Master of the Forge:

• What it says on the tin. Was sorely tempted to get the MKIV one, but damn... I love the segmented-looking armor on the MKIII. Probably end up getting the MKIV down the road too, but for now, just this lad!

gallery_54361_16738_6341.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_75682.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_128343.jpg