Lupercal's Loyalist Legion of Luna Lads

As absent-minded as always, I'm back with some more many days later. For the next pairing, it made the most logical sense to me to pair the two kings of antennae/uplinks.

Damocles Command Rhino:

• One of my other favorite FW 30k kits. Not sure I have/need a reason why, it's just so perfectly "warhammer." Also, getting reserves on a 2+, re-rolling 1's, as the spear-tip of the Imperium is good stuff~

gallery_54361_16738_221632.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_118276.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_117881.jpg

Master of Signals:

• 30k, speaks for himself.
  • Doesn't have the best 40k analogue, but I suppose he could make for a good LT in most cases!

gallery_54361_16738_76079.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_54474.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_84930.jpg

I'm back with some more many days later, yet again. For the next pairing, it's become a triple grouping because I can't count. One extra vehicle to character ratio.

Legion Dreadclaw Droppod:

• The infamous biggest P.I.T.A kit in the history of Warhammer (short of to-scale titans or the all-metal Thunderhawk)

gallery_54361_16738_185352.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_84079.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_101755.jpg

Legion Champion:

• Speaks for himself.
  • The other pair of the character-duo pack! (Had a good showing in a 40k game last weekend, solo'd a pair of Archons like a boss)

gallery_54361_16738_35869.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_70774.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_80204.jpg

Vindicator Laser Destroyer:

• I said there might be one, and there is! Love the look of the 30k vindicator hulls too much to not get one. (especially the remote storm bolter)
  • Mobile tank-killer also makes sense for Luna Wolves doctrine. Who needs emplacements when you can slag your enemies with one of the most powerful non-titanic-mounted anti-tank weapons in the Astartes arsenal.

gallery_54361_16738_35619.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_648445.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_323328.jpg

Cheers, lads! Have a great weekend!

Got another relatively-free day to put in the time to get more stuff cropped and up here. For the next pairing, we'll be getting to everyone's favorite part of 30k, walkers! And of course, a paired character in the Company Standard bearer. :smile.:

Legion Contemptor Dreadnought:

• One of a pair. Got magnetized autocannons, chainfist, lascannons, and dread fist. All the other weapons were sold out, so someday I'll get him and his brother a couple Kheres, volkite, etc, etc... :smile.:

gallery_54361_16738_45202.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_121133.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_36300.jpg

Legion Standard Bearer:

• Speaks for himself!
  • I tried making official Luna-wolves banners and decals, but they all turned out pretty atrocious. Down the road, I'll aim to get the MKiii command set, and shell out the dosh to get proper transfers made so I can have a fully luna-wolves banner on display for the force, rather than a nice-stand-in by proxy with a black wolf, courtesy of the space wolves transfer sheet. (Which has been made of liberal use already for the wolf heads on shoulders and such)

gallery_54361_16738_102594.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_101842.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_130640.jpg

Next time I'll be back with contemptor two and Tarik! Or at least the model I think absolutely smacks of being Tarik.

Cheers, lads! Have a great weekend!

Got a couple free days to put in the time to get more stuff cropped and up here. For the next pairing, more walker-goodness and another named character.

Legion Contemptor Dreadnought #2:

• Second of a pair. Got magnetized autocannons, chainfist, lascannons, and dread fist. All the other weapons were sold out, so someday I'll get him and his brother a couple Kheres, volkite, etc, etc... :smile.:

gallery_54361_16738_250947.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_158437.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_132994.jpg

Tarik Torgaddon (Or Consul in a pinch):

• Speaks for himself!
    • I've always thought of this model as Tarik once I saw this picture for the first time year(s) back: Tarik-Torgaddon-1068x1335.jpg
  • Obviously, just the second pair of the MKIV command squad, but he'll stand right alongside Garviel's proxy model in the Luna Wolves finery as "Tarik" for me.

gallery_54361_16738_148250.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_4231.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_186121.jpg

Hopefully remember to be back tomorrow with the Breachers and leviathan!

Edited by Dark Legionnare

Happy weekend, lads! More time to get more stuff cropped and uploaded. For the next pairing, everyone's favorite dread, the Leviathan, and everyone's (My second for sure, barely losing out to Tyrant Siege termis) favorite 30k infantry squad, breachers!

Legion Leviathan Dreadnought:

• Magnetized stormcannon, cyclonic, claw, drill, nipple-volkite & nipple-flamers.
    • FW was sold out of the grav flux at purchase time, but do intend to get it eventually.

gallery_54361_16738_45920.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_749427.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_1110119.jpg

Legion Breacher Squad):

• Magnetized for two special weapons (Grav, melta, las-cutter) per 5, as is the standard goodness.
  • I remember in a book somewhere, Horus loving the idea of breachers, so I toyed with the idea of doing more than one squad, but ultimately held off due to 40k interoperability goal of army. Hard enough to fit 10 Company vets with SS/gun in a list as it is!
  • Have I mentioned how these kits are some of the best 30k has to offer, in terms of "Feels like 30k"? So sweet.

gallery_54361_16738_2125.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_1048067.jpg

Hopefully I'll remember to get all of big H's shots cropped and up here tomorrow. That'll be the final update for quite some time, as then all of wave 2 will be in the thread. Cheers lads!

Greetings all! Sorry to darken your doors a final time later than expected. Here's the final update for quite some time, unless maybe I decide to put some in-battle shots in here perhaps? Until the great FW restockening occurs, phase 3 of the Luna Wolves will be on hold, still chomping at the bit for that damn Sicaran tank, haha! So, until then, this'll be the last update here probably, for a good while.

That said, what better way to end phase two than with a bang. The man, the myth, the legend: Horus himself.

Primarch of the XVI Legion - Luna Wolves, Horus Lupercal:

• I'll shut up, he speaks for himself. For the Emperor and the Imperium!

gallery_54361_16738_708473.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_215140.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_39324.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_116936.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_132967.jpg

Cheers, lads; and thanks for coming along for the ride so far. Hopefully somebody somewhere can be inspired or driven by all this, like the books did for me so many years ago. :)

Just consistently cranking out the good stuff over here! Big fan of the black helmets for the breachers, really makes you notice them, without using some screaming contrast. Likewise, the green of the power pack on the Leviathan's melta weapon is a nice way to get a new colour in for some extra interest, whilst keeping things toned down and 'real' looking. Of course, you've done an excllent job on Horus, always love to see the face lit from the glow of the armour, just like that classic art.

• 2 weeks later...

Just consistently cranking out the good stuff over here! Big fan of the black helmets for the breachers, really makes you notice them, without using some screaming contrast. Likewise, the green of the power pack on the Leviathan's melta weapon is a nice way to get a new colour in for some extra interest, whilst keeping things toned down and 'real' looking. Of course, you've done an excllent job on Horus, always love to see the face lit from the glow of the armour, just like that classic art.

Thanks a million, mate.

The blacks as hard 180-flips to really "pop" features has worked really well the army-wide, and has pleased me stupidly with the results. I'm glad it does the same for someone else too; especially on the breachers since it's just a huge layer of ceramite bolted onto a standard helmet. I have an addiction for any applique armor like that, different than the main body attached to anything, to be a hard contrast. Warhammer or otherwise. :)

Also, absolutely. It wouldn't be big H without a glow from that one of a kind armor of his. Especially as an homage to what is I would say, the single most influential piece of 40k art that has gotten a collosally larger majority of players into the hobby than any other.

Thanks again for the very kind words. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Welp, FW had a big 'ol restock this week, and I made out like a bandit with all outstanding immediate wants to get the Luna Wolves up to capacity while fitting thematic and army rules.

-Sicaran (Sweet lord, I can't believe it. After a whole damn year out of stock, it's back. I was getting close to printing it due to frustration)

-Plasma deimos predator

-Scorpius for mobile arty support

-Xiphon (mostly because it's gorgeous)

-deredeo w/lascannon. More mobile, versatile, agile(ish)heavy firepower in lieu of heavy weapon squads.

-2x castellax for cool/fun factor and to give the MoS model double duty as a praevian

-more dread weapons, and the autocannon + hammers for cataphractii

-2x praetor set to get me over the free shipping hump and only spend $10 more than I would without the free shipping.

Final calth box from my big four-box-purchase years back (The end of an era. They're finally all assembled or bits-farmed out. R.I.P. arguably the greatest boxset GW has ever made)

-30 more marine lads from there

-5 more termies

-the two characters

-no dread, gave it away due to the pretty lame, static pose.

See you all on the other side of batch three lads.

• 6 months later...

Greetings all! I'm back from the resin caves with batch three all complete. I'll be photo-boxing everything up and getting it added to the thread as promised in the past! No plans for a phase 4 at this time (what with price insanity, and potential rules changes in the wind), but's that okay because there's already SO MUCH of the lads!

That said, what better way to start phase three than with the prettiest aircraft model of 30k! As dense as a brick of lead, and yet so sleek looking.

Legion Xiphon Interceptor:

• This is absolutely taking the cake as tied for favorite Warhammer aircraft alongside the thunderhawk. No contest.
    • Believable aerodynamics, in my warhammer?!?! I'LL HAVE NONE OF THAT.

gallery_54361_16738_201069.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_318040.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_252125.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_495205.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_715589.jpg

I'll be cropping and uploading all of batch three mentioned two posts above this one in the coming days! (Or "weeks" knowing my ability to keep to schedule...)

Greetings all. Back with more.

Coming at you with some more "stompy" lads.

Legion Deredeo Dreadnought:

• Following the army rule of having mobile AT be the priority, none of that static gunline IVth legion hullabaloo, we have "SPG, the dreadnought."
    • As ludicrous as it is, the carapace launcher looks "so right"

gallery_54361_16738_385204.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_17231.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_412331.jpg

Castellax Battle-automata:

• Still following the army rule of having mobile AT be the priority, none of that static gunline IVth legion hullabaloo, we have "SPG, the robots"
    • Tagging along with a Praevian for all the fluffy inductee goodness (and ludicrous overal HQ slot cost) they'll be much loved. Hopefully not meeting too many ID funtimes too often.
    • Also, they're ready to "GIVE 'EM THE CLAMPS!!!"

gallery_54361_16738_116720.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_130407.jpg

I'll be cropping and uploading all of batch three mentioned two posts above this one in the coming days! (I've already fallen way behind the original "you can box and crop two units a day after work." goal I set for myself.)

Everything looks smashing good, really loving the weathering on them!

Good to see you back at it. Excellent work on the Xiphon. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Thanks a bunch, gents. Always greatly appreciate the kind words~

• 2 weeks later...

Smashing stuff, nice weathering on the Deredeo.

Thanks, man! The real "gritty" look of 30K is always a must. Really helps sell the feel of Heresy/Great crusade

Finally getting back to updating this thread; today with some medium tanks!

Legion Whirlwind Scorpius:

• Following the army rule of being as mobile as possible, If artillery had to be in play, it couldn't be huge lumbering gun-carriages like medusa or basilisks. No Ironfire sky-shattering here, just strageic missile barrages!

gallery_54361_16738_470999.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_307583.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_44742.jpg

Legion Predator Tank:

• I had to make an exception for one 30K tank. Not exactly known for armored blitzes, having just 1 as an "Infantry support" element seemed the best way to go. A 30K "pseudo IFV" role as it were. Good at fighting other inf, and light-med tank hunting. Ergo, the plasma/C-beamer predator was chosen!
    • Magnetized turrets and sponsons for all the possible weapon options, though plasma + bolters will be the common default for "IFV" use.

gallery_54361_16738_237107.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_395604.jpg

gallery_54361_16738_381890.jpg

Next up will be the additional terminators and one of the coolest 30k kits, the sicaran (vanilla variant) tank.

Nice work! Painting Scars myself, so appreciate another weathered white legion. Great work on the chipping too.

Grunge is the essence of Heresy/Great Crusade! 

Thanks for the kind words, and god-speed on the Scars, I'd definitely be interested in seeing them as they come to fruition> White's hard to get right, period, let alone weathered.

Just caught up with this - absolutely brilliant, great work Dark Legionnare!

Elements of OSL and general colour play just make the models pop - and I love the battle damage.

Can't wait for a shot of everything in due course! 

Thanks man!  Really appreciate the love <3

Realistically, my only "immediate desires" for the future are the new Kratos (provided it doesn't look naff as hell) as a "fast" LoW for the wolves, and probably a recon squad and recon centurion.

So, I'll likely put everything I've got right now, together at some point since those are a ways off.