Guilliman and Custodes

Skywrath

Yes, the drawbacks of not running him is all well known. However, I disagree with him eating CP, as he gives you +3CP making your effective CP (after everything), start with 12 (15 if you aren't using captain-commander, eternal penitent, etc). That and your focus in the game is on the Custodes, not on G-man. So starting with 15CP and spending it on Auramite and Adamantium, Transhuman, Grim Responsibility etc, could potentially negate any negatives regarding battle-forge. Of course, that's a stretch, but I'm just speculating. 

As a faction Custodes are pretty CP hungry (thankfully less so than the Grey Knights), so is +3 CP worth it over the losing of the +1 invuln, is what I'm wondering. The other rule of importance that I find interesting is the +1 to advance and charge. If you put Bobby G with a squad of Aquillon Terminators (or Allarus) in deep-strike, having that extra bit of security is useful for non Dread Host lists (such as Shadowkeepers). Effectively you are running him as a Shield-Captain with re-rolls, with a lot more extra OOMPH. 

The other thing I'd like to point out, there was a player at the LasVegas Noopen that ran both Custodes and Sororitas in a list. Presumably those custodes would lose their +1 invuln, but he still won with it. Perhaps there is a case for us NOT needing the +1 to our invuln? Granted his focus was on sisters, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable losing that 3+ invuln, while ignoring -2AP with the Custodian Guard.  

I stand corrected, best case Guilliman nets 1CP if the secondary detachment is a patrol.

He must be in a lord of war detachment, which costs 0. He must be the warlord. He gives 3 CP.

Your Custodes detachment then costs 2+ CP.

AFAIK Guilliman can't deepstrike? You could make a massive blob but I think only Saggitarum bring assault weapons to utilize the advance bonus.

Slogging with +1 charge when you could deepstrike seems painful to me.

(Gazes at Guilliman on the shelf, it fails the practical my Lord, you belong with your sons.)

Edited by Emicus

I stand corrected, best case Guilliman nets 1CP if the secondary detachment is a patrol.

He must be in a lord of war detachment, which costs 0. He must be the warlord. He gives 3 CP.

Your Custodes detachment then costs 2+ CP.

AFAIK Guilliman can't deepstrike? You could make a massive blob but I think only Saggitarum bring assault weapons to utilize the advance bonus.

Slogging with +1 charge when you could deepstrike seems painful to me.

(Gazes at Guilliman on the shelf, it fails the practical my Lord, you belong with your sons.)

As for Gulliman deep-striking, you are correct, he can't deep-strike. However, what I intended to convey is that you can put him in Strategic Reserves for 1(2?) CP. Your idea has merit about bringing Sagittarium, but we do have the Sally Forth WL trait that effectively does the same thing. I primarily envisioned Gulliman to get that 8" charge off, as my luck for rolling charges, historically has been nothing but craptastic. (That is even factoring in the 3d6 Dread Host roll). 

Then there is the MW output to consider. On a 6, with 7 or so attacks, one of those 7 attacks will wound score a 6, generating D3 mortal wounds. This could be pretty useful against Death Guard for instance. 

Admittedly, I realise that losing the +1 to your invuln absolutely sucks, but this was always intended to be a theorycrafting scenario. 

Edited by Skywrath