Deathwing 2k

Lord_Ikka

Since it looks like the Deathwing have some fun new rules and might possibly be good on the battlefield for once, I decided to re-do my old Deathwing list and see how it does. It is a terminator themed list, so none of the new Bladeguard guys, and since I rarely use psykers I thought that having it headed by a couple of libbies would be interesting.

HQ

Librarian in termie armor- Chief Librarian, WT- Psychic Mastery, (Mind Worm, Engulfing Fear, Mind Wipe), combi-melta, force staff

Librarian in termie armor- Hero of the Chapter WT- Decisive Tactician, (Aversion, Righteous Repugnance), Master Crafted Weapon- Force Axe, combi-bolter

Elite

Deathwing Knights- 5 man w/Watcher

Deathwing Terminators- 10 man, 2 assault cannons, 2 chainfists, Watcher

Relic Terminators- 6 man (Cataphractii), 4 w/combi-bolters and LC, 1 w/heavy flamer and LC, sarge w/grenade harness, chainfist, and combi-bolter

Relic Terminators- 5 man (Tartaros), 3 w/combi-bolters and chainfist, 1 w/reaper cannon and chainfist, sarge w/grenade harness, chainfist, and plasma blaster

Venerable Dreadnought- Rites of Initiation, twin lascannon, missile launcher

Venerable Dreadnought- Rites of Initiation, twin lacannon, DCCW and storm bolter

Heavy Support

Land Raider- Rites of Initiation, multi-melta, storm bolter

Totals- 1989 points, 11 CP

Initial thoughts are to combat squad the Deathwing Termies into two five-man squads (one with both assault cannons) and have them be my backfield objective holders. The Chief Librarian and the Cataphractii Relic Termies will be in Deep Strike, waiting to become annoyances by dropping in the center of the board and using the Libby to deny auras/obsec and in general try to disrupt the enemy. The Tartaros termies will jump into the Land Raider and forge up the center while the Dreads attempt to attack the enemy's vehicles. The "combat" libby and the Deathwing Knights deep strike near the biggest threat of the enemy, be that a melee unit or whatever. If nothing else, it should be a fun list to try out, any thoughts?

I think that your probably going to get swamped in bodies, that your overpaying for a godhammer when u can have an excelsior for 70 points cheaper

And that your relic terminators are really only so so equipped.

Squad 2 has the right guns, I'm not a big fan of fists, but since we've gone full belial here ill let it slide

The 1st squad.. heavy flamers are decidedly not in vogue, they are poorly preforming and just never a good idea. I'd replace that or drop it wholesale

Your librarians will varying on match-up be amazing or dead weight, I haven't personally decided how I feel about librarians right now when every magic heavy army is still waiting on their codex. It could mean we have nothing but clear skies ahead, or that librarians are about to crash into a wall unless you worship a heretical God, or come with a force Halberd

Oh, being swamped is going to happen- anytime you play a lot of termies you have to expect that :D

My relic terminators are eBay rescues, so they have the equipment they were built with and I just work around it. I think I might be able to swap the Cataphractii heavy flamer for a reaper cannon, I'll have to look at my bits box.

I'm confused about the Excelsior? What is that?

Its an HQ land raider godhammer, the excel is normally only sold at warhammer world, its not tournament legal but its legal otherwise,

For 215 u get one (per army) land raider, it has a 5++, and 2 more wounds then a godhammer and its also got the captains reroll aura and 6 melee strikes as opposed to the usual 4 I think It is.

Normally it would have no warlord trait, but in a deathwing vanguard u can give it warlord, deathwing and then a deathwing warlord trait.

If you use bscribe you'll be told that the vanguard detachment isn't legal, this is in error, it also won't let u assign a deathwing warlord trait despite no restrictions against this

You would also need to replace the hbs with a grav cannon, i leave that task in your capable hands, some companies did at one point sell their party grav cannons

Edited by aura_enchanted

Interesting, but I avoid Legends/non-tourney legal units unless I'm specifically going to play some Open or Narrative games- my local group tends to lean toward Matched Play, tournament-style lists. I will have to look into in though, I'm looking for a centerpiece unit for my DA and that is now on my radar (along with a Typhon or Cerberus).

Tactics-wise, I'm thinking you're generally not going to need or want to tie down Terminators to minding a backfield objectives. Your Dreadnoughts can do that. You're better off with your Terminators moving forward putting pressure on your opponent.

List-wise, I can see how you might want the standard Land Raider for anti-vehicle firepower, but if you took a Crusader, you'd have extra transport capacity and could then take Ezekial instead of one of the Terminator Librarians. Alternately, if you take my advice about using your Terminators aggressively, you could have Ezekial accompany your big squad of Terminators as they walk up the field and keep the standard Land Raider.

Also, I just noticed, no Deathwing Ancient? No Apothecary? They cost points, but they bring a lot of utility to the table.