What wash or ink?

Ulthuan Grey or Fenrisian Grey thinned and with some contrast medium or Gryphcharger Grey also thinned would give you some deeper distinction for deeper recesses, depending if you want a blue or grey tone to the shadows.

For my whites I tend to use a 50/50 of white and Ulthuan for the base tone so I can still use pure white for a point highlight and the Ulthuan as a shade.

Rik

This is a counterintuitive response. Are you suggesting to darken the recesses with a paint that's literally called 'White'?

Apothecary White is actually a light grey off-white, specifically intended for shading whites.

Rik

This is a counterintuitive response. Are you suggesting to darken the recesses with a paint that's literally called 'White'?

Funnily enough, yes. Over either Wraithbone or Grey Seer, Apothecary white settles with a slight grey in the recesses, similar to....Celestra Grey.

Funnily enough, yes. Over either Wraithbone or Grey Seer, Apothecary white settles with a slight grey in the recesses, similar to....Celestra Grey.

This is Apothecary White painted into the recesses of the helmet, which was painted with Corax White:

gGXh5ew.jpg

So... Yes

Edited by Gederas

My sons of hawk boi have white helmets, red trim on the shoulder pads the rest of the pad is white, and fingers for p. Fists and L. Claws are also white.

How do I creat good contrast and shading in the recessed areas of the white without dirtying up my nice white I worked so hard to get?

Easy. Gloss varnish and pin wash. If you want a tutorial, you can see an example here at 8'50":