White Scars: New Units, New Strategy

Prot

So right now if you've seen some of my threads, I am convinced I can be competitive vs Death Guard.

I just played against Sisters, and suffered a close loss vs. Death Guard. In those games I realized the obvious; we can't play a good ol' assault list and expect to win. The hunt has changed, and the approach to these games has changed as well.

Without dragging this out, I'm going to jump into some units that have been more or less recently released and their overall impact on my games (and hopefully your games as well)!

Right now I am going with a squad of ATV with MM's (sometimes one Onslaught.) While that may not be as potent as normal attack bikes, and now the loss of resurrection (which probably tipped the balance towards ATV's) is now another knock against them.

What I've decided to add is a new Thunderstrike speeder.

I have chosen this variant because it begins as a BS 2 vehicle (which is unique to these units). Also I feel that the Hammerstrike will get attention, however with White Scars the Thunderstrike will suit a backfield unit a bit better.

This unit might be horrid overall, but I'm always trying new stuff.

This makes my end list more spread out, a little better at handling multiple roles. I'd like to hear what units you guys are giving a go with? 

I've been considering lasfusil eliminators with a phobos librarian.  They are also BS 2+ but if you pair them with the libby and give him "lord of deceipt" they are never in danger of being first turn wiped.  If you go second just put them in reserve, and if you go first... shoot stuff.  Also, the phobos libby can make use of the guerrilla warfare stratagem to show up in unexpected places the same turn he disappears(not turn 1 though).  This seems more in keeping with Raven Guard but the hunt doesn't always mean bikes chasing stuff down.   I'm not convinced this will be good but I want to try it! 

I like it! Very creative. Those are units I thought about, but never put into play (mostly the lasfusils)

I am doing my test VS. Death Guard again today. I don't expect much from the Speeder itself, I'm looking more at the list as a whole. 

BTW: I just finished reading Brotherhood of the Storm. Great, fun book. Interesting Ork ending as well (a tad weird, but cool) Good inspiration for painting/assembly for me. 

Melta ATVs are rock solid but you need squads of two.

Yes they seem like good overall performers. I have been playing with squads of 2 and of 3. Sometimes I throw 2 MM's, and one Onslaught together which gives them a very good mixed role, and if I need the melta's then I simply give the wounds to the Onslaught. It also works the reverse if my opponent is very light on armour or tough models and has spam. 

I find Fast Attack slots to be very limited atm in the battalion (I spend a LOT of CP on characters), My one "floating" slot (after plasceptors and outriders) is currently occupied by bolter inceptors because i'm getting significant consistency from them for secondary scoring. deep strike turn 2, deploy scramblers, and occasionally get 2 CP spent on them so they can shoot, then making sure i'm hitting 4 quarters for Engage. They tend to be lower priority by turn 3 with the combat units hitting, but discounting 30 shots from a 5 man unit isn't something all my opponents want to do.

I'd love to try melta ATVs. But would mean using the plasma inceptors for deploy scramblers and engage. They are super valuable starting on the board and a much higher priority target so I'm not sure I'm willing to use that just yet.

Also continuing my advocacy for Aggressors in White Scars lists. With either a Chief Apothecary holding Plume of the Planesrunnner backing them up or a Ride the Winds Libby, they have serious threat range. Having the fall back and shoot strat is also clutch for them.

Edited by Riddlesworth

Good insight, and I admit I have gone full circle on Aggressors. I disliked the changes in 9th but ended up finding them useful again. In my Ultra's I use flamer aggressors, and I think I would stick to that for White Scars (just for insta hits, advancing, flaming, charging, etc.)

The ATV's are decent. I still think original bikes are better on a point per point bases. 

That's a really interesting take on Intercessors! I find I'm using them to block out a lot with UM, and with Scars I'm always moving up... always. I can't see taking Banners or Scramblers with my Scars! I don't know how you do it, but since you can't advance and do it, I just find I always want to advance so much that I can't fathom walking up the field at normal speed against anything but Death Guard.

I often use Encirclement with Eradicators. But other than that I rely on ATV's and Outriders (I just like the models) to get that Engage secondary for me. 

I really think the Redemptor is an excellent choice for Encirclement but I've been trying a similarly pointed Thunderstrike Speeder. (Not even close for performance though.)

Since I always start with a Battalion so I'm stuck at 3 HQ and that is one tough decision since I love taking Kor'sarro for starters.

My Fast slots are always full with WS and honestly I just dropped Plasma-ceptors entirely and don't really miss them right now.

That's a really interesting take on Intercessors! I find I'm using them to block out a lot with UM, and with Scars I'm always moving up... always. I can't see taking Banners or Scramblers with my Scars! I don't know how you do it, but since you can't advance and do it, I just find I always want to advance so much that I can't fathom walking up the field at normal speed against anything but Death Guard.

Inceptors :)

Deploy scramblers is a guaranteed 10 points in 9/10 games for me.

Turn 1: intercessors on home objective.

Turn 2: inceptor deep strike in enemy deployment. Uncompromising fire strat means not missing out on the firepower.

Turn 3+: an intercessor unit somewhere in midfield scores me 10 points.

Add that to white scars mobility netting 10 points reliably for Engage and an apothecary backed unit holding midboard for oaths of moment. I'm comfortably scoring 30 points a game without flexing off primary.

My Fast slots are always full with WS and honestly I just dropped Plasma-ceptors entirely and don't really miss them right now.

My one crutch currently...hopefully the speeder works out!

Ha, the speeder hasn't worked out yet, but it looks cool!

I like the idea you're using for the Scramblers... I may try it. Although since I have dropped plasma-ceptors I am thinking my use of Infiltrators may help. I love using my Assault Intercessors though so hard to see them -not- advancing. :)

Ha, the speeder hasn't worked out yet, but it looks cool!

I like the idea you're using for the Scramblers... I may try it. Although since I have dropped plasma-ceptors I am thinking my use of Infiltrators may help. I love using my Assault Intercessors though so hard to see them -not- advancing. :)

For scramblers, I've used bolter imceptors, plasma inceptors, eradicators and aggressors. Uncompromising fire means if you were encircling them for shooting, you may as well pick up a relatively easy secondary for the 2 CP it costs you.

Agree on the assault intercessors :). Those boys are KEEN to see combat. Usually I have a unit in the middle that won't be moving to score 2 points for oaths. They make a great scramblers unit in T3. Have done that with intercessors, bladeguard and aggressors.

I'm planning on pushing the Scramblers secondary a bit harder. I've tried it with UM and I think it worked well but there is some practice needed to time the best squads at the best points of the game.

I'm still using the Speeder.... it's so incredibly fragile but a lot of fun. Probably a better purchase than the Gladiator.

I'm adding more Bladeguard for a game today! I did pull out the Bladeguard Ancient (I just think he's a bit too overpriced.)

After -1 and +1 dmg, BGV swords still net 2 dmg, which is enough to one hit KO a PM.

Against better "tough guy"units(DG Blord, DA inner circle, or any mass-stormshield unit), you will need nullzone. You could easily acquire it through Tome of Malcador, without drop any chapter special psychic powers.