Uriel Vetris Rules. Makes Calgar and Sicarius look bad!

Ishagu

Here he is for 110 points!

I would argue he's better in combat against most targets than Calgar, and better in shooting too.

Great character and good addition to our faction, and easily the best of the named Captains. His CP cost reduction rule is really useful too.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/02/17/wage-war-like-a-maverick-with-captain-uriel-ventris-new-rules-and-model/

Now let's hope GW update our supplement too because our heroes and rules are in real need of a tune up! Calgar, Sicarius and Cassius need a point drop/rule boost. Guilliman too, but that's going off on a tangent. I will add that these rules make me hopeful for our supplement when it eventually drops!

Edited by Ishagu

Holy emperor o.o

Inb4 nerfs, because that is broken as all hell. Probably another tactic to get people to buy him, before they nerf him.

Nah, not broken at all. Have you seen Azrael? He's the Dark Angels CM and has better rules than Ventris/Calgar in every way, whilst also granting a 4++ invul to core units around him on top of the other auras, and he's only 170 points. Other heroes also have compelling abilities and rules.

I've been saying this for a while - the UM heroes have really fallen behind in 9th edition. For the record I'm not being negative, I'm simply pointing this out. Auras in 9th have been nerfed - this is a good thing! Unfortunately our characters haven't been adjusted yet to make up for their drop in power due to the nerfing of the auras. I'm not upset by this because I know that they'll be updated eventully.

What you're seeing in the various 9th edition books now are heroes that are far more reliable in close combat and shooting, and have some unique rules to modify strats, durability, etc. Ventris is an example of a good 9th edition character. When our next supplement drops I expect big improvements to Calgar, Guilliman, Sicarius, etc

Edited by Ishagu

Holy emperor o.o

Inb4 nerfs, because that is broken as all hell. Probably another tactic to get people to buy him, before they nerf him.

Nah, not broken at all. Have you seen Azrael? He's a CM with better rules than Ventris in every way ad he grants a 4++ invul to core units around him on top of the other auras, and he's only 170 points.

I've been saying this for a while - our heroes have really fallen behind in 9th edition. For the record I'm not being negative, I'm simply pointing this out. Auras in 9th have been nerfed - this is a good thing! Unfortunately our characters haven't been adjusted yet to make up for their drop in power due to the nerfing of the auras.

What you're seeing in various books now are heroes that are far more reliable in close combat and shooting, and have some unique rules to modify strats, durability, etc. Ventris is a example of a good 9th edition character. When our next supplement drops I expect big improvements to Calgar, Guilliman, etc

Funny you should mention that, because I just compared him to Azrael to my friend over at Facebook. 110 points for what he offers is too low. Here's why..

First things first, I didn't notice he had an invuln, based on the stat-sheet? He 99% probably will though (just an off-topic point, not related to my main argument). Secondly, he comes with two relics - Like a flat 3 sword, and a D2 bolter (granted D2 weaponry is becoming mainstream nowadays). Azrael has that as well, granted, but as you pointed out he's 170 points with a weaker sword, and a similar damage gun. His WL trait is ehh, so I'll give that to you. Similar story with that 1CP adaptive strategem, situational at best. 

Sure he doesn't have CM re-rolls, but he has so much interactions with strategems and his relics are too good for what he offers. I will say I'm not in the loop of how good your other Ultramarine characters are - but isn't having Marneus and Gulliman enough? 

Edited by Skywrath

I think granting every core infantry unit around you a 4++ invul, as well as the Chapter Master aura and some extra CP on top is easily worth 60 points.

The Orbital bombardment rules are for Crusade only. Keep that in mind, they aren't rules for competitive play.

Having Calgar and Guilliman doesn't mean anything if they cant pull their weight on the tabletop. Lovely models, no doubt about it - but they have to be compelling to play as well.

Edited by Ishagu

I think granting every core infantry unit around you a 4++ invul, as well as the Chapter Master aura and some extra CP on top is easily worth 60 points.

The Orbital bombardment rules are for Crusade only. Keep that in mind, they aren't rules for competitive play.

Having Calgar and Guilliman doesn't mean anything if they cant pull their weight on the tabletop. Lovely models, no doubt about it - but they have to be compelling to play as well.

As a Dark Angel (former Dark Angel??), there is little reason to make Azrael  your warlord, even for those 2 CP. Your WL trait, by default would probably go on some sort of Deathwing Character for either Calibanite Knight or Watched. The option is there granted, but always not used, there are better options. Disregard my comment about Orbital Bombardment, how embarrassing.. However, the last bit on your end was a bit of a misleading statement, as both G-man and Calgar remain very competitive choices even without your supplement :)

Guilliman can definitely be used, but is very expensive and easy to kill. I've dropped him from my lists because the army is simply too small with him in it, and I can bring extra units that are durable and don't rely on auras to be effective.

Calgar is strictly inferior to a generic CM you can make. The damage reduction rule is nice for sure, but I can make a hero that can deal far more damage for far less points. A generic Gravis CM for 150 points has more reliable damage and generally the same rules, and if I start stacking relics and warlord traits on top he can easily be better.

That's the issue - I can make a better hero for cheaper.

Edited by Ishagu

I agree that his rules are surprisingly solid when compared to other UM characters and also agree that the UM supplement needs an upgrade.

I don't think he's game changing though at 110pts but is certainly a character I might build a fluffy list around.

It's a shame that my Ultras are all painted as Second Company and are First Born - I would have loved to have had similar rules for (or as good as) Sicarius.

Yeah I'll be painting mine in my own custom 2nd company. My Ultras are painted in a slightly modified "re-formed" legion scheme.

He's not game changing, but he's a very solid "cheap" Captain unit.

"Broken as hell". I think I read this before reading the actual rules for Ventris and can't disagree more.

He's low level for a 'new' character. He has no survivability and his best attributes are close combat which quite frankly don't fall in line with most Ultramarine lists. Most 'real' close combat armies will chew him up and spit him out.

He's got a cool factor for me but that's it. There's no way this guy has me winning more games than I would with Calgar, or.... any HQ for that matter. An upgraded Chaplain is potentially adding more to my lists.

This guy is cool, and he fits the chapter. I personally would play him just for the ability to use the discounted Strat and to be 100% honest I maybe use that once every 3 or so games. 

"Broken as hell". I think I read this before reading the actual rules for Ventris and can't disagree more.

He's low level for a 'new' character. He has no survivability and his best attributes are close combat which quite frankly don't fall in line with most Ultramarine lists. Most 'real' close combat armies will chew him up and spit him out.

He's got a cool factor for me but that's it. There's no way this guy has me winning more games than I would with Calgar, or.... any HQ for that matter. An upgraded Chaplain is potentially adding more to my lists.

This guy is cool, and he fits the chapter. I personally would play him just for the ability to use the discounted Strat and to be 100% honest I maybe use that once every 3 or so games. 

Disregard what I wrote, I requested my previous post to be deleted -_-

For 15 points more than the standard loadout Captain (MC power sword & stalker bolt rifle), he gets an extra 1D on his sword, and has similar gun (RF1 instead of Heavy1 but slightly shorter range and 1 less D) and access to the CP reduction on Adaptive strategy.

I assume he has the same survivabilty with an Iron Halo 4+ inv, and he has a fixed warlord trait rather than being able to choose.

I'll echo what has been said above, he seems a very thematic choice and I like how they have handled him. As Ishagu said, along with the recent Codicies, this does offer a glimpse of what to expect when the supplement is updated further down the line. 

I'll be grabbing him for the collection and will try him in a couple of games

Edited by NKirkham24

I think he's a solid footslogger, but therein lies the problem for me. I take lists that have a bit of movement or deployment options in them and plenty of vehicles alongside the Troops choices bringing up the rear.

Compared to a Captain in Terminator Armour, on a bike or with a Jump Pack, he can't support my army.

A Gravis Captain seems tougher and provides much of the same buffs.

And what about the Phobos Captains who have better sniper rifles or Relic Bolters?

He's good, but I dunno.

Definitely better than Sicarius who seems to be lacking his theme from the fluff. Sicarius needs a boost to melee as a duelist and something of his Lightning strikes he was famed for (like a unit can declare a charge from a Drop Pod with +2 to the roll, or units coming from a Drop Pod with Sicarius as the Warlord get and additional -1 AP on their bolt weapons)

Disregard what I wrote, I requested my previous post to be deleted -_-

Don't worry, we're allowed to change our opinions. It's all good, brother, don't worry. :)

He seems good. Not amazing, but certainly pretty good. Damage 3 is nice on his sword for sure, and his special ability seems a bit niche, but still pretty decent when the situation arises. Certainly better than Valerian for custodes, that's for sure. He seems like a good reasonably priced captain. I'll be getting him for sure.

As others have said, I'm excited about what this means for our other named characters once our supplement gets updated.

All Black Library models are available on the website, so if you miss the in-store it will be released sometime later.

Something I'm noticing here. People are saying he isn't better than a choppy captain, or a shooty captain, or a transport captain, but here's the thing: he's an excellent tactical captain. Decent at everything, not spectacular at anything, but a very functional Ultramarines captain and I'm quite pleased with it. It feels exactly right for the army.

Edited by Seahawk

Ventris looks promosing for a sign of things to come.

Honestly the weapon damage for characters needs a revisit for Calgar and Sicarius. Those fists need to be doing 3 damage, tempest blade for 2 converting to mortals on 6.

Character leadership and tactics ethos needs to be reflected with all off them like Ventris.

I still like Cato obsec rule for vanguard vets. Very useful but not very thematic.

I just hope Ventris is here to stay.