Thunderlord or Bikerlord?

Karhedron

I am mulling over a new Wolf Lord for 9th. I am torn between a Lord on Thunderwolf and one on a bike. Loadout is likely to be TH/SS in either case and probably either the Armour of Russ or Pelt of the Balewolf if the AoR is already taken.

The Thunderlord gets +1W and the TWolf's attacks. The Biker Lord is 10 points cheaper and has a faster move (14" base with a guaranteed 20" Advance) and the twin bolters on the bike. I can always take Saga of the Hunter if I really want to follow up a 20" move with the a charge.

Right now I am leaning towards the mobility of the Biker being more useful than the extra wound. The ability to deliver his Aura wherever needed is a big incentive. It is just that Thunderwolves are more iconic. Which would you choose and why?

To be fair, that might be an issue for me with a Biker Lord too. I would probably use an Outrider as the basis for the conversion simple as the model looks much cooler than the old 90s bikes. I did the same with a BA Captain and it turned out rather well.

med_gallery_82363_13858_174505.jpg

Had a match today that really showed off the benefits of the bike lord and his superior range on turns 3-4-5

It is the Pod 4 SW v WS batrep in my murderfang saga

I was basically zooming from objective to objective killing his survivors trying to hide and score points

The larger base is the real downside with the wolf mount. As was said, being blocked by your own troops (and/or terrain) can really make the best laid plans fizzle. Personally, I'm feeling the primaris chaplain on bike is our best HQ choice, and plan to run 2 of them if I ever get a chance to play.

I have a bike Chaplain and plan to run him too but I wonder if 2 is starting to get into diminishing returns. Plus a Lord with a Hammer just hits a lot harder. :biggrin.:

A smash chaplain with mantra of strength can do 3 damage with his Crozius and save points not having to buy a TH (AP is 1 less though)

His reroll works for all hits (not just 1s) and buffs characters too

He won't help shooters reroll but I could see it working

Depending on how heavy you lean into that primaris biker slaplain he can be more deadly then the lords. I outlined this in another thread but if he takes the benediction of fury and you give him saga of hunter and imperium sword. He moves advances and charges with rerolls to charge free. The benediction of fury plus imperium make him S7 -2 3dmg at 6 attacks on charge doing mortals in addition on 6s to wound. Add in the mantra of strength and he is S8 -2 4dmg 7 attacks. MOH spell buffs that further to S9 and 8attacks plus mortals in 6s. If you don’t care about advance and charge you could add in beastslayer or wolf kin instead for more attacks taking him to between 9-11plus mortals on 6s. Might be overkill but against things like knights or other big baddies not such a bad deal. Savage fury obviously ramps this up a little more. I like the slaplain over the lords in a straight up fight. Edited by TheUnlikelyGamer84

I have a bike Chaplain and plan to run him too but I wonder if 2 is starting to get into diminishing returns. Plus a Lord with a Hammer just hits a lot harder. :biggrin.:

I don't think you'd see diminishing returns with 2 biker wolf priests. There are a lot of good relics and litanies available I would be somewhat concerned that they see a price hike because they show up in every marine list.

That said if a tooled up wolf lord is going put a grin on your face you should go with it.

I don't think you'd see diminishing returns with 2 biker wolf priests. There are a lot of good relics and litanies available I would be somewhat concerned that they see a price hike because they show up in every marine list.

That said if a tooled up wolf lord is going put a grin on your face you should go with it.

If you do one beatstick Priest and one buffing/durable priest then that would work

These are great ideas coming in. Thanks guys, I am loving them. Do I really need a smash Lord? I don't tend to spam plasma so a bubble of rerolling 1s might not be essential. Perhaps the Priest buffs actually have more mileage and utilty.

Thanks for the food for thought.

My old sons of fenris list had 2 bike smash lords and a primaris chaplain on bike

I removed 1 smash lord and haven't noticed much of a drop off

The chaplain and his reroll all melee hits basically serves the same role once the early game shooting is over and units get up close and personal

This theory crafting has me curious if I can use 2 chaplains instead of a wolf lord and chaplain now...only 1 wise orator but I can imagine all kinds of silly combos

Edited by TiguriusX