Best Allies for Death Guard?

About two years ago I was able to get ahold of the Dark Imperium boxset. This set gave me Death Guard, and due to me being a heretic fan I prized myself on getting these. However, there's three ways to expand I'm looking at. 

1.Just get the plagueburst crawler and blight haulter. Now, these are very tempting options, but the issue is my friend Jacob isn't very knowledgeable about the game and I honestly would like to save fulfilling my Death Guard list when he knows what he's doing. Since my DG are my allstar team, (the ones I play when I want to get serious in playing), I feel that just filling out their list with tanks will cause him to not want to play anymore. So this is a "last" option.

2.The second is one I'm rather into, daemons of Nurgle. While I hear daemons have their faults, I do admit I am biased in getting them. A lot of them have FLY keywords, I love the magic and psykers, and I love melee. I'm not sure what would go with Death Guard here, also I feel like daemons could be useful in Age of Sigmar or Kill Team, but I need hefty amount of knowledge on what could work with Death Guard.

3.My third is to have ally detachment of normal Chaos Space Marines and heretics. While I love CSM, I am doing this for range attacks and vehicle options. 

Note: I am aware I would debuff myself from lack of chapter tactics or loss of contagion or Disgustingly Resilient, but the thing is my friend isn't savvy with the game and I would basically be teaching him, as such I don't think he would understand how these buffs work and I honestly could defeat him without them. However, I am looking to expand my roster with the most "worth it" as far as having an army with a lot of flavor. It's not about victory so much as the gaming experience, hence why I'm now thinking to save off the crawler and hauler, but perhaps expand into daemons or chaos space marine vanilla. 

I'd go with Nurgle daemons, they pair nicely with DG.

Or at least they used to. Ironically, due to COVID, I haven't used my DG or Nurgle daemons since 8th. :smile.:

Yeah, that was a bit of my first option, mostly because my daemon engines I can always just buy being core tanks when my friend Jacob gets and uses tanks. I'm wanting daemons so I can secretly convince my mind to flesh out a daemon army for AOS or Kill Team. As for Chaos Space Marines, I could do them too as well, but it's all about what I end up having the most fun with. Since you cannot use tanks in AOS or Kill Team, I thought daemons would be great. I also just got daemons before the virus hit.

I hear daemons are not tactical now, unfortunately, but I'm not sure. 

If he has units that can deal with vehicles, I say get vehicles. If not and not knowing your collection, I would suggest Possessed and/or terminators.

I’m not sure I would bring in allies that handicap my army (losing contagions). Have you asked him what he would like to face? Maybe he wants to add units to his army and you could bring stuff that makes his units meaningful to be there.

If he has units that can deal with vehicles, I say get vehicles. If not and not knowing your collection, I would suggest Possessed and/or terminators.

I’m not sure I would bring in allies that handicap my army (losing contagions). Have you asked him what he would like to face? Maybe he wants to add units to his army and you could bring stuff that makes his units meaningful to be there.

He uh, doesn't even know the lore yet. That's the thing, I could still win just by playing even if I handicapped my force. What I have now is right out of the box Dark Imperium, meaning both primaris I was going to let him play or I play my DG. I also have one start collecting Orks box which I will train him with. He really doesn't even know how Chaos works, hence why I'm trying to bring in Orks until he gets some training wheels taken off. See, he's an old friend of mine I've not spoken to for eight years that went back to me in high school. But, I've recently met him on steam and he's eager to come over and play, sadly he only knows "Imperial Guard are WW2 like". I am not really worried about being outmatched even without Contagion. 

Bloody truths in 9th: New books good. Old books bad. I won't consider any ally for DG, before new CSM and TS codex arrived.

Demon is still powerful with current book, but the biggest part of their power is coming from the refreshed Slannesh products range, which I don't have interest in.

Bloody truths in 9th: New books good. Old books bad. I won't consider any ally for DG, before new CSM and TS codex arrived.

Demon is still powerful with current book, but the biggest part of their power is coming from the refreshed Slannesh products range, which I don't have interest in.

Daemons of Nurgle are not good? 

They won't make DG better. Since the topic is about "DG army with allies", not "demon army with 3 PBC". If I really own 15 beasts models(of course I don't, they are much more expensive than my whole DG army), why don't me start to play a Nurgle-demon centered army instead?

They won't make DG better. Since the topic is about "DG army with allies", not "demon army with 3 PBC". If I really own 15 beasts models(of course I don't, they are much more expensive than my whole DG army), why don't me start to play a Nurgle-demon centered army instead?

Because, I a got $159 boxset for $65 at a game place randomly by pure luck. I'm trying to enhance what I have. 

you don't want to ally anything in 9th. At all. Soup is dead in 9th. 

What happened?

You lose army rules by souping in 9th. For DG you lose contagions which is a pretty high price to pay. 

you don't want to ally anything in 9th. At all. Soup is dead in 9th. 

What happened?

You lose army rules by souping in 9th. For DG you lose contagions which is a pretty high price to pay. 

Can't I like um, just use Death Guard alone some random day and some day mix them? *Shrugs* I'm not uber competitive, neither is my friend who doesn't even know how to play yet. 

I hate to say it, but for now I would go with option one. From a gaming standpoint it is the most reasonable option as the other options do wind up harming your game experience. Now from a hobby standpoint do whatever you want to do. I do miss the days when daemonkin was a viable option.

I hate to say it, but for now I would go with option one. From a gaming standpoint it is the most reasonable option as the other options do wind up harming your game experience. Now from a hobby standpoint do whatever you want to do. I do miss the days when daemonkin was a viable option.

The thing is that unless my friend brings in tanks, (which I would know by then), then I'm just showing off and pressuring him with more  DG tanks. Plus, $35 here and $65 later on won't break my budget. So, option one is an "eventually" thing. I'm more concerned with which would be better to put into, marines or daemons. I get it's more tactical though. I also feel like if I buy now, along the line the new codex will come and suddenly my daemon army will be relevant again. 

The thing is that unless my friend brings in tanks, (which I would know by then), then I'm just showing off and pressuring him with more  DG tanks. Plus, $35 here and $65 later on won't break my budget. So, option one is an "eventually" thing. I'm more concerned with which would be better to put into, marines or daemons. I get it's more tactical though. I also feel like if I buy now, along the line the new codex will come and suddenly my daemon army will be relevant again. 

So, like folks have already said, there's a new system in play that makes allying the two together not like it was in 8th.  One of the biggest strengths of Death Guard, gets turned off the second you put one "Non Deathguard model" in the entire army.  Hopefully something in the demons codex will allow them to tag along with chaos legions in limited numbers without penalty/breaking rules, like the "Agents of The Imperium" do for normal marines.

For now though, that's neither here nor there.  If you're looking into "usefullness overall for the forseeable future" the PBC and hauler are good buys.  The PBC especially, was solid in 8th, is still solid now, and will hopefully not get nerf-batted into oblivion in CA 2021 or 10th edition.  It's also a great kit. Very easy to put together compared to say, a chaos Rhino or predator.

For you buddy getting into the game more, going with daemons is a cheapish route enough for you to play games with him without discouraging him.  Nurgle range has some old stuff, but MOST of it actually holds up really well, so I would totally say going with some nurglings and plaguebearers would be good stuff. You can never go wrong with those.  And like you said, that gives you some cross-game ability with AoS and such.  If you really want to take the plunge, the Great Unclean One is a great unit, a great kit as well. Good HQ for the demons force to use, albeit, not really meant for small skirmish games.