Dawn of Fire confirmed to cover first 12 year of the Crusade

Reading the article in the new White Dwarf about the Dawn of Fire series. One thing that jumped out at me is Guy Haley said the series will cover "the first twelve years or so of the Indomitus Crusade."

I believe this is the first time we've had an official comment on the endpoint of the series? It was obvious it would have to end sometime before the re-positioned Dark Imperium books (also set about 12 years into the Crusade) since Guilliman's no longer using the Dawn of Fire as his flagship by then, having reclaimed Macragge's Honour. But it appears that the series will run all the way up to just before the (slightly) rewritten Book 1 of the Dark Imperium trilogy. So maybe the final book in the series will lead directly into Dark Imperium.

In retrospect, I may have just forgotten a clue in the first DI book about Guilliman having only recently re-acquired Macragge's Honour. I only read that book once and that was years ago.

I think this first came up during the Black Library preview a few months back, when they confirmed the Dark Imperium rewrites. Haley mentioned it in his interview.

Edit: relistened to the interview. Haley said Dawn of Fire covers the first part of the Crusade and that the first part of the Crusade ends with Dark Imperium, so the clues were there but this might be the first explicit confirmation.

Edited by cheywood

Which will mean that the Vigilus campaign, which occurred approx 25 years after the rift opening, will be post Dawn of Fire.

Vigilus was all over the place. But I would bet on it occurring relatively early in the revised timeline, given that it was a plot point early on in book 2. And it still really needs to take place before Baal re-emerges to where it can interact with the Imperium, which happens around 10 years post-Rift in the new timeline. Otherwise, for a conflict as heavy as Vigilus, it wouldn't make sense for Dante as Regent of Imperium Nihilus to be sitting on his hands and not sending any Blood Angels or successor chapters to help out.

Which will mean that the Vigilus campaign, which occurred approx 25 years after the rift opening, will be post Dawn of Fire.

Vigilus was all over the place. But I would bet on it occurring relatively early in the revised timeline, given that it was a plot point early on in book 2. And it still really needs to take place before Baal re-emerges to where it can interact with the Imperium, which happens around 10 years post-Rift in the new timeline. Otherwise, for a conflict as heavy as Vigilus, it wouldn't make sense for Dante as Regent of Imperium Nihilus to be sitting on his hands and not sending any Blood Angels or successor chapters to help out.

While I haven't seen anything yet changing the Vigilus timeline, you may be right about a realigning coming after the mention in book two. I would give a lot to get a glimpse of the spreadsheets mentioned in the interview.

I did not catch, the fact that DoF is supposed to cover only the first decade of the Indomitus Crusade, but I'm okay with it. Actually that makes a lot more sense. This way they can still incorporate everything from 8th edition and Psychic Awakening and properly expand on those stories.

Agreed. Also getting the full crusade fleets crossing the great rift and their reaction to the chaos there would be great to see in detail.

When is now in the current setting? I didn't like Dark Imperium being after the crusade or us even knowing how long the crusade lasts. I'd like the current time setting to some unclear time during the era indomnatus with the conclusion unclear

I never really understood GW decision to jump forward 112 years. Why not have the present day in the setting be during the Indomitus Crusade? It is the perfect way to gradually introduce new Primaris units over time (real world to reflect release of units and players spending money when they can - ie not many will afford a complete Primaris TT army) + makes sense from Lore pov!

I never really understood GW decision to jump forward 112 years. Why not have the present day in the setting be during the Indomitus Crusade? It is the perfect way to gradually introduce new Primaris units over time (real world to reflect release of units and players spending money when they can - ie not many will afford a complete Primaris TT army) + makes sense from Lore pov!

Well, they've fixed that now!