Branching out into Chaos daemons.

Is there a way to make daemons "work"? I have Death Guard, but I've always wanted a daemon army, what purchases would justify having this army? I hear they're not uber competitive, but I've wanted them since 2010. I don't want Slaanesh though (they are too promiscious for my room), but I am fine with Khorne, Tzeentch, or Nurgle. Should I wait for an update and just buy the models now? I was going with Nurgle, but would a mixed daemon army be good? I've always wanted them since the Ultimate Apocalypses mod and Dawn of War 2. 

Reasons why I want them:

1.They FLY, yes I know the AA rule, but still I like armies that can fly.

2.Melee heavy, right up my alley

3.psykers, also right up  my alley.

4.I hear you can play them in Age of Sigmar and Kill Team, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. 

Daemons can be played in AoS and Kill Team yes, though sadly the latter is a poor effort from GW so it's not an option taken up much to my knowledge :confused: Nurgle daemons would go well with your DG of course, you can start out with some basics and summon them to get going before fielding a proper Daemons army (as I did).

As you've noted the codex isn't in the best of places currently, but as far as I'm aware Nurgle daemons aren't doing too badly out of all. I have little interest in Nurgle though, so others can give you more detailed help here :tu: Most people play mono-god I think (which apparently still confuses GW?) but mixing would give you plenty of options for a force. Model wise Daemons are highly unlikely to see any models redone in the foreseeable future, so you should be safe to get some models now to start building your army up. It's probably best to wait for the next Daemons codex before getting that, though we've no clue when this may be (again, I'd not be wagering soon).

If you haven't got it already I recommend Battlescribe as a great way to see what an army can do and lists can look like, it should help you understand more and have an idea of where you may want to go :) Don't forget to keep us updated on your progress!

I can not agree with Daemons not beeng competative. Sites like Goonhammer have them rated as top tier army and you see quite some Daemon lists in top placements at some tournaments. Granted, most of those lists are carried by 3-4 Keeper of Secrets, but there are still other solid options.

If you are looking for something to support your DG Nurgle makes the most sense to start with.

https://warp-hammer.com/2021/02/11/excellence-in-pestilence-the-guide-to-winning-with-nurgle-daemons/

This link might be helpful.

https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-chaos-daemons/

This too.

I personally think Beasts of Nurgle are very competative, which kind of makes Horticulus Slimux competative when, too. At least when there are 15.27 Beasts on the table.

Nurglings are still competative, Drones have gotten interesting because of their point drop to 35 points a piece.

While not beeing super competative, GuOs and Plaguebearers are still playable as are the support HQs.

If you want them, go for them. So far this edition is great for Daemon players.

A solid starting point would be 3x Start Collecting Nurgle. Price is good and you got a few units to play around with. You can also try to sell 2 of the 3 Poxbringers to make it even cheaper, I never used more than 1 in my games.

Edited by DeStinyFiSh

• 4 weeks later...

Daemons are great, Brother Jared, especially for your painting techniques, or perhaps your conversion skills.

It looks like you're just brainstorming right now, leaning towards Nurgle.  I'll say this:

• Nurglings are the absolute go-to Troops choice.  Cheap blobs of Wounds that infiltrate to Secure Objectives
  • Winged Daemon Princes are the other go-to unit.  Tzeentch is the most popular
  • Compared to other Factions, there is LESS incentive to go mono-theme, as the Daemon "Chapter Tactics" are less attractive

Result - many competitive players go with Tzeentch Winged Daemon Princes + Nurglings as the backbone of the army, to fulfill the Patrol/Battalion force org chart slots, then add on what else they like (often included are actually Beasts of Nurgle as Brother DestinyFish pointed out).

Disclaimer - I wanted to state my biases but they're more like experiences.  In fact, I never thought I'd go for Chaos Daemons.  The only reason I did was I was really drunk one night and I thought of a really funny idea (a Guardsman unknowingly infected with Nurgle's Rot, now passing it to everyone he comes into contact with, this was before Covid, so it's not really funny anymore).  Once committed, I found them a joy to paint, going so far as to make a Nurgle Blood Bowl team, etc.

I think beyond the rules or game mechanics, you already enjoy the narrative aspect of Chaos (I did notice your dA Chaos RP, THAT's the sort of thing you should do, like Heralds are actually people who became tainted by Chaos).  The whole Hobby aspect of Daemons is really fun, especially with your ideas.