Planning ahead. Input for 500, 750, 1k

Emurian

Context: I am planning out my IG army atm. I Thus tasked myself with making 3 lists, trying to keep using the same units, as a roadmap to stimulate myself to paint all these models. All lists make use of the +6 range to heavy weapons and rerolling 1 dice per DX shot.

List  HQ Commander

-Powerfist

Elites: 

2x Command squad

-4 Sniper Rifles

Troops:

3x Infantry Platoon

-1x Bolter, 1x Plasma gun

Heavy support:

1x Ace Manticore (D3 damage)

-Heavy Stubber, Storm Bolter

1x Mortar Team

Total 500 points Upgrading towards 750:

-1 Powerfist on commander -1 Heavy stubber on manticore Frees up 15 points.

+1 Tank commander Leman Russ Executioner

-Plasma Side sponsers

+1 Heavy Bolter team

Total 750 points. Upgrading to 1000

+3 Infantry platoons -Bolter, Plasma

70 points remaining. (Leaning towards 2 multi laser sentinels)

Main goal of mine was to work my way up in terms of infantry numbers. I set the goal to paint up 60 infantry asap and work my way from there with all the fancy additions. I also roughly aim to include 1 vehichle per 500 points in the list.

Edited by Emurian

This looks like a good plan from a modelling and gameplay perspective as getting a bit of everything.

At this stage in 9th edition its hard to say what is going to be effective in terms of matched play as we are still pre-codex.

Some modelling things to consider:

The mortars don't use the tripod in the heavy weapon team kit so you can set the up as 3 mortars and then magnetize the tripods for your lascannon/bolter/autocannon choice. Or prop up on bits of scenery etc. Essentially you can really stretch the kit to cover your bases (literally...) making a nice hobby project and list flexibility in future.

Leman Russ is another nice project to magnetise for both side sponsons and gun.

Infantry target (60) is sensible - its a grind however you do them! and I love infantry!

Snipers for some regiments you can pick up on ebay, or convert. There are old metal sculpts and a plastic cloak/rifle you can adapt troopers with.

If converting the company commander to powerfist the necromunda orlock boxed set has a nice one that is good scale for a guardsman whilst still looking cool, again you can pick up ebay

Well I will be using the Vostroyan line models, which I think explains why I am including ''sniper units.'' There aren't a lot of flavors with Vostroyans thats why I would like to use their sniper models. The commander from their command squad comes with a powerfist. (Not that I am worried about WYSIWYG tbh. I am not planning to participate in tournaments.)

I already found a recaster that provides pretty good copies, its just the carapace edges that are thinner at places but aside that its hard to distinquish them from the real deal (Got 2 real boxes of Vostroyans that I could pickup from a Dutch site to use as comparison material)

Its a sad thing GW doesn't support this model line anymore, I contacted them through mail and inquired if they are going to do a 2018 event of made to order again otherwise I would approach a recaster *jab jab*. Of course their best answer was: Sign up for the newsletter. Its a shame, I think the Vostroyan line is one of the best ones together with Krieg (ya know, the german named dudes with French WW1 outfits which few seem to realize) I don't get it why they never expanded further with the model line. If krieg gets their horses, then where is our ice bear cavalery unit? =(