With the Company of the Grey

Wulf Vengis

These little rascals arrived today.

med_gallery_33718_6703_36645.jpg

My thanks to MINDTAKER MINIATURES over on EBay, you guys are great.

Now once there's some nice weather I'll start priming up the growing mountain of miniatures I've got stashed in the corner. If i pretend hard enough it's almost like i can't hear it screaming to me...

It's occurring to me as i cook dinner, that these old pewter Wulfen have a saga that is about 19 years old.

I can see they've been stripped of paint at least once, and i can't help but wonder what colors might they have worn in any of their possible past lives?

How many battlefields they must have seen.

What foes might they have stalked?

What tally might they have reaped?

What losses they must have suffered and what horrors they've witnessed.

So many stories, known only to their cold grey eyes.

Sagas untold, as memories of white metal.

Hrærek's pack moved down the corridor at full speed, taking up defensive positions as they neared the massive blast door at the end.

"Open it!" Hrærek barked and Karsi moved to the control panel. He punched in the code and the door slid open just wide enough for each member to squeeze through.

They took up formation around Karsi and gazed through the dark hangar bay.

"Where's the bloody landing craft?" Thengir spat.

"I don't know, it should be here, it should be right here." Karsi frantically checked his screens.

"Incoming lads, seems we're not alone." Hrærek growled as his pistol rose to meet his enemy.

The darkness around them seemed to rithe into life as it rushed forward. Chitinous claws, razor sharp fangs and spear tipped tails lashed at them from all sides.

Snorri was the first to fall, a black arrow shaped tail ripping through his armour and erupting from his chest. The tail withdrew and Snorri fell to the floor, it's owner crawling through the gap in the door, maintaining its spider-like grip.

"We'll never hold them here. Push forward, we can still reach the lift!" Hrærek ordered.

As one the pack moved into the dark. Each turning and firing in controlled bursts as they move forward.

Arngeir reloading and turning to fire over Thengir's shoulder.

Thengir stopping briefly to fire forward into the fanged maw leaping for Hrærek.

Hrærek's face, illuminated by the muzzle flash of his bolt pistol as he shoulders through the faceless dark before him.

Karsi pulling open the lift gates as the pack rushes to provide covering fire.

With the gates open Arngeir and Thengir rush inside. Hrærek shoves Karsi in behind them before leaping in and slamming the gates shut again. Karsi punches the controls and the lift begins moving upwards.

The pack exchange glances, catching their breath as the lift climbs. Arngeir drops his spent bolter to the floor and draws his pistol. Hrærek gives him an extra pistol magazine and reloads his bolter.

"The only ship left planet-side is that inquisitors landing craft." Karsi informs them.

A thump and a hiss from the ceiling of the lift draws their attention upwards.

"Lads," Hrærek whispers, "we're not going to get off this rock".

Another thump and more hissing interrupts the pack leader.

"Nor can we stop our foe. The inquisitor won't jeopardize his investigation by calling for aid."

Another thump, this time followed by the sound of claws ripping into metal. Hrærek stops the lift.

"Thengir, do you know what that means?"

Another thump, then two more.

"This planet falls unless i get to that ship and send a signal for aid."

Hrærek grins and pulls open the lift gate and Thengir dashes into the corridor beyond disappearing around a corner. He slams the gate closed again.

The ceiling peels open like the maw of some great beast and pouring forth like a waterfall of night the beasts rush into the lift.

Thengir hears the distant rapport of bolterfire grow fainter and falling silent before a massive explosion roars behind him. He utters a prayer to Russ and pushes on.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

Ok, so i don't like the head on Lopt, nor do i like the primaris heads in the prophecy box. So i splurged a bit... I got myself some forgeworld heads (the ones marked "GW 5" and "GW 4" to be precise) a pack of wulfen heads from Spellcrow, talons of morkai box, forgeworld pauldrons (marked "GW 6") and grey slayer huscarl upgrade (marked "GW 1"). I can't rip pics from eBay apparently so I'll wait for these to arrive before i show off too much. Also I'll await arrival before i mention seller names on here in case i have a bad experience.

So I'll be lopping off Lopts head when these bits arrive to swap out for a better one. I may however continue painting/building the prophecy Incursors, just without heads for the time being.

Further updates to come.

EDIT: There's a few other things on their way but... Well, you'll see eventually.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

Spent the day priming up some Space Wolves stuff in the backyard whilst listening to HEILUNG and burning the piles of winter sticks and leaves.

The classic Wulfen and Wolf Priest Sternhammer

med_gallery_33718_6703_125789.jpg

Some Forgeworld Space Wolves bits

med_gallery_33718_6703_111407.jpg

Haldor Icepelt

med_gallery_33718_6703_416570.jpg

Some Spellcrow bits (also a fully magnetized Chapter House Razorback weapon mount)

med_gallery_33718_6703_542313.jpg

The Chapter House weapon mount is terribly ugly once completed I will be doing by Kromlech most likely to upgrade that in the future.

Tooth and Claw box set

med_gallery_33718_6703_80318.jpg

med_gallery_33718_6703_691997.jpg

I like having a backlog of primed material. It means i don't have to worry about priming on a rainy day.

EDIT: There's more to come in the near future...

Edited by Wulf Vengis

I know what i want for Christmas from GW, it would single handedly make a very happy hunter.

The one thing i would like more than anything else they might produce is a Primaris Wolf Priest, with wolf skull helm.

That Is all.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

++ Personal Notes of Inquisitor Malak ++

++ Begin Playback ++

I am in the early stages of this investigation but have learned much of this "Grey Company". I transcribe here what information I believe to be factual. I will add to or correct this information as my investigation continues.

In the early parts of M41 a Wolf Lord claiming to be the commander of the sixth company (Sesc Foruneyti) or "Damage Company" (Meitha Foruneyti), returned to Fenris for resupply after an absence of almost 5,000 years, (due to warp-time dilation). After rigorous testing the company was deemed to be free of any chaotic taint and was to be absorbed back into the chapter to reinforce other great companies.

The warriors of Meitha Foruneyti felt this to be a grievous and tragic dishonor to their lengthy service and great sacrifices. Thus the Wolf Lord took what is called the Grareigr (Grey-oath).

This oath would sever the heraldry of whosoever swore it from the greater chapter and he would find himself exiled from Fenris. This exile could only be lifted by the reuniting call of the return of Leman Russ himself.

The Wolf Lord was however permitted to resupply and reinforce his soldiers, but could only recruit soldiers willing to also take the Grareigr. Many Lone Wolves fell in line with the Wolf Lord immediately, as did several Grey Hunters and Bloodclaws packs and a handful of Wolf Guard veterans.

A pair of Wolf Priests opted to take the oath to ensure the ongoing purity of the company, likewise a Rune Priest undertook the oath to guide the company and record its deeds.

To the surprise of many, including Logan Grimnar himself, a number of the chapters Dreadnoughts chose to also take the Grareigr, which prompted an Iron Priest, his apprentice and the entirety of their forge-thralls to swear the oath as well.

The company returned to their battle barge "the Munin" and returned to the sea of stars.

++ End Playback ++

Edited by Wulf Vengis

I'm going to take a moment to list the sites/stores/individuals that I've purchased/received items from recently.

Some of these are eBay sellers and some are well known storefronts, either way I had nothing but good experiences with them.

So a thank you and warm recommendation to the following:

Tista Minis

Mindtaker Miniatures

The Mini Broker

Noble Knight

Kromlech

Scibor

Spellcrow

Lotsotreasures

WargearWorkshop2

Warex-mini

NewWorldGamingllc

Habit_Style

Olyvesattic

Caseyl4200

Dzur2003

Miniwarbits

Benderschweiz

Webway Miniatures

ChaosOrc

United_retail

Promano-us

Geovo-19

Baitrunner08

JB40k15

Kingofthieves

Fuchi

Evgre1391-thaahlww

Last.Call.Auction

Suncity Games

I have an idea involving a land raider that's replaced its side sponsons with a manned turret in order to increase its transport capacity. I was hoping to get a classic Razorback turret but haven't had any luck. Fortunately the invader has a similar turret, although the mounting ring is different. Hopefully i can make this work however I'm going to keep looking for an old Razorback turret, or maybe someone has one they'd be willing to part with?

Anyways i saw something by McGibs and decided that this land raider may have to be built "backwards".

For reference:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/334787-landraider-conversion-reverse-raider/

I spent today outside with a lot of primer...

In black i sprayed the following:

Land Raider

Land Raider Crusader

FW SW Contemptor Dreadnought

Contemptor Claw

Contemptor Assault Cannon

SW Ven/Shield Dreadnought ×2

Hounds of Morkai

Talon of Morkai (minus the Wulfen)

Wolf Guard Terminators

Kromlech SW Heads

Kromlech SW Primaris Plasma Guns

Kromlech Lascannon w/twin plasmaguns

Kromlech twin assault cannon

Spellcrow SW LR Doors

Spellcrow SW Rhino Doors & Top Hatches

Spellcrow SW Engine Armor

Spellcrow SW Combi-weapons

Spellcrow SW Heads

Spellcrow SW shoulder shields

Wargame Exclusive Wolf Lord

Artel W Ravenous Assassin (counts as Eversor)

Artel W Big Bad Mutant

Indomitus Marines

Then in grey i also sprayed these:

Today i primed the following items in AP Uniform Grey:

Wargame Exclusive Wulfen Lord

Kromlech SW Primaris bodies ×5

Wulfen (box)

Wulfen (Talon of Morkai)

Murderfang

Wulfen Dreadnought

This was an incomplete list. The complete list is in the "today in the hobby i..." thread.

Sorry if this has been addressed already.   How are you getting the weathered look on the armour? are you drybrushing the lighter grey over a darker under coat?

@Beef: It's just Army Painter black rattle can primer with the Army Painter Ash Grey somewhat dry brushed over. I mentioned before having kind of stumbled upon the technique and liking it so going with it.

EDIT: Added the name of the Grey Paint.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know, i THINK it looks better this way...

med_gallery_33718_16888_185003.jpg

med_gallery_33718_16888_161637.jpg

I picked up the model for the weapon turret. I've got a few weird ideas rolling around. I've already checked some combinations on a Razorback (pics later) but if i can't make it work i figured i could see what can be done with this...thing. On its own it just looks...sigh.