With the Company of the Grey

Wulf Vengis

Thought I'd show off a few of the other Dreadnoughts who need minimal repairs/touch-ups.

Bjartr Ljos-verpa (leoss-wayrpa; caster of burning light), armed with twin-linked lascannon and a missile launcher.

med_gallery_33718_6703_485225.jpg

Bjorn the Fell-handed; classic metal, armed with assault cannon and heavy flamer. Banner pole is in a caring case, gotta find that.

med_gallery_33718_6703_319777.jpg

Hr Edited by Wulf Vengis

Who's that Bloodclaw?

Bloodclaw Pack Leader Sturm

med_gallery_33718_6703_253085.jpg

Lykos

med_gallery_33718_6703_137801.jpg

Sven

med_gallery_33718_6703_276992.jpg

Toki

med_gallery_33718_6703_59988.jpg

Ulf

med_gallery_33718_6703_346438.jpg

Bodvar

med_gallery_33718_6703_218259.jpg

Wulf

med_gallery_33718_6703_273045.jpg

Sigfryd

med_gallery_33718_6703_36317.jpg

Osrik

med_gallery_33718_6703_230060.jpg

Kellum

med_gallery_33718_6703_76938.jpg

Dag

med_gallery_33718_6703_67112.jpg

Oren

med_gallery_33718_6703_294146.jpg

Svengar

med_gallery_33718_6703_128526.jpg

Mykal

med_gallery_33718_6703_7890.jpg

Erik

med_gallery_33718_6703_12982.jpg

EDIT: Note there's still plenty of touch-ups and detail work as well as some washes to apply yet.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

Good job on the Dreadnoughts and the Blood Claws. Considering Bodvar's hairstyle resembles that of the Marvel Comics character Wolverine, I couldn't help but think he should bear the name "Logan" along with matched wolf claws. Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Blood spattered across his chestplate as another heretic fell to the bite of his chainsword. He paused for a moment to take in his surroundings, and to experiance the vast array of input flowing through his new bodies senses.

All around him bloody hand to hand combat was breaking out as the Imperial forces smashed into the enemy lines. The visibility was rapidly diminishing in the growing clouds of dust and smoke, but his heightened senses more than made up for the poor visibilty. He could hear and smell each enemy around him and he could feel the presence of his packmates around him. He didnt understand how but it was almost as if he could see it all in his minds eye as they beat back the traitor guardsmen. He was faster now, and stronger too. But, most of all he felt invincible.

He side-stepped the guardsmans clumsy attack and backhanded the man with his pistol. The bones in his face shattered and he collapsed in a heap. Wulf stepped over the fallen foe and eviscerated another.

'This is what is to be a true warrior', he thought as the last of the enemy unit fell dead. He raised his chainsword high and howled for all he was worth, and his blood claw brothers joined him before chasing off after their next objective.

med_gallery_33718_6703_405107.jpg

med_gallery_33718_6703_220070.jpg

With the completion of Bloodclaw pack Blackfang, I'm going to head into another little mini project.

I've got a little genestealer cult thing in mind...

Also if you want to see some of my other works, you can check out my slow Craftworld refurbishment over here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/359491-craftworld-malushey/?p=5415291&do=findComment&comment=5415291

Or you can see my gallery here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/member/33718-wulf-vengis/

Edited by Wulf Vengis

So I've been debating with myself about this following post as its not integral to the build, but here goes.

The models I've been painting and building over the last year have been put together following house rules that I've been working on to get myself and some friends playing again.

We're not totally invested in keeping with 8th/9th but There are aspects we've found agreeable and would like to reverse engineer into something closer to the 3rd-5th era.

So, for your poking and jeering I present the Bloodclaws of Grey Company:

BLOODCLAWS PACK 150pts-250pts

Bloodclaw

M/WS/BS/S/T/W/A/Ld/Sv

6"/3+/4+/4/4/2/1/7/3+

Bloodclaw Pack Leader

M/WS/BS/S/T/W/A/Ld/Sv

6"/3+/4+/4/4/2/2/7/3+

Unit Type

Astartes, Bloodclaws, Imperium, Infantry, Space Wolves, Troops

Unit Composition

1 Blood Claw Pack Leader

4-14 Blood Claws

0-1 Wolf Guard Pack Leader OR Wolf Guard Terminator Pack Leader

Wargear

The Blood Claw Pack Leader and Blood Claws are equipped with the following: Astartes chainsword, bolt pistol, frag and krak grenades.

Options

The Bloodclaw pack leader may replace his Astartes chainsword with one of the following: Power Axe, Power Fist, or Power Sword.

The Bloodclaw pack leader may replace his bolt pistol with a Plasma Pistol.

One Bloodclaw may replace his bolt pistol with a plasma pistol.

One Bloodclaw may replace his bolt pistol with one of the following: Flamer, Meltagun, or Plasmagun.

10 Bloodclaws: One Bloodclaw may replace his Astartes chainsword with one of the following: Power Axe, Power Fist, or Power Sword.

15 bloodclaws: One additional Bloodclaw may replace his Astartes chainsword with one of the following: Power Axe, Power Fist, or Power Sword.

Dedicated Transport

This pack may be accompanied by one of the following Dedicated Transport vehicles: Drop Pod, Rhino, or Razorback.

This pack may be accompanied by a secondary transport vehicle if it numbers more than ten models.

Special Rules

Acute Senses: A unit with this special rule can see twice as far in the dark. Multiply their Night Fighting results by two (2d6x2+3).

Units with this special rule may reroll failed attack rolls when shooting at invisible units within 12inches.

Furthermore a unit benefiting from this rule rerolls missed attack rolls in melee combat against an invisible opponent.

Angels of Death: When disembarking from a transport that has moved, this unit may choose one of the following:

The unit may move and fire ranged weapons normally, but cannot assault enemy units this turn.

OR

This unit may move and assault normally, but cannot fire ranged weapons this turn.

Berserk Charge: This rule replaces Shock Assault. If this unit successfully charges an enemy unit each Bloodclaw receives +2 to his Attacks characteristic until the end of the turn.

Combat Squads: If this unit numbers 10 or more models, it may be deployed as 2 units of no fewer than 5 models.

Headstrong: If this unit does not contain a Wolf Guard Pack Leader or an Independent Character it loses Objective Secured, furthermore, if there are any enemy units in assault range it must attempt to charge at least one of them.

Know No Fear: Whenever this unit takes a morale test, you can re-roll the dice one time, keeping the second roll.

Objective Secured: This unit is scoring when holding an objective.

Shock Assault: If this unit makes a charge move, is charged or performs a Heroic Intervention, add 1 to the Attacks characteristic of models in this unit until the end of the turn.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

• 2 months later...

My 7 year old son and I played a few turns of a very simplified version of the game today before my daughter arrived and we had to clean it up.

I used my intercessors and infiltrators as 2 packs of 5 grey hunters and my son used the xeno-stealers.

End of turn 1

med_gallery_33718_17122_509862.jpg

Northwest Xenos

med_gallery_33718_17122_246195.jpg

Northeast Hunters

med_gallery_33718_17122_168676.jpg

Southwest Xenos

med_gallery_33718_17122_165732.jpg

Southeast Hunters

med_gallery_33718_17122_364785.jpg

I managed to gun down 6 stealers on turn 2 while they in turn wounded one hunter in the assault.

I wasn't able to snap any photos of the end of turn 2. We had some fun and hopefully we can play a few more turns in the near future.

Quick thought: I hate using primer that isn't black. However the Army Painter paint named "Uniform Grey" does NOT match the Army Painters spray primer of the same name. In fact the spray primer comes out almost identical to the old GW "Codex Grey", (almost identical to GWs plastic sprue color), whilst the brush on paint matches the old GW "Shadow Grey", (which is a muted bluish color).

I absolutely loathe this difference between the two, especially when AP promotes the "Uniform Grey" spray as matching the "Uniform Grey" brush on bottle.

To quote a horse: "no sir, I don't like it".

Emperor preserve, I'm gonna be chasing "touch-ups" on these grey primed models for at least one, if not several eternities.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

And Grey Hunters from the home table.

Grey Hunters PACK

Grey Hunter

M/WS/BS/S/T/W/A/Ld/Sv

6"/3+/3+/4/4/2/1/7/3+

Grey Hunter Pack Leader

M/WS/BS/S/T/W/A/Ld/Sv

6"/3+/3+/4/4/2/2/7/3+

Unit Type

Astartes, Imperium, Infantry, Space Wolves, Troops

Unit Composition

1 Grey Hunter Pack Leader

4-9 Grey Hunters

Wargear

The Grey Hunter Pack Leader and Grey Hunters are equipped with the following:

Astartes Chainsword, Boltgun, Bolt Pistol, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Power Armor.

Wargear Options

The Grey Hunter Pack Leader may replace his Astartes Chainsword With one of the following: Power Axe, Power Fist or a Power Sword.

The Grey Hunter Pack Leader may replace his bolt pistol with a Plasma Pistol.

One Grey Hunter may take a Wolf Standard.

One Grey Hunter may replace his bolt pistol with a Plasma Pistol.

One Grey Hunter may replace his boltgun with one of the following:

Flamer

Meltagun

Plasma Gun

If there are 10 grey hunters in this pack a second grey hunter may replace his Boltgun with one of the following: Flamer, Meltagun or a Plasma Gun.

One Grey Hunter may replace his astartes chainsword with one of the following:

Power Axe

Power Fist

Power Sword

Dedicated Transport

This pack may be accompanied by one of the following Dedicated Transport vehicles: Drop Pod, Rhino, or Razorback.

This pack may be accompanied by a secondary transport vehicle if it numbers more than ten models.

Special Rules

Acute Senses: A unit with this special rule can see twice as far in the dark. Multiply their Night Fighting results by two (2d6x2+BS).

Units with this special rule may also reroll all failed to hit rolls when shooting at an invisible unit IF the target unit is no more than 12 inches away.

Furthermore a unit benefiting from this rule rerolls all to hit rolls in melee combat against an invisible opponent.

Angels of Death: When disembarking from a transport that has moved, this unit may choose one of the following:

The unit may move and fire ranged weapons normally, but cannot assault enemy units this turn.

OR

This unit may move and assault normally, but cannot fire ranged weapons this turn.

Bolter Discipline: Models with this rule firing Rapid Fire BOLT weapons make double the number of attacks if ANY of the following apply:

The firing model’s target is within half the weapon’s maximum range.

The firing model is INFANTRY and every model in its unit remained stationary during this turns Movement phase.

The firing model is a TERMINATOR, BIKER, CENTURION or DREADNOUGHT.

For the purposes of this ability, the following are considered Rapid Fire

Bolt Weapons:

Bolt Rifle

Boltgun

Combi-Bolter

Hurricane Bolter

Marksman Bolt Carbine

Storm Bolter

Twin Boltgun

Combat Squads: If this unit numbers 10 or more models, it may be deployed as 2 units of no fewer than 5 models.

Know No Fear: Whenever this unit takes a morale test, you can re-roll the dice one time, keeping the second roll.

Objective Secured: This unit is scoring when holding an objective.

Shock Assault: If this unit makes a charge move, is charged or performs a Heroic Intervention, add 1 to the Attacks characteristic of models in this unit until the end of the turn.

Wolf Standard: Space Wolves units you control within 12 inches of a Wolf Standard reroll failed Morale checks.

• 2 weeks later...

A boy stands in a stone archway. His silhouette obscured in the shadows provided by the ancient fir trees.

On the floor within the crumbling stone sanctuary another form stirs in a fitful restless sleep. With a hushed cry the form sits upright. He gulps in air and wipes sweat from his face.

"You were dreaming again." It was more a statement than a question.

"The wolf-skull monster again." The awoken boy says with a sigh.

"Birthed by the thunderbird on the hilltop.

Shadowed in smoke and silhouetted by fire.

His hunters stalk through the bodies.

They are taking our kin." He rubs his eyes, trying to wipe the images from his mind.

The first boy turns in the doorway to look inside.

"For what purpose brother?" He asks.

"I… I can't tell.

There are some who fight, try to resist, to avenge.

Their threads are cut." He looks up at the arch and the silhouette within.

"Our brother returns."

The first boy turns back to the overgrown path and peers into the darkness there before stepping back into building out of the door.

Another boy moves through the dark towards the old building. He is dragging a small over laden sled, on its bed a small pile of cloth bundles. He brings the sled into the protective arches of the building.

"I told you I could bring weapons." The newcomer exclaims.

"You bring blood! I feel it." The awoken youth proclaims climbing to his feet.

"Well met brother. Were you seen?" The first boy greets the newcomer.

"No. Aye, I brought blood. They are but men. And women. In armour." The third boy callously states.

He proceeds to remove a cloth bundle from the top of the pile and with a flick it unfolds and a bloodied head drops to the floor with a thup.

"Their armour is god-given, it bears the markings of the Wolf King of myth. Our blades could never pierce it. But like all armour it must move, it must bend, as the wearer."

The third boy touches his knee, wrist, elbow and finally his neck.

"They die like any foe when put to the blade."

The first boy lifts a long blade, gazing intently at its edge.

"They WILL die, like any other foe, or we will meet our people in the next life."

Aggni Blondmane, Champion of the Grey

med_gallery_33718_6703_292675.jpg

med_gallery_33718_6703_501588.jpg

med_gallery_33718_6703_161587.jpg

med_gallery_33718_6703_377315.jpg

med_gallery_33718_6703_123123.jpg

"His name was Aggni Blondmane. The gilded wolf, champion of the Grey. He took the fang of Galfahgh'nn the ice-drake as his blade. The fiery razor-teeth of a hatchling hel-wraith, lined the smile of his axe. His fury was legendary and his wrath marked the death of many a foe. His weapons never rested and his horn was never dry."

Edited by Wulf Vengis

• 3 weeks later...