Converting Dark Imperium Primaris Into Space Wolves?

One idea I've had for my Dark Imperium Primaris marines is to convert them into Space Wolves. Ever since I've played Sanctus Reach I've liked the Space Wolves for their unit designs, unique units, melee heavy playstyle (I love RIP AND TEAR armies like Orks and Death Guard), and I feel they will be a good route. I'm not sure if you can convert Primaris to Space Wolves, but what boxsets would be a good in the right direction? Is the start collecting space wolves boxsets worth it? 

it's been .. awhile since I looked at the Dark Imperium easy-build Primaris - but it depends on how heavy you want to go with the wolfishness. From memory, the shoulder pads are moulded onto the arms, so you're not going to be able to swap them for others - but that's not really a big problem. 

The heads tend to be separate and are easily swappable - although you *might* Have to trim  down the base of the neck if you're using pre-Primaris [i.e. Space Wolf Pack, Deathwatch, Sternguard, etc.] heads. It's not at all difficult, just removing literally a milimeter or two of the plastic at the bottom of the ball .. and you could probably get away with not even bothering. Bare heads are easiest, some helms [the Mk.VI for instance] may require a llittle more careful positioning due to the collars on Mk.X armour

Accessorizing (and we *really* need to come up with a better term for that) will also be pretty easy. You can put wolf-tail talismans or whatever in all the usual places; and the pretty cool sheathed blades from the Space Wolf Pack sprues should be fittable as well. Stuff that you *can't* immediately use on the Dark Imperium primaris , like them shoulder pads etc. [and those torso-front blade/grenade arrangements], you can still probably clip off the runic talismans to apply to the primaris. 

But yeah - it's pretty straightforward. 

In terms of what would help - other than the aforementioned Space Wolves Pack box , the Space Wolves Primaris sprue might be one, for reasons that ought be obvious. 

The *old* Start Collecting Space Wolves box isn't bad at all for getting you a whole lot of bitz that you can use in the above aforementioned manner, and being if memory serves, reasonably priced to boot - although I'm suspecting you mean either th more recent Start Collecting Primaris Space Wolves box or the more recent still Space Wolves Combat Patrol ? In which case ... I'm not so sure, others will have to weigh in on that. 

Converting the monopose Marines to Wolves is quite a fun little modelling project. A lot depends on how wolfy you want them to look. If you are happy with just keeping it simple then it it very easy. A head-swap on the searg, a chainsword and few wolf tails work a treat. I din't want to overdo it and spoil the "tacticool" look of the new Intercessors but I am pretty pleased with how they came out.

med_gallery_82363_15236_326797.jpg

med_gallery_82363_15236_117277.jpg

gallery_82363_15236_609763.jpg

Emboldened by my results, I went for something a bit more dramatic for the Bladeguard Vets from Indomitus. They look more wolfed up although each model only has 4 wolfy elements added.

med_gallery_82363_15236_230231.jpg

med_gallery_82363_15236_142277.jpg