Request for assistance

Brother Ramael

So, I have a friend who, having played in the past Mordheim and Space Hulk and being playing now Space Hulk Deathwing ( the videogame), is starting to manifest interest in the lore of 40k and is asking me about what to read about it.

Since I desire his financial ruin, I am thinking to reeling him in into the hobby.

The problem is, I am new to the Black Library myself, so I'd need suggestion for a book that is both well written and does a good job at introducing the setting ( I was thinking at the HH series but as I said my knowledge about the Black Library is minimal).

Thanks all!

Edited by Brother Ramael

"Since I desire his financial ruin, I am thinking to reeling him in into the hobby."

Hahahahahaah.

I don't know that this is the best place to jump in but when you are interested in the Horus Heresy this is a help link to what to read and what order.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Horus_Heresy

Eisenhorn. Start with Eisenhorn.

Apart from that, I'd advise against the Heresy, and instead go with faction-trilogies that have been Omnibus'd instead, depending on what factions you're interested in. That, or Warhammer Crime if you want the domestic side of things.

If you want a generally fresh start into the current post-8th edition setting, The Emperor's Legion: Watchers of the Throne, Vaults of Terra: The Carrion Throne and then the currently running Dawn of Fire series, peaking in the soon to be re-released (and revised) Dark Imperium should do the trick.

Since I desire his financial ruin, I am thinking to reeling him in into the hobby.

The problem is, I am new to the Black Library myself, so I'd need suggestion for a book that is both well written and does a good job at introducing the setting ( I was thinking at the HH series but as I said my knowledge about the Black Library is minimal).

:biggrin.:

Brother Ramael, I humbly but honestly suggest this, in addition to any other good recommendations in this thread: The Regimental Standard

• It's free, no up front purchase required
  • Short articles, minimal reading efforts required
  • It's both fun and funny, which is the end goal I think

Because it seems like the goal here isn't lore per se, it's to draw him into the setting of 40k.  In that regard for max returns minimal investment, The Regimental Standard is a great resource for that, because your friend can imagine himself in that setting, getting the in-jokes, thinking up army projects just to be part of that setting.  The Regimental Standard is all lies...it's propaganda...and it's because rather than despite of that it's the most accurate portrayal of how the Imperium works.

I'm also thinking of this friend asking you.  I don't know him or you, but I imagine he doesn't just think of you as the Warhammer guy, he thinks of you as his friend who's pretty funny.  I've seen your previous posts, speaking to "Caliban Green Aficionados" like somewhere out there there's this fancy espresso machine where George Clooney can pop in a bottle of Contrast and out comes a perfectly painted Dark Angel...then he lifts it up by the base and does that sniffing thing he does.  Your friend might expect an unconventional answer from you.

That's not to say that this is the best choice, but because it's so light on commitment, you can also suggest The Regimental Standard in addition to the other great novels here.  You'd be like, "I asked around, this <insert novel title here> is the bee's knees...but there's this other silly thing called The Regimental Standard you can check out for free right now."

I'd support the Cain books, too. They're out in three omnibus volumes, and get you around quite a bit. They're a lot more humorous in tone than usual 40k fare, though.

Also, if you enjoy Space Hulk, I'd recommend Death of Integrity by Guy Haley. It involves two distinct Chapters, AdMech and Genestealers. There's also Sin of Damnation, the novella tie-in to the current edition of the board game, which should be available for a fiver.