Sternguard Tactics + Loadout + Thoughts

WARMASTER_

Since they’ve gained the extra W and now have access to dirt cheap combi weapons or free special issue bolters I’m curious to peoples thoughts on the unit??

I’m currently building 5 for a crusade force and I’m undecided on loadout - (I’m super narrative driven but I still like my toys to do something on the table)

Edited by BladeOfVengeance

The removal of their +1 to wound stratagem removed the single best rationale for not taking heavy/special weapons on them.  That being said, I think Company Veterans are better off as special weapon carriers; they can also take stormshields or special CCWs, improving either durability or versatility.  I'd keep them cheapish and rely on the special issue bolters.  Arrive via pod or reserves when Tactical Doctrine is active and cut loose with high-AP bolt rounds.

I totally agree with that - the lack of Strategum support hurts them badly which is a crying shame. Not sure why they cut it really.

Company Veterans do it better at 5 or less. If you want to spam combi weapons more than 10, perhaps 8 jumping put of a Drop Pod or Rhino, then they're not bad.

Tactically speaking, 8 of them with Combi-plasma jumping out of a Rhino with a Chaplain who uses Commanding Oratory for Catechism of Fire can result in a lot of dangerous fire on a target of your choice. Add a Captain to reroll 1s and you have a dangerous combination.

16 shots at S8 and D2 and wounding even T7 targets on a 2+ will be horrific.

Of course, there are plenty of other combinations in the Codex so I don't know how competitive this is but it has potential.

Alternatively use Combi-Grav and you have no chance of killing yourself but less killing power.

Edited by Captain Idaho

Combi-plas does seem like the best option. Although not quite as much firepower as Hellblasters, they are significantly cheaper, take an Elite slot rather than a Heavy and can fit in a cheap Drop Pod for T1 deployment.

Plain bolter dudes suffer in comparison to Intercessors. Intercessors lose one point of AP but gain ObjSec and fill a Troop slot. I feel that the special loadouts are the only thing that make Sternguard worthwhile and even then, Company Vets are better unless you want a large squad.

Edited by Karhedron

The 5 man combi plasma comes in at 40 points less than Hellblasters which seems like a steal and even with a drop pod only 30 points more, I agree they’re very tempting

Intercessors don’t gain an extra attack both are 2 base 3 on Sergeant, but loosing ObSec is a big blow as you say

I’m not really struggling for slots though as it’s crusade. I’m running a fluffy vanguard 1st company force, so having a cheap intercessor sub might be very useful