Crusade - warlord dependent items

dice4thedicegod

About to move up from 50PL to 100PL and had a question as I expand the roster...

Warlords in crusade are kinda set per game right? So what happens with adding relics to a datasheet in your roster that require you to have a warlord of a certain faction/type?

Example, I have been playing slaaneshi daemons, with an exalted keeper warlord and i have a whip of agony (relic only available if you have a slaanesh daemon warlord). Suppose I was thinking of adding deathguard to my crusade force ... I assume that I can’t use any plague company relics because they need a warlord of that plague company to unlock? And my crusade warlord is ‘locked’ by the exalted daemon relic?

Anyone know how it works?

I think that you can have the relics on the roster, but only use them in battles that meet the requirements for their use.

So your roster might have 5 HQ's in it; different HQ's will act as warlords in different battles according to your story. In the battles where your Exalted Keeper is the Warlord, bring an use the relic. In battles where another HQ is the Warlord, the relic stays home at the base.

Definitely a good question though- very open to interpretation. 

About to move up from 50PL to 100PL and had a question as I expand the roster...

Warlords in crusade are kinda set per game right? So what happens with adding relics to a datasheet in your roster that require you to have a warlord of a certain faction/type?

Example, I have been playing slaaneshi daemons, with an exalted keeper warlord and i have a whip of agony (relic only available if you have a slaanesh daemon warlord). Suppose I was thinking of adding deathguard to my crusade force ... I assume that I can’t use any plague company relics because they need a warlord of that plague company to unlock? And my crusade warlord is ‘locked’ by the exalted daemon relic?

Anyone know how it works?

My (non expert) answer would be You could pay RP to change the loadout of the keeper so he no longer has the whip/relic and thus no longer has to be the warlord. I’m not sure if that’s correct but seems reasonable.

The warlord in crusade (and matched play) must be the character with the highest leadership (choose if draw) unless another rule overrides that, just to bear that in mind for determining which model is your warlord for unlocking this stuff.

Wow- never saw that rule before, but just checked and there it was. What an unnecessary restriction; glad I only play with friends and family, because that rule is gone!

The person who should lead a battle should be the person with the most relevant experience to the battle, not the one who's got the most authority. I mean if you're the supreme commander of a group of desert fighters who find themselves in a jungle, and there's a lowly lieutenant who is actually native to the jungle you're fighting in who knows that area and that enemy like the back of his hand, I think you lose more troops in the pissing contest about authority than you do by sayin "Hey Lieutenant Fred, you wanna take this one?"

Not sure how often it'll come up- some times I solve those problems by just bring certain units to a battle and not others (which is how I proposed solving OP's issue). The way I see it, army restrictions apply to armies, not rosters. The leader of your Crusade (if you even have one) will not be the leader of every battle the Crusade fights. The leader of your Crusade may not even be present at every battle your crusade fights.

Note: Just checked. Yeah, it's gonna come up a lot- both a canoness and a watch Master are LD 9. Most Inquisitors are LD 10. I'll be using a lot of Inquisitors.

Kinda funny: Hey, I'm an Imperial Agent, so technically speaking, if I just tag along I'm not even an HQ choice... But I still have to be the warlord, eh?

The warlord in crusade (and matched play) must be the character with the highest leadership (choose if draw) unless another rule overrides that, just to bear that in mind for determining which model is your warlord for unlocking this stuff.

Where is this rule listed?

Edit: I can only see this rule in Crusade, not Matched Play. Matched Play says to refer to pg 238 which just says to pick one.

Edited by Nemesor Tyriks

I always played it that any character can take any relic in Crusade, as you pay RP for it, and the normal restrictions dont apply.

Perhaps this is something new codexes will change? Not aware of any similar restrictions in newer ones?

The difference I think lies in relics only being purchasable in crusade through the requisition, not via stratagems? I'd need to look closely at the book however.

I think this is it.

Page 314-315 states that the only way to purchase a relic is via the requisition. It also clarifies that "you do not automatically get to give a relic to one character in your army."

Accordingly the standard wording in the codexes about relics doesn't apply. All you do, when you add a character to your roster, or a character gains a rank, is purchase a relic requisition, the only restriction appears to be that it has to be a "relic it can have and cannot be one which replaces an upgraded relic."

I don't think the warlord restriction can apply to Crusade relics, because the relics are allocated on the order of battle, and you don't have a 'Warlord' at the point at which you compile that, because you don't gain a Warlord until you muster your Army FROM the order of battle.

Therefore, I would play it that your exalted Daemon has the whip of agony, at all times. You can't change the relic without removing the unit from your roster altogether, and starting from scratch. That's just that unit's relic.

However, you can also give any Death Guard characters you add to the roster, any relic from their codex.

I think this is it.

Page 314-315 states that the only way to purchase a relic is via the requisition. It also clarifies that "you do not automatically get to give a relic to one character in your army."

Accordingly the standard wording in the codexes about relics doesn't apply. All you do, when you add a character to your roster, or a character gains a rank, is purchase a relic requisition, the only restriction appears to be that it has to be a "relic it can have and cannot be one which replaces an upgraded relic."

I don't think the warlord restriction can apply to Crusade relics, because the relics are allocated on the order of battle, and you don't have a 'Warlord' at the point at which you compile that, because you don't gain a Warlord until you muster your Army FROM the order of battle.

Therefore, I would play it that your exalted Daemon has the whip of agony, at all times. You can't change the relic without removing the unit from your roster altogether, and starting from scratch. That's just that unit's relic.

However, you can also give any Death Guard characters you add to the roster, any relic from their codex.

That seems reasonable and I hope it’s the way it works/is supposed to work!