Why are there no imperial/chaos knights vs other big stuff

Axineton

Battles or games out there? 

I’ve been looking at the the Tau Stormsurge and thinking it’s a great model and then I got thinking how come we only see knights vs knights and not knights vs stormsurges or eldar wraithknights or ork stompa? Do the nids have something knight sized? I’d love to see knights vs some of these big guys on the tabletop. I know there’s no specific armies for these I’ve mentioned but it would be cool. 

Battles or games out there? 

I’ve been looking at the the Tau Stormsurge and thinking it’s a great model and then I got thinking how come we only see knights vs knights and not knights vs stormsurges or eldar wraithknights or ork stompa? Do the nids have something knight sized? I’d love to see knights vs some of these big guys on the tabletop. I know there’s no specific armies for these I’ve mentioned but it would be cool. 

Nids have the dimachaeron, and the heirodule. They are big monsters but are more squishy (18 wounds and worse saves) and more specialized than a knight. The dimachaeron can run around really fast and ignore terrain, but it wants to chow down on infantry first, otherwise it doesn't have an invuln save. 

Heirodules are ok, but they are not knights. You have to choose to be shooty or slashy, and they don't have the great back up weapon offered by the knight's feet. Even a scythed heirodule only rolls 6 attacks. They are high damage attacks, but it lacks the volume necessary to put down hordes. 

They also have the heirophant, but that creature outclasses the knights in weight category.

tldr no, nids do not have an equivalent. Their monsters are about half the cost of a knight, and for good reason.

You fight ork stompas, squigoths and chaos daemon engines in the Freeblade game. Also in DoW3 you can face off against Eldar Wraithknights. In the opening cinematic a knight carves a wraithknight in half.

In the book Damocles: Space Marine Battles knights go against the newly minted Riptides.

So there are fights versus the big xenos stuff out there. I've personally fought riptides and been destroyed by them. 

This is an intriguing idea. I'd like to look into this further; I'd need to look into all the special rules that knights (both Imperial and Chaos) have access to which allow their armies to function. Like assigning battlefield roles (who's the HQ if you've got an army that is 3-4 Riptides? Do they get a WL based CP refund for the detachment required to field them, etc).

Nids also have Bio-Titans but they aren't as strong as the strongest Imperial Titans. 

Necrons have nothing - C'tan but they aren't titanic

Eldar have a few titans but DE, Hariquins and so on don't have any

Tau have some bigger units like KX139 - Which is a super heavy but not a Titan? Although it looks big enough to be one.

Orks have a few super heavys but again they aren't exactly titans

and that is pretty much it. I wish there were more Titanic units but they are super expensive and not played with often anyways.

Aduptus Titanicus could be expanded I suppose but I don't know that it will really go beyond that.

This is an intriguing idea. I'd like to look into this further; I'd need to look into all the special rules that knights (both Imperial and Chaos) have access to which allow their armies to function. Like assigning battlefield roles (who's the HQ if you've got an army that is 3-4 Riptides? Do they get a WL based CP refund for the detachment required to field them, etc).

Knights have a detachment rule called Knight Lance, which automatically makes one knight in the detachment a character so we can have our free warlord. Also knights are fielded in Super heavy detachments only as they are all lords of war, even the little armigars.

As for fielding multiple riptides, they are Elites so that would be a vanguard detachment, just take a minor HQ. The Stormsurge is a LoW so would be in a SHD or SHA. 

Super heavy detachments cost 3 CP or 6 CP if it includes a Titanic unit. Having your WL in it refunds 3 CP.

Cool; I don't Tau, but I might Eldar someday.

So if I gave them the Knight Lance rule, they could bring a bunch of Wraith Knights in a superheavy detachment with one of the Wraith  Knights as an HQ. That would work.

Technically not needed as a super heavy detachment is a legal detachment in of it's self. In a game you would just designate one as your 'warlord'. They wouldn't get any traits/relics but you can still legally field the group.

The knight lance rule was something given to the knights to give them a free in game warlord like all the other armies because as a mono list they don't have any other unit type other than LoW. Other armies technically do have HQ units so something like that isn't really required.

As a side note Knights do have strats that will give other knights the Character keyword.  Also the knight lance rule is suspended in Crusade, only way for knights to get the character keyword/traits/relics is though said strat (and it's double the Crusade point cost too). 

In the end if you want to field a group of Wraithknights you free to do so, just give your opponent a heads up. Same goes for ork Stompas or any group of LoWs to be honest.