9th Ed. Wishlist?

Lord Robertsen

It would be nice if gw did a tank upgrade sprue with a few extras. I’m thinking sentinel multimelta options, autocannon sponsoons for the russ and also chimera turret, conversion kit to turn russ into a rapier/tank destroyer. One sprue could fit in a lot of options that would get some extra use out of a lot of the IG range.

i just wish the upgrade sprue was put back in the vehicle kits instead of them milking us for more money.

It would be nice if gw did a tank upgrade sprue with a few extras. I’m thinking sentinel multimelta options, autocannon sponsoons for the russ and also chimera turret, conversion kit to turn russ into a rapier/tank destroyer. One sprue could fit in a lot of options that would get some extra use out of a lot of the IG range.

i just wish the upgrade sprue was put back in the vehicle kits instead of them milking us for more money.

I did wonder why my Russ tanks didnt have them when the one I bought over ten years ago had one... All I wanted was Heavy Stubbers on the turrets. :'( 

Having all heavy weapons available on all russ, sentinels and hellhoumd varianta would be nice as versatility could be a nice thing.

So we can decide to have a cheap, a fast and a durable option for delivering the weapon that we need.

I did wonder why my Russ tanks didnt have them when the one I bought over ten years ago had one... All I wanted was Heavy Stubbers on the turrets. :'(
right? Or a :cussing dozer blade?

I used 4 dozer blades to make a baneblade dozer blade back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...

My main desideratum for the next codex is relatively simple, and stems from a consideration: fluff-wise, AM is a horde army. But playing a horde army is boring and inefficient, as you spend far too much time unpacking, deploying, moving, firing, removing casualties,and re-packing (bonus: many old infantry models in current AM range suck, and nobody likes to buy and paint a horde of that). So I do not wish to have guardsmen back at 4ppm or so.

However, AM cannot obviously be elite either, so it must keep some numbers. The current numbers may be fine, and I do not ask for points discounts over our whole army. What we really need is not discount, but rather good rules, as the (pathetic) adjustments in the new CA show all too well.

Therefore, I'd like the new codex to implement a mechanic which simulates that what you have on the battlefield is but a fraction of your real force: you are focusing on a tiny section of a huuuuge battle line, miles deep, most of which lies off-board as countless reserves, supply trains, and long-range fire support.

To implement this, I would expect a system based eg on supply points (call them however you like) which you start with and generate in various ways. You can spend these in a variety of ways, eg: to bring to the board fresh units replacing depleted ones (cfr the old Valhallan strat), to increase the firepower of 1 leman Russ as if it was a whole armoured column firing, to bombard anywhere on the field with artillery support located 40 miles away (we used to have this in the 2nd ed codex, eons ago), to call aeronautica imperialis support and gun down a specific spot, to disrupt the enemy as a secondary brigade of parachuters attacks their supply lines. Etc. etc.

I mean, the kind of stuff that reflects how large-scale ww2 warfare was, and which no other codex implements. This would reflect what we all expect from AM, after all, and make it unique. There is nothing like combat patrol for the Guard, just the spearhead of half a million men marching behind them :)

Edited by Feral_80

Well said. But i'm afraid most of those fluffy and interesting 'off-board' things can not be sold in a store like models. So unfortunately we most likely will get only some renovated old stratagems and doctrines, not whole new mechanics giving bonuses without something material on the table.  For example to get one-use 'orbital bombardment' now you need MoO or OoF models, and their abilities don't make enemies running scared to be honest.

I've been thinking along the lines of Feral for a whole.

I think giving IG a practical way of reintroducing lost models would be a great way to show their vast numbers without the tedium of moving 120 models each game

Bump guardsmen to 2W each?  :wink:

Well said. But i'm afraid most of those fluffy and interesting 'off-board' things can not be sold in a store like models. So unfortunately we most likely will get only some renovated old stratagems and doctrines, not whole new mechanics giving bonuses without something material on the table. For example to get one-use 'orbital bombardment' now you need MoO or OoF models, and their abilities don't make enemies running scared to be honest.

Ah well, true and not true. I am sure GW can find ways to sell new stuff nevertheless.

In the case of AM, actually it would not take too much effort: as much as I love my (metal) Catachans, I'd probably buy any new infantry provided it's done well and covers all regimental options (IE, not one squad of Krieg). I believe most fellow Guard fans are so desperately awaiting new plastic infantry that they'd do the same. The new CA ban on mixing regiments has further limited the collections of many players, I believe, as many used to mix a couple of them.

And of course GW can always come up with new data sheets and fancy accessories to encourage buying new stuff.

All battle cannons to have flat 3 damage. 
Banblade to have +2 sv or +4 invulnerable save

Baneblade to have 3 BS 

Baneblade to cost 450 with side sponsons (same as 2xTC with HB sponsons)

Forgeworld tanks to be much more inline with baneblade stats above. 

Edited by TCC

They will, and they'll increase the price because of it too. Lol.

Salamander?

I'd love to see the Salamander to come back. 

Otherwise bring back the Centaur as a cheap transport and add the option for a light tank based on the same chassis like this. 

unknown.png

Something like:

Centaur Light Tank: 60 points. 

M12. WS6+. BS4+. S5. T6. W8. A2. Ld7. Sv3+.

Has a twin autocannon, can upgrade to twin lascannon for 10 points.

Edited by jarms48

except it’s generally a :cussty vehicle that’s not easily available and doesn’t have twin ACs.

Well, basically it is an open-topped Chimera. I won't believe a guard collection to not have a spare autocannon to put on top of the hull. So you don't have to be an artisan to make one. But yes, it's not a twin autocannon. And in general it was a strange vehicle rulewise. 

Well, basically it is an open-topped Chimera. I won't believe a guard collection to not have a spare autocannon to put on top of the hull. So you don't have to be an artisan to make one. But yes, it's not a twin autocannon. And in general it was a strange vehicle rulewise. 

I think the Salamander could have worked if it's autocannon was heavy 4, or 2D3. Make it 75 points. 

Some ideas I had.

Strats and some keywords

Ambush 1 cp

Can be used on any unit with the scout keyword.

A selected unit may move forward up to 3” during the shooting phase, and shoot, and then may return to their previous position during the combat phase.

Brace 1CP

Maybe used on any unit with the brace keyword

Selected unit gets a 4++

I’d primarily intend this to make sentinels a bit more useful and to differentiate between the two a bit more and to help increase their survivability a bit.

• 1 month later...

I'm really excited to see that Kasrkins are very likely to come back now. I know they were on that rumour and that person has already been right about everything else, but the official rumour mill kinda confirms that. Which is nice.

Though I definitely think they're going to be heavily pushed and the only way to really run regular Guard competitively. I'm imagining Scion statlines, Scion equipment, and no deepstrike. At about 8 points. With the ability to also get the <Regiment> keyword. So they'll be the most efficient infantry available to us. 

As for Scions, I imagine they'll be heavily incentivised to be taken in their own detachments. With those detachments finally getting a second trait. 

I'm still not really keen on this new tank. It's just going to invalidate the Leman Russ, Malcador, Macharius, or Baneblade. We don't need it and it makes me think GW will be putting some of the FW tanks to Legends. 

Edited by jarms48

I understand the consternation, but has anything similar happened in 9th so far? Most of the new Sisters stuff isn’t must take from what I follow

I only play Kill Team though, so I’m not. 40k expert by any means.

I can definitely see Scions being incentivized for their own Detachments. Scions having their own regimental rules is the biggest reason I always doubted Kasrkin.

Edited by sitnam