9th Ed. Wishlist?

Lord Robertsen

Somehow, guard tanks need to become more durable. Maybe not with T9, but maybe a FNP mechanic similar to the orks.

GW is moving away from any kind of T9 vehicles unfortunately. Which is sad, because we could realistically have up to T10 with all theses S12 or higher weapons these days. Even S10 weapons with a +1 to wound would wound T10 on a 3+.

The same goes to generic feel no pain. They’re restricting feel no pain to stratagems, warlord traits, relics, or character abilities. The initial is limited to once a turn and has a CP cost, while the latter ones can have their characters killed and removed off the board.

There’s only 3 ways I see GW giving Baneblades some form of FNP. That’s a character aura on something like a tech priest, a super-heavy tank ace, or some way to make Baneblades characters like Knights can.

Other than that the only way to buff a Baneblades durability would be: More wounds, 2+ armour save, -1 damage, heals +1 wound a turn, can only be wounded on 4/5/6, make smoke launchers better for a -1 to hit, or an invul save.

Edited by jarms48

What vehicle lost T9? I don’t play several of the dex’s that have been released so I’m not aware of this. (Sorry in advance for off topic question)

Off the top of my head it was some Knights and Titans.

that transfers to tech priests. Baneblades hitting on a 3+ would be nice.

Highly unlikely.

If Baneblades remain at their current points costs I highly expect them to naturally get BS3+ in the next codex. Why does a tank commander get a veteran crew, but the rarest most prized vehicles in the Guards arsenal don't?

I brought this up over on the agents of the imperium section but it's AM/MT as well, so I'd like to see what people here think.

For the Inquisition and the Militarum Tempestus. I want a Militarum Tempestus regiment called Inquisitorial Storm Troopers. This would replace the <Tempestus Regiment> keyword with <Ordo>. 

Which won't be the most powerful Militarum Tempestus regiment, that'd probably still be Lions. However, it would open up some interesting avenues. Such as:

- Militarum Tempestus units would benefit from the Quarry ability. 

- Militarum Tempestus units can now benefit from the Psychic Pursuit or Psychic Veil powers.

- Inquisitor Coteaz could then trigger Spy Network on Scions. 

- If you take any Jokaero Weaponsmiths they could now buff Scions. This would probably be the biggest buff out of all of them.

Penal Legion Assault Troops. Give them a pistol and a chainsword and jobs a good un. 

My valhallan ice warriors would love this!  We got lots of criminal scum that would be useful on the front lines.  

Im biased though as I have started playing 1st ed when assault troops were still a thing, but I am only buying stuff that I can still use in 9th and I really want assault troops. They dont even have to be good at it, I just wanna try something that isnt standing around shooting for once. 

I brought this up over on the agents of the imperium section but it's AM/MT as well, so I'd like to see what people here think.

For the Inquisition and the Militarum Tempestus. I want a Militarum Tempestus regiment called Inquisitorial Storm Troopers. This would replace the <Tempestus Regiment> keyword with <Ordo>.

Which won't be the most powerful Militarum Tempestus regiment, that'd probably still be Lions. However, it would open up some interesting avenues. Such as:

- Militarum Tempestus units would benefit from the Quarry ability.

- Militarum Tempestus units can now benefit from the Psychic Pursuit or Psychic Veil powers.

- Inquisitor Coteaz could then trigger Spy Network on Scions.

- If you take any Jokaero Weaponsmiths they could now buff Scions. This would probably be the biggest buff out of all of them.

first they need to completely redo and un:cuss the scion models.

The only problem i have with the Scions is the pose of the Plasmagunner. The rest looks pretty good to me.

i don't think they fit in with the over guard aesthetic. For me kasrkin sculpts are the pinnacle of that role. Even the old school Stormtroopers look better to me.

Scions maybe as a specific regiment of Stormtroopers, but as the base sculpt it's like making Voystroyan or that one kit bashed regiment with plumes being the base line guard sculpt to me.

As inquisitorial troopers or upper hive elite guards/enforcers for aristocratic families specifically I wouldn't mind. To me at least

Brainstorming openly again, this is my take on making Imperial vehicles more durable. 

Imperial Guard and some GSC vehicles:
- Essentially all (ex)Imperial vehicles should benefit from the GSC Rugged Construction rule. The rule should be simplified to "Each time an attack is allocated to this model, subtract 1 from the Damage characteristic of that attack (to a minimum of 1)." The only vehicles that wouldn't get this rule are the non-tracked ones, such as Sentinels due to their more complex nature.

- Basilisks, Griffon Mortar Carrier, Hydras, and Wyverns should be reduced to 10 wounds. This is a buff and a nerf. It's a nerf to durability but a buff to VP's, as each would now only give 1 VP for Bring it Down.

- Armageddon-pattern Basilisks and Medusas, Hellhounds, Manticores, and Deathstrikes should be increased to 12 wounds.

- Leman Russ Tanks should be increased to 14 wounds and given a 2+ save against shooting attacks (3+ save in engagement range). The latter buff is representative of the old armour facing system, when Leman Russ tanks had the same front armour as a Landraider.

- Stygies Destroyer Tank Hunters should be increased to 12 wounds and given a 2+ save against shooting attacks (3+ save in engagement range).

- Thunderers should be given a 2+ save against shooting attacks (3+ save in engagement range).
- Malcadors should be given a 2+ save against shooting attacks (3+ save in engagement range).
- Valdor Tank Hunters should be reduced to 18 wounds and given a 2+ save against shooting attacks (3+ save in engagement range). Similar to the Basilisks above this drops their Bring it Down VP from 3 to 2, it also puts it inline with the Malcador.

Imperial Guard Lord of War:
- Baneblades (and variants): should be increased to 28 wounds and given a 2+ save against shooting attacks (3+ save in engagement range).
- Macharius Heavy Tanks (and variants): should be increased to 24 wounds and given a 2+ save against shooting attacks (3+ save in engagement range).

Imperial Guard Stratagems:
- There needs to be some kind of Pop Smoke! stratagem that lets an Imperial Guard player use a Smoke Launcher in the enemies shooting phase.
- Jury-Rigging: Change this to heal D3 wounds. 1 CP for 1 wound and the restrictions really isn't worth it 99% of the time.
- Tech-Adept: Add this stratagem into the Imperial Guard codex, this would make Tech Priest Enginseers more viable. As they could now double repair either a single vehicle, or spread the heals across two vehicles.

Imperial Guard Regiment Doctrines:
- Jury-Rigged Repairs: Simplify this to "At the start of your turn, if a vehicle model with this doctrine has lost any wounds, it regains 1 lost wound."

Imperial Guard Orders:

- I'd like to see a defensive Tank Order. Something like: Button Up! This vehicle treats AP-1 as AP0 until the start of your next Command phase. If this vehicle has the Armageddon regiment keyword, this bonus becomes AP-2 (it stacks with their regimental doctrine).
Edited by jarms48

- Basilisks, Griffon Mortar Carrier, Hydras, and Wyverns should be reduced to 10 wounds. This is a buff and a nerf. It's a nerf to durability but a buff to VP's, as each would now only give 1 VP for Bring it Down.

As this is for sure a good Change to help Guard, this still feels like a Bandaid for a far bigger Problem.

In my Opinion the Secondarys should be reworkt, or to be totaly honest "Bring it down" and "Thin their Ranks" should be cut from the Game completly.

Why get points for what you do regardless of the Mission. Kiling the Enemys Army is noting worthy of VP, it's what you do 2/3 of the Game

And not Only Guard suffers from this. Genestealer,Tyranids and Orks suffer from them too.

in my mind I would love to see a IG lord of war, Superheavy Grav Lander transport ( that can only move like 4" a turn), but can deploy like 70 guard from it

I’d prefer a simpler option, more reliable and abundant medics. It’d be pretty nice if regular Infantry Squads could take medi-packs (and platoon standards while we’re at it), in addition to their current load outs. Also, allow transport vehicles Chimera/Taurox/Taurox Prime to become medicae vehicles as well. Basically giving those vehicles the medi-pack rule. They don’t even need to lose their weapons (unlike IRL) because I doubt enemies like Chaos, Orks, and Nids would spare medical vehicles. All of these would add tons of potential sources to restore models, heal wounds, and if the medi-pack becomes similar to the Apothecary then a 6+++ aura as well.

The only other method of returning models should be stratagems. Something like Send in the Next Wave needs to be changed to something like the Ork one.

Edited by jarms48

I don't know if the medi-packs would do anything.  9th ed. is a game of trading, and you'd be paying points to rez a model in a throwaway unit.  It makes a lot more sense for Bullgryns, but regular IG squads are there to be thrown up on a point and die.  Even SMs use an apothecary for rezzing key elite units (bikers, terminators, BGV, etc.), and only rarely for regular Troops (like if there is literally nothing more valuable to rez). 

For Bring It Down, I wonder if a simple wording change of "MONSTER or VEHICLE model" to "MONSTER or VEHICLE unit" (or "force org slot") would help.  (Thinking out loud here).  We take vehicles in squadrons, so if you had to kill all 3 LRs in a squadron to get the points, that changes things.  So killing 3LRs in a unit nets 3VPs (total wounds in the unit), means the opponent has to work for it.  1 LR Commander, 2 points.  Lone Manticore, 2 points.  If we also made transports taken in units of 3, then all 3 have to die to net 3 VPs.  We shift the meta from an instant 15VPs to a possible 15, but the opponent will really have to work for them. 

I don't think this affects other armies, as their vehicles aren't taken in squadrons (that I know of off the top of my head) except for Ork deff koptas, and this would be a good change for them also. 

I think I'm in the same camp with TTR.  4 LRs and 60 guard is a free 12 VPs just for playing the game.  If the next guard codex gives us a "Leave Nought But The Bones" secondary that gives us equivalent 'free' 12 VPs, maybe 2 VPs for each enemy unit destroyed, then I can see keeping it. 

I don't know if the medi-packs would do anything.  9th ed. is a game of trading, and you'd be paying points to rez a model in a throwaway unit.  It makes a lot more sense for Bullgryns, but regular IG squads are there to be thrown up on a point and die.  Even SMs use an apothecary for rezzing key elite units (bikers, terminators, BGV, etc.), and only rarely for regular Troops (like if there is literally nothing more valuable to rez). 

Medi-packs work in a bubble. So that 60 point Infantry Squad (55 + 5 for the medi-pack) could resurrect Bullgryns, they would also have a 6" inch 6+++ bubble if they work just like Apothecaries. If there's no Bullgryns then you'd be bringing back a ton of Guardsmen. 

I've gone crazy again and scratched down all my ideas for Astra Militarum vehicles:

- Leman Russ

- Other Codex Vehicles

Both have different tiers on what can be done to balance them out. 

Still need to do Forge World/Legends, and LoW.  

Edited by jarms48

Medi-packs work in a bubble. So that 60 point Infantry Squad (55 + 5 for the medi-pack) could resurrect Bullgryns, they would also have a 6" inch 6+++ bubble if they work just like Apothecaries. If there's no Bullgryns then you'd be bringing back a ton of Guardsmen. 

So an Infantry squad becomes ablaitive wounds for more special equipment in it. That would make veterans even more obsolete choice. But If Veterans could become Troops again that would make flexibility. Veterans would take damage role, Infantry squads would become kind of staying power buffers.