Battle report grey knights vs necrons

Gnomeo

So people have asked for a battle report and I have finally been able to get in a TTS game. Unfortunately covid and work is ruining my free time. Apologise for lack of photo's.

So I have recently been trying to make a purifier list but could never quite settle on something I liked. After watching the no-open I saw Eric had been using a similar list to ones I had been working on. Which gave me the confidence to go for a list with less CP than I would like.

So my list

Patrol

Additional Relic -1CP
+ HQ +

Chaplain: 5. Recitation of Projection, 6. Invocation of Focus, Edict Imperator, Warp Shaping, Sanctic Shard, Warlord: Lore Master,

Grand Master Voldus: Astral Aim, Gate of Infinity, Sanctuary.

+ Troops +

10man Strike Squad all with staves, Vortex of Doom

++ Vanguard Detachment ++

+ HQ +

Librarian: Armoured Resilience, Warp Shaping, Artisan Nullifier Matrix, Combi-melta, Warding Stave

+ Elites +

Apothecary: Empyrean Domination, Warding Stave

Paladin Squad: Gate of Infinity,
4x Paladin: Psycannon, Halberd.
5x Paladin: Warding Stave
Paragon: Hammer:

10x Purifier Squad: Astral Aim.
. 4x Purifier: Psycannon
. 6x Purifier: Warding Stave

10x Purifier Squad: Hammerhand
. 10x Purifier: Warding Stave

10x Purifier Squad: sanctuary
. 10x Purifier: Warding Stave

+ Dedicated Transport +

Rhino

Rhino

Total: 8CP, 1,999pts

The idea is purifiers are more survivable thanks to there strat. and thus I should have more alive by the end of the game. However they are still 1 wound marines. As a result I am happy to let my opponent win the early game to keep my army alive. Normally I am not the biggest fan of a chaplain and prefer the brother captain but due to mostly having purifiers the chaplain made the most sense. During the game he got litanies off 3/5 times.

My opponent was necrons. Normally a match up I find is tough for grey knights. However my opponent isn't the best player so I sent him my list so he could counter pick if he wanted.

This is his list.

++ Battalion ++

Dynasty Choice: Szarekhan

+ HQ +

Chronomancer: Aeonstave, Countertemporal Nanomines, Veil of Darkness

Lord: Voltaic Staff, Resurrection Orb.

+ Troops +

5x Immortal Gauss Blasters

5x Immortal Gauss Blasters

20x Necron Warrior: Gauss Reapers

+ Elites +

Triarch Stalker: Twin Heavy Gauss Cannon

+ Fast Attack +

9 Tomb Blades
. 5x Tomb Blade: Particle Beamer, Shadowloom
. 4x Tomb Blade: Particle Beamer

10x Triarch Praetorian: Rod of Covenant,

+ Heavy Support +

Canoptek Doomstalker

+ Lord of War +

The Silent King

+ Fortification +

Convergence of Dominion

++ Total: [ 13CP, 2,000pts] ++

Looking at his army I can not march out to face that. So my best option is to sacrifice some board control and let him come to me in the hopes of whittling him down.

So the mission we rolled was retrieval, loaded up a map. Bit of a mixed bag. Looked like I could hold two objectives nicely but will have to sacrifice the rest for the 1st couple of turns.

Deployment

As for secondaries I figured if I could hold him off and keep my army mostly in tact I could score high on secondaries with that in mind i took while we stand we fight, minimise losses (retrieval secondary), and repair teleport homer. (This was a bit of a gamble but I saw he did not have many small units that he could leave in his deployment zone. So if I let him march on me he would either have to split his force up or let me have the points).

For while we stand this was my paladins, the purifiers with psycannons and my strike squad.

My reasoning being if I can hide and sit on the 2 objectives I should get 10vp of the primary a turn.
And should get 10-15vp for each secondary. If I just hide it also denies 2 of his secondaries.

My opponent took, abhor the witch, purge the vermin, code of conduct (here I think code of conduct was a mistake, I think he thought the silent king could go on a rampage.

For deployment I put the strikes in deep strike and combat squad them. Then I put the purifiers with hammerhand in one of the rhino's.

My whole army bar the empty rhino I put behind a large obscuring ruin on my right flank. The empty rhino held the objective in my deployment zone. I was able to hide it behind some large crates.

I won the roll for 1st which sucked as I really wanted to go 2nd in this situation. Started the game in tide of shooty shoot.

So turn 1 was fairly simple. +6" litany on to the purifiers with psycannons. Then astral aim and gate to my left flank behind some crates. Here I was careful to spread them out In a way that he could not veil his units in to my deployment zone and get clear LOS. Paladins moved forward into the ruin and got edict on them with psybolt ammo they destroyed his doomstalker and moved back behind obscuring. The astral aimed purifiers shot at a 5man unit of immortals and killed 3 (this is a really important part of my plan. Killing this 5man unit means if he wants to hold the objective he has to leave something else behind but a lot of his army are big blobs)

He pushed basically his whole army forward down the centre leaving an immortal unit on 2 objectives. Moving a triarch stalker on to another and finally using veil with his warriors on to the 4th objective near my units on the left flank. Due to Clever deployment LOS and range his shooting was a sngle gauss reaper necron at my empty rhino. No dmg.

Turn 2
Looking at the distance I think I can squeak out another turn in my deployment zone. Though the warriors are close and realistically I can't kill them so need to delay. Litany fails. Honestly in this match up not a big deal as lot of the vehicles have 4++ anyway.

turn 2

knowing I need to keep my psycannon purifiers alive I advance the empty rhino between the warriors and the purifiers and pop smoke. The paladins move in to the ruin. Purifiers with hammerhand get out of the rhino and into the ruin. Purifiers with sanctuary get in the rhino the other unit had just left and I advance the rhino to my central objective where the empty rhino had been and pop smoke.

Psychic phase edict on paladins with psybolt again and target the triarch stalker, which is the only model of his holding the objective on my right flank near his deployment zone.I roll awful here and my opponent rolls really hot. It survives on 2 wounds. Paladins the again move back behind obscuring.

Purifiers in the ruin get armoured resilience and sanctuary. Psycannon purifiers do astral aim on themselves. Then at the end of psychic phase I change to tide of shadows.

Psycannon purifiers split fire finishing of the immortals on the left rear objective and kill a couple of warriors.

Purifiers in the ruin kill a couple of warriors. However there job this turn is a distraction.

So bit annoying that I couldn't finish of the triarch stalker however everything is currently going to plan. And with the immortals dead on the rear left flank either something has to stay behind or it will be abandoned this has also created a nice pocket behind LOS for strikes to drop down and start repairing teleport homer from turn 3 on.

The march of the necrons continues. Tomb blades get behind purifiers with psycannons.
Warriors shuffle a bit but are limited by the rhino in there face. Lord moves back to hold the objective the immortals were holding. Preatorians advance to get rods in range of purifiers in the building. Silent king moves forward right to the centre of the board. Preatorians shoot at purifiers in the building and use solar pulse to get rid of cover. I pop purifier strat. So with 3+ ivul minus -1 to wound and -1 to hit not a single model dies. The silent king split fires at the rhino with purifiers in and the purifiers in the building. He destroyed the rhino and 4 purifiers die getting out. The ones in the building take no dmg. The warriors destroy the other rhino. And the tomb blades kill some of the psycannon unit however thanks to tide of shadows only 3 die

So damn those buffed purifiers work.
So turn 3 time to go on the offensive. Paladins move forward in to the building eyeing up a charge on the praetorians and some small bits of shuffling with the purifiers. I drop one of the combat squaded units in his deployment zone out of LOS and start to repair teleport homer. Here I should have brought in the other squad with the 3” strat to help secure the kill on the lord and steal the objective.

Psychic phase some smites from the purifiers the unit with the psycannons I spend the CP so the can cast astral aim as well. Change to tide of shooty shoot and start buffing the paladins. Unfortunately armoured resilience got denied. Edict the purifier squad in the building I think they shot warriors cant quite remember but then moved behind obscuring.

Shooting paladins finish of the triach stalker and do some damage on the Preatorians. Psycannnon purifiers shoot necron lord holding his rear objective wiping him out. Other random bits of fire either went in to warriors or tomb blades.

Charges and fighting my 2 damaged purifier units charge the tomb blades and finish them off. Paladins charge Praetorians and wipe them out.

Necron turn 3.
so at this point he is looking thin on the ground. A damaged warrior unit with chronomancer, silent king basically full health, unit of 5 immortals holding his rear objective surrounded by the necron fortification.

At this point he knows the game is lost and piles as much as he can in to the paladins. Between shooting close combat and moral only 2 paladins left standing. Damn the silent king is a beast at shooting and combat.

We talk through the remaining turns

game finishes 95-69 for the grey knights

Anyone who read all of that thank you and well done

Edited by Gnomeo

Take the following in the lightest possible way.

I am curious though, how did you score 95 points in 5 rounds, when the opponent scored 69? While possible, usually when a person scored 95 points on one side, the other should be scoring pretty low (usually in the range of 20 or so points). On top of this, I find it somewhat inconceivable that you won with that big of a margin against a faction that makes regular Space Marines work hard. Was he new to Necrons? Between the re-animation, wounding on 4's for stalkers/silent king I would have expected the Necrons to wipe the floor with Grey Knights. 

Edited by Skywrath

So as I said I knew I would have to surrender board control early. See the thing with 9th you dont need to get on as many objectives as possible and stay there you just need to claim at the right time. So my primary score was 10,5,10,15 =40 if I remember correctly. And my opponent was 15,10,15,10 I think so max= 45. So he won the primary by 5pts. Im ok with that.

Secondaries. While we stand we fight full 15, minimise losses full 15 had over 75% of my units left. Repair teleport homer for 3 turns full 15. So 45pts on the secondary.

His secondary abhor the witch. 0 he did not kill a single psychic unit. How? Because I hide and whittled him down for 2 turns. On the turn when he did have options to shoot at it was either 2 rhinos or a super buffed purifier unit. As a result of me hiding. It also denied his code of conduct. Noble unit getting kills. However with me surrendering 75% of the board for 2 turns did mean he scored high on his purge the vermin.

So doomstalker and silent king do not have the wound on 4+ ability but they do have invuls.

On an open field 100% he would have trashed me but being cagy with deployment ment he couldn't do any serious shooting for 2 turns. And by that point he had lost quite a bit of his army. Yes reanimation is a bitch. So I ignored the warriors for the most part and focused on other stuff. I limited there effectiveness by putting rhinos in front of there face.

My opponent isn't the best player in the world but is not new to necrons having played them for the whole of 8th though his list could have been stronger though I think the outcome would have still been a GK win

So as I said I knew I would have to surrender board control early. See the thing with 9th you dont need to get on as many objectives as possible and stay there you just need to claim at the right time. So my primary score was 10,5,10,15 =40 if I remember correctly. And my opponent was 15,10,15,10 I think so max= 45. So he won the primary by 5pts. Im ok with that.

Secondaries. While we stand we fight full 15, minimise losses full 15 had over 75% of my units left. Repair teleport homer for 3 turns full 15. So 45pts on the secondary.

His secondary abhor the witch. 0 he did not kill a single psychic unit. How? Because I hide and whittled him down for 2 turns. On the turn when he did have options to shoot at it was either 2 rhinos or a super buffed purifier unit. As a result of me hiding. It also denied his code of conduct. Noble unit getting kills. However with me surrendering 75% of the board for 2 turns did mean he scored high on his purge the vermin.

So doomstalker and silent king do not have the wound on 4+ ability but they do have invuls.

On an open field 100% he would have trashed me but being cagy with deployment ment he couldn't do any serious shooting for 2 turns. And by that point he had lost quite a bit of his army. Yes reanimation is a bitch. So I ignored the warriors for the most part and focused on other stuff. I limited there effectiveness by putting rhinos in front of there face.

My opponent isn't the best player in the world but is not new to necrons having played them for the whole of 8th though his list could have been stronger though I think the outcome would have still been a GK win

If you say so.