Your Best (tested) BA List.

Morticon

Greets all.  

I wanted to start a thread of people sharing their best TESTED BA lists.  

Basically a list that you've built and played and have found it is doing really well for you. 

I'd like to avoid theory hammer and the bogeyman spam theory lists that people float around and stick to stuff that people are actually using. 

I'd like you to share what's working for you, the combos that work and WHY they work and also against which opponents. 

I'm hoping this can generate some good feedback for the community. 

I'm LOVING the list I'm playing with at the moment. It's based on the last thread I had vs the DG and I've been  playing it against a variety of opponents with some good success. 

Breaks down like this:

Chaplain (MOS) - +2", Mantra, Benediction, Soulwarden, Imp Sword    

Libby (Chief) - Pyshic Fort, Might, NullZn, Wings - Tomb, JP., +1 to cast. 

5x Infiltrators - Helix

5x Infiltrators - Helix

5x Incursors

10x Vanguard - 10SS, 2TH, 5LC, 

8x DC - 3TH, 4InfPist.

5x Blade Guard 

5x Dev - 2LasCan, 1HB, 1GC, Cherub

3x Eradicators - HeavyMelta

2x Attack Bikes- 2MM

2x Attack Bikes- 2MM

2x Attack Bikes- 2MM

It's quick, its shooty, its fighty - its got all the tools I need.  The devs work well to claim back field, the erads offer reliable shooting - especially vs DG - in fact the amount of melta there is expressly for DG.   But, its got enough fighty and choppy to help out with hordey things too.  

The BG march up - the Vanguard usually always drop in - though, if the field is really good, they may deply on the board. 

How about you guys? Whats been working and why ?

I guess my question about your list is what it gains from being BA. A list like that is good, no doubt, but it would be better as White Scars against everyone except maybe DG, where the extra attack is worth more than extra damage. WS don’t have DC, but they could be dropped for another unit of VV. With advance and charge you don’t miss Forlorn Fury much.

I guess my question about your list is what it gains from being BA. A list like that is good, no doubt, but it would be better as White Scars against everyone except maybe DG, where the extra attack is worth more than extra damage. WS don’t have DC, but they could be dropped for another unit of VV. With advance and charge you don’t miss Forlorn Fury much.

I think this is a really valid question !  

But, the answer is more rooted in the fact that I'm a BA player at heart.  I've dabbled with other chapters in competitive environments when I felt our dex wasn't nearly up to standard, but now with the new release, we have the same tools available. 

So, the question is a little bit of a misnomer for me in that it's a BA list and it plays as a very strong BA list.  Whether or not it can be more representattionally BA is a different question, but not really the point of the topic, and whetehr or not its "better" than another identical list of a different chapter is highly debateable. 

It's strenghts over the identical list from a different chapter  have partially been mentioned by yourself, but the combination of assault and advance range benefits, along with +1 to wound along with +1 attack means that the BA are much better in combat than the WS vs a great deal of opponents. 

Smaller squads of primaris still put out a great amount of attacks, which help with hordes.  We dont get the extra movement and mobility from the WS bikes, but its not needed in the role they play. We dont need to be rushing headlong into the enemy with the attack bikes.  On top of that, the WS only really shine when theyve charged.  BA work their magic when they charge or they receive a charge - which is a big difference in my view. 

Cover the line of "DC" with a piece of paper, then no one could tell which chapter this list coming from. Well, we all known that is how 9th look like…

Does missing of an apothecary equivalent make you uncomfortable?

Edited by Tokugawa

A timely post, I'm looking for feedback on a list in the Army List Section, as I have an upcoming tournament, however I'll post here also.

I've played variants of this list for a few weeks now, and it's doing well in my meta.

170 - Captain Raxiatel on Bike, Chapter Master, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Visage of Death, Gift of Foresight, Imperium's Sword (-1CP)

120 - Sanguinary Priest, Jump pack, Icon of the Angel, Selfless healer (-2CP)

130 - 5 infiltrators, helix, Angel Ascendant, Quake Bolts.

105 - 5 Tacticals, Storm Bolter, Grav Cannon

115 - 5 Tacticals - Combi plasma, lascannon

150 - 5 Sanguard, 2 axes, 3 swords

145 - 5VV's - 5xSS, 3xPowerfist, 2x PSwords

243 - 5 Assault Terminators - 4x THSS, 1x LC

140 - Venerable Dreadnought - Multimelta, Storm bolter. 

165 - 3 Attack Bikes: Multimeltas

The units in blue I'd say are the core of that list, while the others are peripherals that can be swapped out. 

I'm looking at taking a variant of this to a 1000pt tournament in a couple of weeks,

130 - Captain Raxiatel on Bike, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Visage of Death, Gift of Foresight, Angel Exemplar (Imperium's Sword) (-1CP)

120 - Sanguinary Priest, Jump pack, Icon of the Angel (or swap for teeth), Selfless healer (-2CP)

130 - 5 infiltrators, helix

145 - 6DC - 1xPowerfist

150 - 3 Outriders

The DC and Outriders in blue are on the chopping block, I think more sanguard or VV's will perform better. 

The basic gyst of the army is the Captain/Chapter master rolling in a biker gang, giving full rerolls to the attack bikes, who in turn shield the captain and priest with 12 T5, 3+/6+++ wounds. If the bikes take return fire, they get a boost from the priest, and I get to bring one back and heal D3 wounds per turn on them. Sanguinary guard are golden (pun intended) and usually take out what they hit. The Captain is as tough as I can get him without being Primaris, at T5 6W. Ideally he gets Angel Artifice in larger games. 

A downside is that the army has to clump up a bit, and I maybe need hammer units going after objectives, however they'll usually be charging opponents on objectives, so I'll still have them if I can weather the storm of fire in my opponents next turn. 

I have not been able to play much 9th but this list is unbeaten so far.

HQ

130 Sanguinary Priest (Warlord). Jump Pack. Chief Apothecary, Selfless Healer, Armour Indomitus

130 Captain. Jump Pack, Relic Blade, Storm Shield. Rites of War (-1CP)

Troops

100 5 Tactical Marines, Grav Cannon, Chainsword

105 5 Intercessor, AGL, Chainsword

Elite

265 8 Sanguinary Guard, 4 Swords, 4 fists, 1 plasma pistol

Fast

165 3 Attack bikes, Multimeltas

275 5 Inceptors, Plasma Exterminators

Heavy

125 Whirlwind

1500 points 11 CPs

This list could probably be optimised a bit such as a Relic on the Captain but since the OP was actual lists, this is how it stands. :smile.:

Does missing of an apothecary equivalent make you uncomfortable?

It doesn't at all.  It's a GREAT unit for the attack bikes  - but I'd need to play 2x3 instead or 3x2 - and then i'd need to find 120 points for a priest - which means the only place I'd get it from would be the Devs.  In short, it's inclusion changes the list design. 

I could arguably swap out the Priest for the Libby - but the issue there is that the prevelance of invul saves from DG, DA, SM, Daemons and Harlies (top lists) means that the necessity of Nullzone is super important. 

stick to stuff that people are actually using.

Whoops, that's me ruled out :sweat: What with my Legends units and no games this side of the Codex Supplement...

What I will say, however, is Drop Pods. That T1 push upfield combined with two wound Tacticals/Marines is lush and given we need that boost for secondaries and the like, it's just exceptional. Especially if that mobility is filling a hole that the rest of your army lacks.

A timely post, I'm looking for feedback on a list in the Army List Section, as I have an upcoming tournament, however I'll post here also.

I've played variants of this list for a few weeks now, and it's doing well in my meta.

170 - Captain Raxiatel on Bike, Chapter Master, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Visage of Death, Gift of Foresight, Imperium's Sword (-1CP)

The units in blue I'd say are the core of that list, while the others are peripherals that can be swapped out. 

I'm looking at taking a variant of this to a 1000pt tournament in a couple of weeks,

130 - Captain Raxiatel on Bike, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Visage of Death, Gift of Foresight, Angel Exemplar (Imperium's Sword) (-1CP)

120 - Sanguinary Priest, Jump pack, Icon of the Angel (or swap for teeth), Selfless healer (-2CP)

145 - 6DC - 1xPowerfist

150 - 3 Outriders

The DC and Outriders in blue are on the chopping block, I think more sanguard or VV's will perform better. 

The basic gyst of the army is the Captain/Chapter master rolling in a biker gang, giving full rerolls to the attack bikes, who in turn shield the captain and priest with 12 T5, 3+/6+++ wounds. If the bikes take return fire, they get a boost from the priest, and I get to bring one back and heal D3 wounds per turn on them. Sanguinary guard are golden (pun intended) and usually take out what they hit. The Captain is as tough as I can get him without being Primaris, at T5 6W. Ideally he gets Angel Artifice in larger games. 

A downside is that the army has to clump up a bit, and I maybe need hammer units going after objectives, however they'll usually be charging opponents on objectives, so I'll still have them if I can weather the storm of fire in my opponents next turn. 

How do you find the smaller units ? Any good weight pulled?  What are the majority of armies you play against in your meta? 

Also, what are you finding good about the Tacticals? I'm interested in their role.  Tell us more!

I have not been able to play much 9th but this list is unbeaten so far.

HQ

130 Sanguinary Priest (Warlord). Jump Pack. Chief Apothecary, Selfless Healer, Armour Indomitus

130 Captain. Jump Pack, Relic Blade, Storm Shield. Rites of War (-1CP)

Troops

Elite

265 8 Sanguinary Guard, 4 Swords, 4 fists, 1 plasma pistol

Fast

165 3 Attack bikes, Multimeltas

275 5 Inceptors, Plasma Exterminators

Heavy

125 Whirlwind

1500 points 11 CPs

This list could probably be optimised a bit such as a Relic on the Captain but since the OP was actual lists, this is how it stands. :smile.:

Nice and tidy for a 1500!  Do you feel it loses punch at all when you lose the Sangguard, or what pulls more weight?

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) [105 PL, 2,000pts, 8CP] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selection**: Blood Angels

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems +

Relics of the Chapter [-1CP]: Number of Extra Relics

+ HQ +

Librarian [6 PL, 120pts, -1CP]: 2. Unleash Rage, 3) Null Zone (Aura), 6) Psychic Fortress (Aura), Force sword, Inferno pistol, Jump Pack, Rites of War, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, Tome of Malcador

Librarian Dreadnought [8 PL, 155pts, -1CP]: 1. Quickening, 6. Wings of Sanguinius, Champion of Humanity, Meltagun, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

Sanguinary Priest [7 PL, 135pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Chief Apothecary, Icon of The Angel, Jump Pack, Selfless Healer, Warlord

+ Troops +

Assault Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 95pts]

. 4x Assault Intercessor: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol

. Assault Intercessor Sgt: Astartes Chainsword, Heavy Bolt Pistol

Assault Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 95pts]

. 4x Assault Intercessor: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol

. Assault Intercessor Sgt: Astartes Chainsword, Heavy Bolt Pistol

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Stalker Bolt Rifle

. 4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

. Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Death Company Marines [16 PL, 295pts]: Jump Pack

. Death Company Marine: Thunder hammer

. Death Company Marine

. . Bolt pistol and chainsword

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

Leviathan Dreadnought [13 PL, 220pts, -1CP]: 2x Twin Volkite calivers, Grav-flux bombard, Grav-flux bombard

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Sanguinary Guard [17 PL, 300pts]

. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine sword

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [7 PL, 165pts]: 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator x2

+ Heavy Support +

Eradicator Squad [7 PL, 135pts]: Melta rifle

. 2x Eradicator: 2x Bolt pistol

. Eradicator Sgt

++ Total: [105 PL, 8CP, 2,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

So I ran this in a few practice games as well as a tourney a couple weeks ago. I only lost to the top two players, and I should’ve won each but for some epically bone-headed plays.

That said - I didn’t face DG and this is going to be more of a critique on this list than things I’ve found to be particularly helpful.

Eradicators - they’re great but need to be run in groups of two. Otherwise you treat them too preciously. Inceptors - also great but aren’t a linchpin unit. Don’t think they’re going to win you the game. But they’re definitely solid, especially with our descent of angels rule.

Sang guard - absolute monsters but frankly need support. Which is why I’m considering van vets - I feel like I need to support my sang guard with my HQs at all times. And maybe that’s just me needing to be more flexible. But sang guard with obsec and the priests blood chalice can flip objectives in a hurry.

A utility librarian is an absolute must. Null zone is critical in the meta right now - and adding in our wings or unleash rage just makes him super flexible and valuable.

Libby dread - beat sticks that don’t do anything else are overrated. Even though he wrecked face - I could easily have done his job with other units and used the points to add utility. (He solo’d a knight and should’ve killed G-man. As well as ruined a chaos players back line).

Leviathan was incredibly solid. Not sure if he’s worth the cp - but dual grav is actually really handy. He was never removed from play and just chunked wounds off stuff all game every game.

That said - the key to any list is cohesion. I feel like this list isn’t as tight as it could be but played fairly well.

Nice and tidy for a 1500!  Do you feel it loses punch at all when you lose the Sangguard, or what pulls more weight?

I haven't lost the SG yet. The closest they came was 2 survivors vs Grey Knights before Christmas. Between the Heals, 6+++ and resurrection from the Priest, I have managed to keep them scraping through till the end of the game.

You are right that losing them would rob the list of some of its punch as they are my melee heavy-lifters. 4 Troop units might be overkill so I could possibly trim 100 points off there. The Whirlwind is nice for plinking off wounds and access to the Strat but I have to admit I have not found it especially useful (particularly as I tend to play vs other MEQs). Trimming that off too would allow me to get another melee unit. Bladeguard are particularly tasty for us as those swords kill Marines on a 2+ in the first round and can even wound Knights on a 4+, plus they are durable. Alternatively some Vanvets with SS/LCs would give me a more durable and mobile unit.

There is definitely scope for improving the list but I am confident the core is solid. The other thing I want to try is experimenting with some Phobos units. Infiltrators to create a Reserve denial bubble would be handy and Eliminators might help to make enemy Characters keep their heads down. If they survive to the late-game, they can use Guerrilla Tactics to snag Objectives.

Fitting all the toys into 1500 points is always a challenge. :wink:

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) [116 PL, 7CP, 1,998pts] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selection**: Blood Angels

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Relics of the Chapter [-2CP]: 2x Number of Extra Relics

+ HQ +

Chapter Master [8 PL, -1CP, 170pts]: 5. Gift of Foresight, Chapter Command: Chapter Master, Hammer of Baal (replaces thunder hammer), Inferno pistol, Jump Pack, Stratagem: Angel Exemplar, The Imperium's Sword, Thunder hammer, Warlord

Librarian [7 PL, -1CP, 140pts]: 2. Unleash Rage, 3) Null Zone (Aura), 3. Shield of Sanguinius, 6. Wings of Sanguinius, Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Chief Librarian, Force sword, Jump Pack, Psychic Mastery, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, Tome of Malcador

Sanguinary Priest [7 PL, -1CP, 135pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Chief Apothecary, Jump Pack, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, The Armour Indomitus

+ Troops +

Incursor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]

. 4x Incursor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Occulus bolt carbine, 4x Paired combat blades

. Incursor Sergeant

Incursor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]

. 4x Incursor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Occulus bolt carbine, 4x Paired combat blades

. Incursor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 215pts]: 2x Astartes Grenade Launcher, Auto Bolt Rifle

. 9x Intercessor: 9x Bolt pistol, 9x Frag & Krak grenades

. Intercessor Sergeant: Power sword

+ Elites +

Company Veterans [3 PL, 54pts]

. Company Veteran: Lightning Claw, Storm shield

. Company Veteran Sergeant: Lightning Claw, Storm shield

Company Veterans [3 PL, 54pts]

. Company Veteran: Lightning Claw, Storm shield

. Company Veteran Sergeant: Lightning Claw, Storm shield

Sanguinary Guard [17 PL, 150pts]

Sanguinary Guard [17 PL, 150pts]

+ Fast Attack +

Attack Bike Squad [6 PL, 165pts]

. Attack Bike: Multi-melta

Inceptor Squad [14 PL, 275pts]: 4x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator x2

+ Heavy Support +

Eradicator Squad [7 PL, 155pts]: Heavy melta rifle

. Eradicator

. Eradicator Sgt

. Eradicator with MM: Multi-melta

Whirlwind [7 PL, 125pts]: Whirlwind castellan launcher

++ Total: [116 PL, 7CP, 1,998pts]

So far this has been my best outing.

The Priest supports the Intercessors and Attack Bikes as they push into the midfield, the intercessors often get Shielded and Transhuman as well.

So far been very impressed with the intercessors, especially if you give them chapter master rerolls and double shoot vs infantry

So far been unimpressed with the whirlwind but am willing to give it a few more tries.

One squad of company vets and the eradicators go in reserve, the 2nd vet squad holds home objective and scramblers

This list always goes for Scramblers, almost always Oaths, and the 3rd is match dependent but defaults to Engage

4 games into 9th so far, but this list is unbeaten against Tau, Raven Guard x2, Space Wolves. The average margin of win is pretty huge.

Battalion - 1998 Points - 9CP

HQ

Chapter Master - Jump Pack, Relic Blade, Storm Shield, Angel's Artifice, Iron Resolve, Angel Exemplar - Gift of Foresight

Librarian in Terminator Armor - Force Axe, Might of Heroes, Veil of Time

Chaplain - Jump Pack, Bolt Pistol, Canticle of Hate, Visage of Death

Troops

Tactical Squad -  Heavy Bolter, 3x Boltguns, Sgt with Storm Bolter & Chainsword

Tactical Squad -  Heavy Bolter, 3x Boltguns, Sgt with Storm Bolter & Chainsword

Tactical Squad -  Heavy Flamer, Flamer, 7x Boltguns, Sgt with Combi Flamer

Elites

Chapter Champion - Blade of Triumph

Sang Guard - 10x Swords & Angelus Boltguns

Assault Terminators - 9x Hammer & Shield, Teleport Homer

Death Company - 7x Chainsword & Bolt Pistol, Jump Packs

Vanguard Vets - 7x Storm Shield & Power Sword, Jump Packs

Transport

Drop Pod

Edited by Matarno - Lord of Skyfall

I've played probably 7 or 8 games with the new supplement, mostly at 1000 points. I've had two clean wins with this list at 2k. If you want to go extra sweaty and basically netdeck that nasty Vegas NOPEN list from a couple weeks ago, you could drop the artillery and run another unit of Sanguinary Guard. 

EDIT: I really like the company champion, I think he's just a fantastic model that brings a lot of rules to the table for the points. Dante w/ plasmaceptors is pretty self explanatory. They will body most things in one or two volleys. The priest, the champion, and the ancient drop in ideally all with the same unit of Sanguinary Guard and just kill whatever you point them at. I've found it to be an incredibly killy package and in the first game I ran it, they killed a haruspex, a carnifex, a biovore, a lictor, and a broodlord in one turn.

HQ:
Commander Dante

Sanguinary Priest (Chief Apothecary, Icon of the Angel, Selfless Healer, Jump Pack, Hero of the Chapter)

TROOPS:
Assault Intercessor (Sgt w/ Pfist and Hand Flamer)

Assault Intercessor (Sgt w/ Pfist and Hand Flamer)

Intercessors (Stalker rifles, Plasma Pistol)

ELITES:
Company Champion (Warlord, Gift of Foresight, Martial Exemplar, Chapter Champion, Visage of Death

Sanguinary Ancient (Rites of War, Wrath of Baal)

10 x Sanguinary Guard (All swords)

10 x Sanguinary Guard (All swords)

FAST ATTACK:

5x Inceptors (Plasma Exterminators)

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Thunderfire Cannon

Whirlwind (Vengeance Launcher, PSB, HK Missile)

Edited by Lyphisar

145 - 6DC - 1xPowerfist

150 - 3 Outriders

How do you find the smaller units ? Any good weight pulled?  What are the majority of armies you play against in your meta? 

Also, what are you finding good about the Tacticals? I'm interested in their role.  Tell us more!

Not specifically this army, but I've gone up against AdMech, BAx2, Thousand Sons, and Knights going 5/5, with the last 2 being versions of this list. 

The 'weak link'/'dont fit' units are in blue, which includes the tacticals. They just don't seem to do much in games for me now, though I guess them being shot prevents my other workhorse units being shot at. In larger games I'll likely swap for another unit of infiltrators and maybe 1 incursors. The guerilla tactics strat worked a charm last game, and the auto wound from the infiltrators worked well when facing that knight list. They all also have access to THP and smokescreen, something the tacs dont. I'll lose some heavy weapon coverage, but gain mid board control with some units I'm unafraid to move upfield.

The small units for me are a response to the killiness of other stuff. If the opponent focuses fire, then 8 sanguinary guard die as easily as 5, but if the threats are in different units then the opponent has to focus fire and overkill, or split fire and risk leaving models alive, to their peril - A single sanguinary guard within range of the warlord is more than capabale of wiping a 5man intercessor squad alone, and probably will, sans THP. 

The Vanvets I have used twice in 9th, to various results. The change to Storm Shields is great. They're good on the charge but suffer later. 

Outriders didnt do much in the single game, got smited then charged by a daemon prince so no chance to shine. They're still tough and fast, though, more importantly a melee unit that isnt in the elite slot for patrol lists.

The attack bikes have been great, and basically untouchable with the priest nearby. Couple this with the fall back and still shoot strat, and they're hard to pin down. They have shooting that can deal with both big things and hordes, and can scoot 20" if needs be. Basically the ideal shooty support unit. 

What happened in my last games is that I ran the priest and master next tothe attack bikes to keep them in rerolls and priest range, I should have done that T1 then run my priest off with the Sanguard to keep them boosted. My next game I'll be trying that. 

Fists hit harder with full support, and axes are better vs specifically DG, but swords are never bad, and don't suffer nearly as much without the Warlord being near, as hitting on 4s feels really bad. But if you had like a dedicated warlord chaplain for them fists would be fine.

Why San Guard with all swords ? Would a powerfist or 2 not help against armour?

With no buffs, swords and fists do identical damage to T8 (swords hit on 3+ and wound on 4+, fists are 4+/3+). Fists are marginally better against T7 and T6 but swords are much more versatile since they have better horde-clearing power.

How are you guys  finding the Whirlwinds?  A lot of players swear by them - and for us they seem VERY good in some environments. 

I think it depend on whether you have plan to screen home objective. It is not difficult to find a place where could hide a WW from long range fire, but when enemy melta units outflank, it may die immediately?