Your Best (tested) BA List.

Morticon

How are you guys finding the Whirlwinds? A lot of players swear by them - and for us they seem VERY good in some environments.

I think it depend on whether you have plan to screen home objective. It is not difficult to find a place where could hide a WW from long range fire, but when enemy melta units outflank, it may die immediately?

They are OK but rather situational. Sometimes they can whittle down a unit hiding on an Objective that you cannot reach or you can slap a nasty unit with the fight-last stratagem. Other times they struggle to put damage through or die to outflanking melta.

At least they are fairly cheap.

How are you guys finding the Whirlwinds? A lot of players swear by them - and for us they seem VERY good in some environments.

I've played two RTTs now with the new Whirlwind and love love love it. I'm certain it hasn't killed even a single model, but Suppression Fire is such an incredible tool it doesn't matter. Lately I used the 2d3 shot variant because I had spare points and figured I might accidentally kill a Primaris Marine with it. That was a mistake, I'll be sticking with the 2d6 shot variant from now on. I failed to land a hit on Mortarion with the fewer shots and paid the price.

I really like suppression fire with the whirlwind in both games I've tested it. In both games I was able to park it behind LOS-blocking terrain in one of my corners and much to my opponent's dismay, it sat there untouched putting wounds and suppression on things the whole game. In terms of killing power, I feel like there are plenty of better options for the points but suppression synergizes really well with the rest of our list.

Edited by Lyphisar

To add to what others have already said, I totally vouch for the WW. For its points and 1CP strat it is so versatile.

Deny overwatch is a gem against certain units especially things like Necron doomstalkers which have a hideous overwatch ability.

The fight last effect is extra ace because it lasts for a whole round. Against any strong melee unit it's a game changer. Even against DG, as the BA charging unit would still get to fight first against the suppressed unit even when under the effect of vats.

Edited by Shaezus

I’ve only played this list twice but the results have been great once against tyranids and the second against death guard and I’m quite happy with it, it’s take on all comers but mainly just plays the missions and only interacts with the opponent when needed.

Secondary objectives options

While we stand we fight

Engage on all fronts

Linebreaker

Dominion

Raise banners

Investigate sites

Bring it down

Deploy scramblers

The troop choices all have different attributes for different situations but mainly the intersessors sit on the home objective and the two infiltratior units will sit on other objectives depending on what I’m up against the war suits could be back up for these, depending on mission I could be holding 4 objectives on the first turn, everything else in the list is about supporting these units that are holding the objective, the 3 HQ units are threats and can clear objectives, the 3 sanguinary guard can clear objectives, I mostly use the death company as early distraction giving me chance to move everything else into position, casting shield of sanguinius on these and popping the 5+ feel no pain strat can make them quit hard to move. It’s so easy to score the secondary points and the primary

9CP, 2,000pts

Battalion

Blood Angel

+ Stratagems +

Extra Relics

+ HQ +

Captain: Hammer of Baal (replaces thunder hammer), Jump Pack, Storm shield, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, The Imperium's Sword, Thunder hammer

Chief Librarian Mephiston (Primaris): 1. Quickening, 3. Shield of Sanguinius, 6. Wings of Sanguinius

Primaris Chaplain on Bike: 2. Artisan of War, 4. Mantra of Strength, 5. Gift of Foresight, Litany of Hate, Master-Crafted Weapon, Stratagem: Angel Exemplar, Visage of Death, Warlord

+ Troops +

Incursor Squad

4x Incursor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Occulus bolt carbine, 4x Paired combat blades

Incursor Sergeant

Infiltrator Squad

4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine

Infiltrator Sergeant

Intercessor Squad: Astartes Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle

4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

Intercessor Sergeant: Thunder hammer

+ Elites +

8 Death Company Marines: Jump Pack

Death Company Marine

Bolt pistol and chainsword

Death Company Marine

Death Company Marine

Death Company Marine

Death Company Marine: Thunder hammer

Invictor Tactical Warsuit: Twin ironhail autocannon

Invictor Tactical Warsuit: Twin ironhail autocannon

6 Sanguinary Guard

Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine sword

6 Sanguinary Guard

Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Power fist

6 Sanguinary Guard

Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine axe

+ Fast Attack +

Suppressor Squad

2x Suppressor: 2x Accelerator autocannon, 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Frag & Krak grenades

Edited by redshadow

I relaly like this list. Do you find it struggles at all vs shooty/long board games?

The two games were against Nids and death guard, I haven’t played a proper shooting army yet but the plan would be to hold more and hide using the mobility to out score them, if it’s a mobile shooting list then I’d send the guard, characters, war suits and death company into them in waves to keep them distracted while the troops and suppressors pick up the points. The smaller units are easier to hide and because for their movement can back up the infiltration units fast to make sure I keep the objectives

Edited by redshadow

I've essentially tabled my opponent in 2 turns with these lists. Small points, and against an unoptimised GSC/Tyranid soup. Outriders were the weak link, though in both games I've used them they received the charge, albeit not dying. T5W4 is pretty decent, combined with transhuman and the priest res'ing them. Quake bolt infiltrators have been a workhorse for me, between being surprisingly resilient with the helix, blocking opposing deep strikers, auto wound on a 6 and quaking things for the death co/vanguard.

135 - Sanguinary Priest, WARLORD, Jump pack, Selfless healer, Exemplar>Artisan>Arty Armour, Teeth of Terra (-1CP)

140 - Librarian, Chief Librarian, Psychic Mastery, Force Sword, Null Zone, Veil of Time, Might of Heroes (-1CP)

105 - 5 Incursors Angel Ascendant, Quake Bolts (-1CP)

155 - 5 Death Co, Packs, 2 fists, Sword, Maul

300 - 10VV's - 1xTH+SS, 3xPowerfist+SS, 4x PSwords+SS, 1x LC+SS, 1x LCChainsword

165 - 3 Attack Bikes: Multimeltas

130 - Captain Raxiatel on Bike, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Visage of Death, Gift of Foresight (-2CP)

135 - Sanguinary Priest, WARLORD Jump pack, Selfless healer, Exemplar (arty armour), Teeth of Terra (-1 CP)

130 - 5 infiltrators, helix, Angel Ascendant, Quake Bolts (-1CP)

140 - 5 Death Co, Packs, 1 fist, 1 axe

150 - 5 Sanguard, 2 axes, 3 swords

165 - 3 Attack Bikes: Multimeltas

150 - 3 Outriders

The nest list I use will be this I think, a mash of the two. VV's split into 2 units to get around 2 elites in a patrol, allowing for 3 tough threats and scoring. I'm missing the captain rerolls on the bikes, but they should still do work. 

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selection**: Blood Angels

Battle Size: 2. Incursion (51-100 Total PL / 501-1000 Points)

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems +

Stratagem: Angel Ascendant

+ HQ +

Sanguinary Priest: 2. Artisan of War, Artificer Armour, Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Chief Apothecary, Jump Pack, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Angel Exemplar, Teeth of Terra, Warlord

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad: Helix gauntlet
. . 4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine
. . Infiltrator Sergeant: Quake Bolts

+ Elites +

Sanguinary Guard
. . Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine sword
. . Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine sword
. . Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine axe
. . Sanguinary Guard: Encarmine axe, Inferno pistol
. . Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Power fist

Vanguard Veteran Squad: Jump Pack
. . Vanguard Veteran: Lightning Claw, Storm shield
. . Vanguard Veteran: Power sword, Storm shield
. . Vanguard Veteran: Power sword, Storm shield
. . Vanguard Veteran: Power fist, Storm shield
. . Vanguard Veteran Sergeant: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

+ Fast Attack +

Attack Bike Squad
. . 3x Attack Bike: Multi-melta

++ Total: [65 PL, 4CP, 1,264pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe
Edited by Xenith

• 5 months later...

Greetings all!!

Been playing a LOAD with this list and thought Id share.  I've only drawn one game with this list- and the rest (about 10 games) have been wins.  

First off is the move towards a successor chapter.  Its really sad for me in some ways, but does fit my paint style (since I have a home-brew). 

I'm using Born Heroes and Whirlwind.   This means that statistically I'm doing more damage to anything I'm attacking. Considering I'm not using heroes or BA relics, I dont need the BA stuff anyway. 

Primaris Biker Chaplain -  Armour Indom, Iron Will, Mantra of S, +1 to wound.
Priest -  JP, teeth of terra, Artificer Armour 

5x Assault Intercessors

5x Incursors

5x Incursors

4x Bladeguard

7x Sangguard - 7 Axes

7x Vanguard - 7LC, 7SS

5x DC - JP, 5Inferno Pistols

5x Scouts 

5x Scouts

2x Attack Bikes- 2MM

1x ATV - MM

1x ATV - MM

Arcus Sicaran

Speeder Storm
Speeder Storm

The combination of WWoR and BH chapter tactics with the added chaplain +1 to wound make the combat units absolutely crazy. Highly recommended.  I've been forcing myself to play the SG - i usually dont do well with them and dont use them well - but forcing myself to work with them has seen me play them far, far, far more cautiously and in a more cagey way - so theyre able to hit what I want them to - and when they do its devastating. 

The Chaplain is amazingly tanky.  2+,4++,6++ and 9W !!!  I also occasionally swap out IW with Gift of Foresight which actually works better sometimes. 

The Priest is really nice with ToT since he can actually do some damage. 

The TROOPS are solid- and the Phobos units add some great utility as usual.  

DC make a GREAT unit for Relentless Assault and some shock tactics as well as mind games. 

It's highly mobile and nicely balanced!! 

Thanks for sharing - I am intrigued by the choice of successor with BH and WOR. I mainly run RG successors with WOR and/or bolter fusillades or BH and find both effective, but I have to say the BH/WOR really lends itself to a mobile melee army that starts on the board. I can really see that working. For example, VGVs with twin lightning claws would do 26 attacks base hitting on 2s, with exploding 6s... my mathhammer tells me that the unit would do, on average, 11.235 points of damage to a dark eldar raider in turn 1. So enough to pop it. Very potent combination with the additional attacks once savage echoes kicks in! 

Thanks for sharing - I am intrigued by the choice of successor with BH and WOR. I mainly run RG successors with WOR and/or bolter fusillades or BH and find both effective, but I have to say the BH/WOR really lends itself to a mobile melee army that starts on the board. I can really see that working. For example, VGVs with twin lightning claws would do 26 attacks base hitting on 2s, with exploding 6s... my mathhammer tells me that the unit would do, on average, 11.235 points of damage to a dark eldar raider in turn 1. So enough to pop it. Very potent combination with the additional attacks once savage echoes kicks in! 

Yeh, its been devastasting.  And the list isn't built around deepstrike charges, so the +1 is rarely missed (sadly). 

Added to the fact that if I *really* need the +1 to wound, I can get it from the Chaplain. 

I’m on a 6 or so game win streak with this list, including a tournament win. I tried out the BH/WoR combo and it didn’t work for me prior to this list - that said, I’m tempted to try it out again. This list works well because of the target saturation. There are a lot of killy things that I force my opponent to pick between. Really good at denying primaries and racking up secondaries (usually oath, engage and rotating third).

++ Vanguard Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) [77 PL, 1,093pts, -5CP] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selector**: Blood Angels

Detachment Command Cost [-3CP]

+ HQ +

Sanguinary Priest [7 PL, 155pts, -1CP]: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Chief Apothecary, Icon of The Angel, Jump Pack, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

+ Elites +

Bladeguard Veteran Squad [10 PL, 140pts]

. 3x Bladeguard Veteran: 3x Frag & Krak grenades, 3x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 3x Master-crafted power sword, 3x Storm Shield

. Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant: Heavy Bolt Pistol

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 150pts, -1CP]: 2x Twin volkite culverin

Sanguinary Guard [17 PL, 160pts]

. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine sword

Sanguinary Guard [7 PL, 128pts]

. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine axe

Vanguard Veteran Squad [14 PL, 180pts]: Jump Pack

. Vanguard Veteran: Lightning Claw, Storm shield

. Vanguard Veteran Sergeant: Lightning Claw, Storm shield

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) [47 PL, 905pts, 13CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

Commander Dante [9 PL, 165pts, 1CP]: 4. Heroic Bearing, Warlord

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad [6 PL, 130pts]: Helix gauntlet

. 4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine

. Infiltrator Sergeant

+ Elites +

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Rocket Pod, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [14 PL, 240pts]: 3x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator x2

++ Total: [124 PL, 8CP, 1,998pts] ++

Since you dropped the librarian, it may be effective to bring Reliquary of Gathalamor, even Culexus.

Marine is always more vulnerable to MW spam(than other meta armies), and you don't want to lose to a random newly returning TS/GK player.

Id sooner look to Soulwarden, to be honest.  

No more objective flips?

I LOVED the concept - and I still may consider playing around with it- especially with the Domination secondary being the way it is.  The issue was that at its most useful, it required the hero to solo off to flip an objective, essentially sacrificing himself.  It forced, or rather leaned into, a playstyle that was not tactically sound.  

Angels Sacrifice is REALLY good, and the Chappy needs to stay alive for that.  The Priest also really hits well and his support is necessary too.  

I’m on a 6 or so game win streak with this list, including a tournament win. I tried out the BH/WoR combo and it didn’t work for me prior to this list - that said, I’m tempted to try it out again. This list works well because of the target saturation. There are a lot of killy things that I force my opponent to pick between. Really good at denying primaries and racking up secondaries (usually oath, engage and rotating third).

++ Vanguard Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) [77 PL, 1,093pts, -5CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost [-3CP]

+ HQ +

Sanguinary Priest [7 PL, 155pts, -1CP]: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Chief Apothecary, Icon of The Angel, Jump Pack, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

+ Elites +

Bladeguard Veteran Squad [10 PL, 140pts]

. 3x Bladeguard Veteran: 3x Frag & Krak grenades, 3x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 3x Master-crafted power sword, 3x Storm Shield

. Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant: Heavy Bolt Pistol

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 150pts, -1CP]: 2x Twin volkite culverin

Sanguinary Guard [17 PL, 160pts]

Sanguinary Guard [7 PL, 128pts]

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) [47 PL, 905pts, 13CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

Commander Dante [9 PL, 165pts, 1CP]: 4. Heroic Bearing, Warlord

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad [6 PL, 130pts]: Helix gauntlet

. 4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine

. Infiltrator Sergeant

+ Elites +

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Rocket Pod, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [14 PL, 240pts]: 3x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator x2

++ Total: [124 PL, 8CP, 1,998pts] ++

Ive seen two tourney winning BA lists with Dante and now tihs one. .

What do you feel his strengths are? Why take him over another captain?

For me, the added CP helped lessen the blow of taking not only a vanguard detachment but also the relic contemptor. On top of that, you get a “free” relic and a 9 inch bubble for rerolls and his chapter master range. It really gives you flexibility, and he’s tanky enough that using his free epic strat on angels sacrifice is really viable. He’s not auto include, but he synergizes well with the loads of core units here, and makes them all a little more efficient with rerolls