Death Guard Units vs Necrons

Orpheus108

Greetings All,

I was wondering want units do people take vs necrons, the players loves his hand to hand death cult guys, the new ones, ive forgottentheir names and ive played against them using SM, but havent used my DG against them.

Any suggestions? At the moment we are playing 500pt games.

Cheers All

++ Patrol Detachment ++

Plague Company: Mortarion's Anvil

+ HQ +

Malignant Plaguecaster [5 PL, 95pts]: 1. Miasma of Pestilence, 4. Putrescent Vitality, 6. Gift of Plagues, Gloaming Bloat, Putrid Periapt, Warlord

+ Troops +

Poxwalkers [5 PL, 95pts]

. 19x Poxwalker: 19x Improvised weapon

+ Elites +

Death Guard Possessed [12 PL, 240pts]

. 10x Possessed: 10x Horrifying Mutations

+ Fast Attack +

Chaos Spawn [3 PL, 69pts, -1CP]: Grandfatherly Influence

. 3x Chaos Spawn: 3x Hideous mutations

++ Total: [25 PL, 499pts, 2CP] ++

Turn 1: Advance the Spawn up in front of the Possessed, cast Miasma and Putrescent Vitality on the Spawn, and use CoF on the Possessed.

Turn 2: Use Flash Outbreak then cast Miasma and Gift (if necessary, otherwise PV) on Possessed. This assumes you are now in charge range. When you charge in your Possessed he can’t overwatch, gets no re-rolls, and is -1 to hit you. If you used PV, you’re wounding most things on 2’s, re-rolling 1’s. That’s 40 attacks at AP-2, hitting on 3’s which should take out any unit you charged.

Meanwhile your Poxwalkers (and potentially your spawn) are grabbing the objective(s) and screening your Plaguecaster. The toughest part will be conserving your CP for the first 2 rounds.

If you don’t expect to be overwatched, replace Gift of Plagues with Gift of Contagion. Reducing Strength and hopefully Attacks with a warp charge of 5/8 isn’t that difficult to make.

Not saying it’s the most efficient list, but your shooting phase will go quickly.

Edited by McElMcNinja

Tbh I wouldn't be afraid of the melee destroyers but more of mass warriors. Warriors in small games are extremely hard to shift.

How to counter this? I think I would take the wretched plague company with the daemon's favour relic on a plaguecaster. Turn 1 don't focus too much on the warrior blob, but try to take out around 4 - not enough to waste a res orb on and try to focus scarabs/whatever objective holders he might have.

Turn 2 get your plaguecaster into range a cast curse of the leper into smite. Since warriors can't reanimate after mortals you should kill around 9 warriors leaving the rest be easily mopped up in shooting/assault. Ofc if you somehow fail to wipe them then be ready for the inevitible res orb to bring most of them back.

I don't think gloaming bloat is good against necrons since they donvt have too many sources of rerolls.

Just take Mortarion. ..lol

I played this 500 pts before and like it

The good units are easy to hide, screen and use things to manipulate targeting. Once they get into hand to hand they chop. The spawn are great flankers and objective nabbers.

I've used a few different plague cos and warlord/relic combos..

Plague Caster

Foul Blightspawn-unstable sickness, arch contaminator, fugaris helm

3 death shroud terminators-explosive outbreak

2x10 pox walkers

2x1 Spawn

What about the Death Marks, they can be a pain in the butt, any way of handling them?

I believe his next models hes adding are Canoptek Doomstalker, Illuminor Szeras and the Skorpekh Destroyer lord model, ( forgotten its name )

So our games will go up to 1000pts, ill add a PBC.

And has anyone had any luck with the Lord of Virulence, besides just looking cool, how does he play?

Deathmarks are expensive and pretty bad... especially against deathguard. I wouldn't worry about them. Assuming you will be facing a 5 man squad - if they aren't moving then they will deal an average of 1,38 dmg and 0,69 MWs to your support charachters every turn and 1,04 dmg against anything in  terminator armour. That's if they stand still and with decent terrrain you can kite them quite easily. Make them move to target your charachters or just let them waste their shots against poxwalkers.

The doomstalker can be strong but again can be kited into moving (and then it loses a lot of firepower) and even when it stands still it is very swingy. He can roll big and delete a squad of terminators in 1 shooting round or he can roll low on shots and do nothing.

As for the Lord of Virulence then I have played him in most of my games and I'm quite torn as to his usefullness. His aura is okayish - I've had a few moments when blightlaunchers went to ap-3 which is nice but it's not something to rely on. His gun has potential to be really good but I've been rolling poorly. Allways buff the gun with a pathogen - brinigng it up to str 6 is huge. I've only used virulent fever (MWs on 6s to wound) but it's proced only once and I don't think it's a good choice due to being too random. The superior choice is acidic malady (-1 ap) which bring the gun to str6 ap -2 and that can do some work. Another option  could be corrosive filth (+1 dmg vs vechicles) but it's quite situational and depends a bit on what the rest of your army has. His other perks are being decent in combat (but much worse than a LoC) and giving a cheaper blight bombardment (it's not bad, but not great - I'd use it as are denial on midfield objectives when you know your opponent will be pushing on to them or to nukes castles). If you give him the arch-contaminator warlord trait then he hands out 3 auras.

One thing I'm not sure on is if Mortarion's chosen sons plague brewers strat works on him - RAW it effects plague spewers but not "twin plague spewers". If it would work then this would be a great strat to use on him. 

Hope it helps.

++ Patrol Detachment ++

Plague Company: Mortarion's Anvil

+ HQ +

Malignant Plaguecaster [5 PL, 95pts]: 1. Miasma of Pestilence, 4. Putrescent Vitality, 6. Gift of Plagues, Gloaming Bloat, Putrid Periapt, Warlord

+ Troops +

Poxwalkers [5 PL, 95pts]

. 19x Poxwalker: 19x Improvised weapon

+ Elites +

Death Guard Possessed [12 PL, 240pts]

. 10x Possessed: 10x Horrifying Mutations

+ Fast Attack +

Chaos Spawn [3 PL, 69pts, -1CP]: Grandfatherly Influence

. 3x Chaos Spawn: 3x Hideous mutations

++ Total: [25 PL, 499pts, 2CP] ++

Turn 1: Advance the Spawn up in front of the Possessed, cast Miasma and Putrescent Vitality on the Spawn, and use CoF on the Possessed.

Turn 2: Use Flash Outbreak then cast Miasma and Gift (if necessary, otherwise PV) on Possessed. This assumes you are now in charge range. When you charge in your Possessed he can’t overwatch, gets no re-rolls, and is -1 to hit you. If you used PV, you’re wounding most things on 2’s, re-rolling 1’s. That’s 40 attacks at AP-2, hitting on 3’s which should take out any unit you charged.

Meanwhile your Poxwalkers (and potentially your spawn) are grabbing the objective(s) and screening your Plaguecaster. The toughest part will be conserving your CP for the first 2 rounds.

If you don’t expect to be overwatched, replace Gift of Plagues with Gift of Contagion. Reducing Strength and hopefully Attacks with a warp charge of 5/8 isn’t that difficult to make.

Not saying it’s the most efficient list, but your shooting phase will go quickly.

I ran something similar against my Dark Angels friend last saturday. Similar, but not quite. I ran Malignant plaguecaster (The Wretched and Seventfold blessing), 10 PM, 2 BL, 2 flails, 1 PF on champ. 15 Poxwalkers. 3 spawns with grandfather's blessing.

I attempted to make a very friendly list with severe weaknesses, however I ended up tabling my friend unfortunately (which was what I was trying to avoid doing, however he could deal with neither PMs nor the spawns with his firstborn at that 500 points level, so mission failed). Seventfld Blessing is stupid powerful in very low points cost battles I found, free psyk re-roll every turn is incredibly potent with so few models on the board. MW's a pain for my friend in addition to my actual units.

Apologice to Thread starter fro OOT. Just me an my anecdote so hope you will forgive me.

Edited by Iron Sage

The thing I don’t like with 500 pt games is it’s hard to recover once someone has an obvious advantage. It’s usually a powerful unit and stuff, if you remove (or have removed) that powerful unit, it’s all an up hill battle for whomever lost said unit. It’s almost like you have to have a gentleman’s agreement to take MSU units.

I have found in our 500pt games that once you lose a good unit the game goes downhill for you quickly, it happened last night in our game. Had me on the back foot from turn 2, and hard to take out his forces to recover and get VPs

The thing I don’t like with 500 pt games is it’s hard to recover once someone has an obvious advantage. It’s usually a powerful unit and stuff, if you remove (or have removed) that powerful unit, it’s all an up hill battle for whomever lost said unit. It’s almost like you have to have a gentleman’s agreement to take MSU units.

I would say that is a feature rather than a bug. If you put all your eggs in one basket and said basket gets shot off the table because it is the only significant and meaningful threat, well, ok then.

I certainly try to balance my small point game armies around multiple threats, even if that means two big ‘clear and present danger’ units. That still forces an enemy to make some tough choices.

Itvs hard to balance 500pts games. Ihave however found 1000pts games to be very enjoyable - much faster gameplay than the standard 2k and you can still have a decent mix of units.

Orpheus pls do tell us how you are faring against your necron opponents.

Itvs hard to balance 500pts games. Ihave however found 1000pts games to be very enjoyable - much faster gameplay than the standard 2k and you can still have a decent mix of units.

Orpheus pls do tell us how you are faring against your necron opponents.

Seconded on both accounts.  I find 1k games very enjoyable, and prefer them over 2k. 

Would also enjoy hearing more about Orpheus' games vs necrons.  I'm not able to play locally and would like to hear more first hand accounts of how different units are faring. 

No worries MCB82, we play in my game shed every Thursday night, my mate has just started the game and is loving it. Our next game is 1000pts game so i put up a report after the game. Im going to try and run some PBC in the back line to bomb the hell out of him plus Blight Haulers, drone or 2, PM, poxwalkers. As for HQs run MC and something else as another HQ if it fits in.

And anyone used Miasmic Malignifier and if so how did it go?

Edited by Orpheus108