Loyalist Emperors Children chapter tactics

jeremy1391

Hello everyone, I was recently gifted a forgeworld Emperors Children army that is about 1/3 painted (along with 5 traitor primarchs!) and as the title suggests which chapter tactics would you use to represent a loyalist emperors children army? The previous owner went for a themed “airborne” army so lots of flyers and jump packs.

Would ask the horus heresy area on this forum, but loyalist emperor children were mostly terra born and they were more loyal to the emperor then their primarch. Would go heavy on the veteran side of things as they were the older space marine in the legion. Palatine blades and the phoenix terminators would also be a good fit.

Also the chapter tactic im guessing you want 9th edition ones would be something to fight in melee, since no fight first one's go for melee like the plus one to advance and charge and the 6 auto would as that would suite the duelist aspect of the legion.

Edited by ChargingSoll

Think I remember something from the books where the EC executed one of Guilliman's tactics better than the UM, so good that Guilliman said as much to Fulgrim. So that's a contender, however for me the overriding theme of EC was speed and finesse. So the flyers and jump packs fit, landing a decisive thrust rather than a sledgehammer. Maybe White Scars to represent that mobility?

Edited by Brother Kraskor

So this is what the Emperor's Children's army rules in 30k are:

1. Exemplars of War: All units with Legiones Astartes have the Crusader Special Rule. Characters with this rule also gain +1 Initiative on challenges
  2. Flawless Execution: +1 Initiative on the charge, unless it's disordered
  3. Martial Pride: Must issue/accept challenges, but if your character is defeated in the ensuing challenge and slain, his unit suffers -1 to their Ld for the subsequent Morale test

Crusader is this: "When a unit falls back from combat the victors make a Sweeping Advance, attempting to cut down their fleeing foes. When a Sweeping Advance is performed, both the unt Falling Back and the winning unit roll a d6 and add their unmodified Initiative to the result."

So yeah, as everyone said, melee Legion. The third rule is completely unable to be replicated in 9th edition, but the other ones.... Somewhat?

I'd recommend a combination of the below based on how their rules in 30k are:

1. Born Heroes: Add +1 to hit on the charge
  2. Hungry for Battle: +1" to advance and charge rolls.
  3. Master Artisans: A unit with this tactic can re-roll a single failed to hit roll each time it shoots or fights (including overwatch).
  4. Whirlwind of Rage: When making melee attacks for a unit that charged, was charged, or made a Heroic Intervention, unmodified hit rolls of 6 score an additional hit

Any two of those really.

But yeah, for theming? Lots of Veterans :yes:

gallery_28285_15842_36492.png

gallery_28285_15842_158729.jpeg

gallery_28285_15842_329500.jpeg

So I am going to run them as a “successor” of either the white scars or blood angels.

Probably going to use hungry for battle and duelists . Thematically it seems fitting. Getting stuck in quicker and auto wounding on 6’s seems very much in line with the emperors children of the crusade era.

I will probably run the Phoenix guard as lightning claw relic terminators.

Also how would you run jet bikes? I’m thinking either as land speeders or as attack bikes. I’m not sure yet

Looks like some nice models in there!

Yea, the models I inherited from my buddy are ridiculously well painted! I don’t know how I am going to get the 2/3’s I have to paint look anywhere near as good!

As for the jetbikes, I think the best fit would probably be just regular bikers. And run the special weapons as a plasma or melta (as you can have up to two special weapons in a squad).

The problem with that in my mind is the base size

I think duelists fits as well as an option for a chapter tactic. Legion era EC are to me a measure once, cut once vs the UM measure twice cut once, but still make it work well. Sure, duelists has less utility, EC emphasising they prefer the mortal strike instead of another swing in melee. Plus with 9th being infantry skewed, its not a bad pic IMO, primaris already get a shedload of attacks anyway. 

I think duelists fits as well as an option for a chapter tactic. Legion era EC are to me a measure once, cut once vs the UM measure twice cut once, but still make it work well. Sure, duelists has less utility, EC emphasising they prefer the mortal strike instead of another swing in melee. Plus with 9th being infantry skewed, its not a bad pic IMO, primaris already get a shedload of attacks anyway.

One thing about this army is there will be no Primaris. Lots of jump infantry and hard hitting characters.

One thing about this army is there will be no Primaris. Lots of jump infantry and hard hitting characters.

Hm, might want that extra attack then in that case if OG marines. 

Hello everyone, I was recently gifted a forgeworld Emperors Children army that is about 1/3 painted (along with 5 traitor primarchs!) and as the title suggests which chapter tactics would you use to represent a loyalist emperors children army? The previous owner went for a themed “airborne” army so lots of flyers and jump packs.

In the 30k books there's a small blurb about a loyalist EC group called Death Eagles, this is also the name of a Raven Guard successor who the RG claim they are not sons of Corax. Now with that in mind I would use Duelists and Born Heroes/Tactical Withdrawal, then I would make them a Raven Guard successor and your characters can get +1 to hit/wound vs characters (and your army too), so this turns into an army that is thematically looking for duels and combat which is pretty much what the 30k rules are all about, they can also be very fast since you can infiltrate your slower units and then have all your fast units move forward at full speed.

So if you want to stay close to their 30k rules in theme and some table top effects it'd be Duelists and Hungry for Battle. Whirlwind is more first turn of combat and a stronger pick on the whole, but less fluffy in the extreme.

As far as First Founding chapter? That's very tough. Maru Skara encourages outflank which can be recreated by White Scars, but running and charging is basically Fleet from 5th and thats what the raven guard get in 30k. Speaking of, Surgical Strikes ties into character duelling quite well, and goes well with that death eagles as redmapa covers well.

Ultramarines can also work alright, as the movement in Tactical doctrine can mirror the EC's mastery of warfare and you can push some melee with the relic banner.

I'm less knowledgeable about the wolves or angels stuff unfortunately.

I'd say it be pretty unfortunate if you just went with the meta melee-successor of Whirlwind+Born Heroes/Hungry; the duelist theme is so core to the identity of 30k EC. And arguably core to their poor rules in 30k too lol.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

I might consider using some of the Primaris units, oddly enough. Because they're like Aspect Warriors for Space Marines, I think they fit the EC quest for excellence. Bladeguard Vets in particular seem pretty EC. Beyond that, I'll just echo the WS or BA suggestions. I think Sanguinary Guard would make great jump Palatines.

I might consider using some of the Primaris units, oddly enough. Because they're like Aspect Warriors for Space Marines, I think they fit the EC quest for excellence. Bladeguard Vets in particular seem pretty EC. Beyond that, I'll just echo the WS or BA suggestions. I think Sanguinary Guard would make great jump Palatines.

While I love Primaris marines the one thing I don’t want to do is lose that Horus Heresy aesthetic. Heck sometimes I may play them as ultra marines with Fulgrim as a stand in guiliman

While I love Primaris marines the one thing I don’t want to do is lose that Horus Heresy aesthetic. Heck sometimes I may play them as ultra marines with Fulgrim as a stand in guiliman

That would be particularly ironic and irk the Ultrasmurfs no end. I approve!

Tell me you wouldn’t field this guy every chance you got lol???

Now if I REALLY wanted to anger the Ultra boys I would paint up the 40 or so extra Heresy marines 2 land raiders, 20 terminators and use Lorgar as G-man lol

gallery_28285_15842_228208.jpeg

Now if I REALLY wanted to anger the Ultra boys I would paint up the 40 or so extra Heresy marines 2 land raiders, 20 terminators and use Lorgar as G-man lol

That model is stunning! Has got to be fielded like you say.

That model is stunning! Has got to be fielded like you say.

Yea he was paint by my friend JB who has given up on the hobby because his eyesight isn’t what it used to be so he gave me his entire collection!