Question on genestealer gangs

spu00sed

I haven’t used necromunda since the first edition with the sustain fire dice.  I had a delaque gang and a genestealer gang (from I think citadel journal).

the gang had the chance to purchase a genestealer (took a massive amount of credits) and when emembers gained experience there was a chance they would retire to breed and you got a new hybrid.

are there any rules for genestealer gangs for necromunda and if so do they have the option to take a four armed blender machine?

I haven’t used necromunda since the first edition with the sustain fire dice.  I had a delaque gang and a genestealer gang (from I think citadel journal).

the gang had the chance to purchase a genestealer (took a massive amount of credits) and when emembers gained experience there was a chance they would retire to breed and you got a new hybrid.

are there any rules for genestealer gangs for necromunda and if so do they have the option to take a four armed blender machine?

1) Yes, there are rules for Genestealer Cults in the current edition of Necromunda. GW released a pdf of rules for them a few years ago that you can find here, and they got updated rules in the Book of Ruin supplement, as well as rules for the Genestealer tainted House Gangs (Including gangs becoming tainted mid-campaign!). Goonhammer has a decent review of their capabilities here

2) Purestrains are available, but only through the favors table (An optional rule in campaigns, with access to it controlled by the arbitrator), and then only if you roll a 13+ on a 2d6 (With +1 with each person with a higher gang rating in the campaign, capped at +3), and it will only stick around for one game. (The Favors table would be in the Book of Ruin, not the pdf I linked to).

However, Abberants are 3-armed blender machines, and you can have them make up almost half of your gang if you so desire!

Edited by Squark

Thanks for the info.

I've been away from the universe for a while and abberants seem impure, the all father’s seed would never result in such mutations.  How similar are they to genestealer s i terms of stats?  Could a ‘stealer proxy for such an abhorrent failure of gene mastery?  Or do they have vastly different stats? 

Thanks for the info.

I've been away from the universe for a while and abberants seem impure, the all father’s seed would never result in such mutations. How similar are they to genestealer s i terms of stats? Could a ‘stealer proxy for such an abhorrent failure of gene mastery? Or do they have vastly different stats?

That I don't know for certain- I don't have the Book of Ruin, so I don't have the rules for Purestrains. However, I don't think so. Abberants are S5, T4, 2 wounds, have terrible reflexes, and their skills are based around brute strength and toughness, while I imagine Purestrains have a 2+ initiative, and would have the cunning and agility skills as primary.

Thanks for the info.

I've been away from the universe for a while and abberants seem impure, the all father’s seed would never result in such mutations.  How similar are they to genestealer s i terms of stats?  Could a ‘stealer proxy for such an abhorrent failure of gene mastery?  Or do they have vastly different stats? 

Aberrants are weird mutations that randomly pop up for Genestealer Cults, even the cults don't know what causes them to crop up. They tend to be kept hidden by the Cult because the cult knows full-well they're far beyond what the Imperium allows for mutation.

As to the stat differences, this is what they are in Necromunda:

Aberrant:

M: 5" WS: 3+ BS: 6+ S5 T4 W2 I: 5+ A: 2 Ld: 9+ Cl: 4+ Wil: 6+ Int: 10+

Purestrain Genestealer:

M: 6" WS: 4+ BS: 6+ S4 T5 W4 I: 3+ A: 4 Ld: 7+ Cl: 4+ Wil: 6+ Int: 10+

Basically: An Aberrant hits MORE OFTEN and HARDER, but a Genestealer is faster and sneakier (Purestrain Genestealers has Infiltrate off the bat), but an Aberrant is a basic ganger (meaning you can have as many of them as you want in a gang), whereas the Purestrain Genestealers are only available if you get the roll, and only for one mission.

Edited by Gederas

With a couple of stat advances and a pair of chainswords as as stand-ins for rending claws, you could probably get an Abberant to feel like a Purestrain in most respects, although you can't make it sneaky, and that 5+ initiative will be a bit awkward, leading to more falling off of ledges and failing to disengage than would seem appropriate for a genestealer.

Could a ‘stealer proxy for such an abhorrent failure of gene mastery?  

Not really. As others have said they're very different stat wise, with different roles within the gang. Plus Aberrants are full gang members who fight regularly, where as Purestrains are meant to be extremely rare. Until we get a Hive Secundus expansion (that place is infested with them) Purestrains are the kind of thing you might see once during a campaign if you're (un)lucky. Also, you're proxying in a model that already has it's own rules and just using it with different rules, which is going to cause confusion for your opponents. 

Obviously the final decision is between you and your Campaign Arbitrator. If they're happy to let you do it then that's all the permission you need. Personally, I wouldn't allow it in any of the campaigns I run, as it's both lore-breaking and it can cause confusion with game mechanics, which is just too many negatives for everyone involved. However, if someone wanted to convert something else up to replace the Aberrants that was clearly not a Purestrain (maybe a Neophyte or Accolyte in some kind of mining exo-suit) or proxy in a Metamorph (with it's mutations fitting the weapons the Aberrant is armed with) then I'd have no issue with that.

If it helps any, view the abberants as a variety of first or second generation hybrid. There was always plenty of leeway in how those were described, including the greater expression of genestealer physicality compared to third generation/fourth generation that could almost pass for full human in some conditions.