The Illuminated Host

After a hiatus from posting my models, I thought I'd share some of my Black Legion that I completed recently. The Landraider Proteus was a model that I've wanted for a while. I know that landraiders aren't very strong in this edition but I field a lot of sub-optimal units (like Chaos Marines!) in the games that I play. I swapped out the stock tracks for the Oppressor pattern tracks from Blood & Skulls industries. I also added some chaos flavor from a Chaos rhino. More spikes, more evil.

The plague marines from the Space Marines Heroes set are fantastic. I'm glad I splurged on them. 

NxKfe4Zl.jpg

JZHQaCLl.jpg

srayeb0l.jpg

Up next, I'll be working on a Helbrute (inspired by the model done by Bitter Old Painters), some more AoS Berzerkers and the 3 remaining plague marines from the heroes set.

Edited by Shovellovin

Fantastic work - worthy of the Warmaster's own.

Thank you!

Very nice, those tracks are very cool looking! What weapons are you giving your Hellbrute?

BCC

Thank you! I was thinking of running a dual power scourge helbrute but I’ll probably equip the model with a twin heavy bolter and power scourge. I just started hacking the leg s so I have time to figure out which weapons to run. 

nvfJuOml.jpg

Edited by Shovellovin

@battle captain corpus - Thank you! I think the leg extensions really make the Helbrute model more menacing than the short legged version. Now it's time to paint this monstrosity.

6R5j16ql.jpg

edit - I thought I'd include my Havoc squad that I recently finished. I realized I hadn't posted them yet.

Uyop3XUl.jpg

Edited by Shovellovin

@battle captain corpus - Thank you! I think the leg extensions really make the Helbrute model more menacing than the short legged version. Now it's time to paint this monstrosity.

6R5j16ql.jpg

edit - I thought I'd include my Havoc squad that I recently finished. I realized I hadn't posted them yet.

Uyop3XUl.jpg

Very cool! Where is that mace from?

Thank you, Kythnos.

The mace comes in the Havoc box set.

I see, thank you. Teaches me for buying already built Havocs second hand and not knowing the sprues. That mace would be perfect for my Iron Warriors. I need to source it now :D

I have finished the Helbrute and am really proud of how it turned out. I think the leg extension was a worthwhite modification that I would have never thought of had I not seen the Helbrute done on the Bitter Old Painters blog. I didn't glue in the heavy bolters, just used blue tack, in case I want to swap in dual lascannons. I tried to use greenstuff to mimic the exaggerated musculature of the model's legs. I'm a novice at using greenstuff but figure practice makes perfect. 

I haven't used a dreadnought in 9th edition, yet, but I think being able to move and shoot without penalty may really increase their utility. I've been playing a crusade campaign with some friends so since our games are small the addition of a dreadnought/helbrute to the mix should be interesting.

ZtnM9Arl.jpg

Up next are three AoS style berzerkers. I currently have 5 so 3 more will up their ability to cause mischief.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I've finished a sorcerer in terminator for my Black Legion warband. I removed the Word Bearer icons from this Horus Heresy model to make it more Black Legion appropriate. 

nka06Stl.jpg

Next up are some more cultists and Abaddon.

Edited by Shovellovin

I've finished a sorcerer in terminator for my Black Legion warband. I removed the Word Bearer icons from this Horus Heresy model to make it more Black Legion appropriate.

nka06Stl.jpg

Next up are some more cultists and Abaddon.

If I may, how does the model compare height wise to the new terminators/ CSM?

I don't have any of the new terminators so I can't help with your request. I do have the new CSM, see below.

UHSUHNUl.jpg

I don't have any of the new terminators so I can't help with your request. I do have the new CSM, see below.

UHSUHNUl.jpg

Thank you very much! Slightly disappointed the praetor is a little smaller than I had hoped but you are absolutely an awesome person for doing that.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much! Slightly disappointed the praetor is a little smaller than I had hoped but you are absolutely an awesome person for doing that.

The praetor may look smaller than he is because of the way he is posed, legs spread apart.

I started working on some close combat Chaos marines. I made some small changes to the models to give them some character. I'll be painting up these models and Abaddon in the next two weeks.

http://i.imgur.com/cHc3BjYl.jpg

DDQRW9Tl.jpg

This guy is a bit of an homage to one of the Chosen from Dark Vengeance.

STnGoFbl.jpg

nmJzJfFl.jpg

alFfVEkl.jpg

After this, I'd like to put together a list comprised of a terminator based warband. I'm not worried about the list being competitive. I'll even have a landraider in the list to ferry some terminators. I recently finished a Night Lords warband comprised of mostly raptors. I had a lot of fun making a themed warband. I'd like to try that again with the Black Legion.

Very nice looking chainsword Squad. Are they a kitbash of the CSM kit and a Horus Heresy of some kind?

Thank you, Tallarn Commander. Yes, the models have MK III bits sprinkled throughout. I also used SoH Reaver head, Dark Disicple head, and WB terminator praetor head. The lightning claws are from the Raptor set. 

• 2 weeks later...

How much work was it the rescale the MK III to the new scale, I'm tempted to do that for my DG?

I didn't really rescale the MK III, I just chopped the torso and chopped the Chaos Marine legs so that they'd fit. A little milliput was used to join the two halves together. I am happy with how it turned out.

I finished up the squad of close combat marines and also finished the Warmaster. This is the first time I've painted a character model that is as big as Abaddon and has so much detail. There is a lot going on with that model. I'm hoping that it sees some time on the table top after the holidays.

fR0avVEl.jpg

5Sj7Lhil.jpg

r7Kc040l.jpg

QCGS0XHl.jpg

qmitbKal.jpg

These look great - I think you've gotten exactly the right balance of green vs brass on the trim with these last few models... its really easy to go overboard on the green, which can make the model look a bit muddied.