Model suggestions

Thomoski

Hi all, looking to expand my collection, mainly for painting, not so much playing (as I enjoy that aspect a bit more) and have been looking at painting some chaos space marines. I remember back in 7th I really enjoyed painting the models from the Dark Vengeance set, but I can't find anything similar to these:

warhammer-40k-dark-vengeance-7th_1_91c3a
They were a plast to paint and I loved the bone work and chunkier feel of these guys, but I can't find anything similar. Any reccomendations for models? Again, not looking for meta/good starter models, I doubt I'll play, and if I do, it tends to be very casual and not that fussed about powergaming, so mainly looking for interesting stuff to paint.

The Start Collecting box comes to mind. 

You get a character, four pseudo characters (the greater possessed and obliterators ), one large scale model, and a unit of 10 line infantry chaos space marines. They should also be easy to build compared to a full multipart kit, which if you are just painting might be an advantage.

99120102108_CSMSCCollection02.jpg

Edit: Another thought, while not 40k per say the Age of Sigmar Slaves To Darkness start collecting box migth also work for you if your focus is painting over playing. 

99120201107_SCSlavestoDarkness2.jpg
Edited by Trokair

Are you looking for single models or are you more interested in units?

Single models that are fun to paint are the Master of Possession (the dude in the startbox with the fire-fetish) and Abaddon.

Units... hm... i guess the standard Chaos Marines are the go-to models, since they are coming as close to the chosen ones as currently possible.

The Start Collecting box comes to mind. 

You get a character, four pseudo characters (the greater possessed and obliterators ), one large scale model, and a unit of 10 line infantry chaos space marines. They should also be easy to build compared to a full multipart kit, which if you are just painting might be an advantage.

99120102108_CSMSCCollection02.jpg
Ooh, I always kind of discount starter sets really, that looks like it has a lot of interesting stuff to work on in there, I'll have a look, thanks!

Are you looking for single models or are you more interested in units?

Single models that are fun to paint are the Master of Possession (the dude in the startbox with the fire-fetish) and Abaddon.

Units... hm... i guess the standard Chaos Marines are the go-to models, since they are coming as close to the chosen ones as currently possible.

I think a good mix would be nice, I think a starter set might be the way to go with both units and characters, like I said earlier, I kind of forget the starter sets are a thing really

Ooh, I always kind of discount starter sets really, that looks like it has a lot of interesting stuff to work on in there, I'll have a look, thanks!

I had to chuckle at this as Dark Vengeance was a starter set in a way. Anyway, do have a look at the Start collecting boxes, they tend to be great and there also god specific and demon specific ones (for some gods at least). The Thousand Sons one for example includes Ahriman special character.

Edited by Trokair

I had to chuckle at this as Dark Vengeance was a starter set in a way. Anyway, do have a look at the Start collecting boxes, they tend to be great and there also god specific and demon specific ones (for some gods at least). The Thousand Sons one for example includes Ahriman special character.
I think the dark vengeance bits made their way to me from a friend who wasn't interested in chaos at the time, that's probably why I never made the connection! I'll definitely take a look, just wanted something a bit more visually interesting, but that doesn't require quite as much freehand work to make look good. I like painting, but I'm not great at it!

The humble Chaos Marine squad is great fun to paint with plenty of options to choose from to.

Personally I’d recommend getting a Chaos Marine squad and a box of possessed then kitbashing until you get a look that you like!

Sounds like a fun project, keep us in the loop!

BCC

Edited by battle captain corpus

I loved painting the new terminator kit. The updated models look fantastic and are in similar vain to the DV chosen. They are also a great option since you're just going for painting and with how the kit gives one of every melee weapon to paint. 

Just to reiterate what brother Trokair suggested... paint the Master of Possession!  He's got the Dark Vengeance vibe ... skull helmet, slick robes, eldritch flames, staff of pure evil and that gothic style armour.  

You should also look at third party models.  Grim Skull has a pretty cool line of chaos marines in the style of DV.  

https://wargameexclusive.com/product-category/chaos/

This line is closer in scale to DV than the recent CSM line which is certainly bigger.

As previous comments, Dark Vengeance was a starter set featuring redesigned chaos models to fit a new aesthetic. It took 7 years, but the rest of the chaos range started to catch up with the DV set, and the ones from that Start Collecting! Box are simialr in quantity, quality and aesthetic to the older DV models. If you liked the DV marines, you;ll love this set also!

I still see the CSM holiday box for regular and slightly discounted prices (as opposed to bloated OOP prices). The Decimation Warband has a good amount of stuff in it, a big demon engine, termies, heavy weapons guys, regular chaos marines (with more options than the starter box guys), and a chaos lord. Of course the difference between that box and the starter is like $100