Grey Knight Experiment

The Woodsman

Hi lads, throwing a new list I'm tinkering with at you.

I don't know that it works that well, but there is a bit of thought behind the less "conventional" stuff. The main premise of the list is the Teleport Strike Assault of Terminators and their supporting characters. It can either come down as a big ol' blob and try and maximize charges through FttF as well as benefiting from a series of buffs, or it can spread out across the board as the mission demands. Same goes for the characters. The Apothecary and Ancient speak for themselves, but they could teleport with the Terminators or support the backline as needed. The first of the "wonkier" stuff is the Champion. At 90 points, he's one of our cheaper characters and between Sword Strike Stance, Hammerhand and the Blade of the Forsworn, he should knock off any enemy characters, elite units and even do some hurt on a vehicle (Knights and the likes notwithstanding). On the flip side the Blade Shield Stance plus Sanctuary should allow him to survive against all but the most ruthless of attackers (or a whole load of dice, yikes) through a 1+/3++. He also provides the FttF. He's part one of the "experiment". The Librarian is pretty standard, not much to add about him. The Grand Master exists to support the Purgators and... the Land Raider, through his re-roll aura and Ethereal Manipulation. The idea is to hide the Raider behind LoS blocking terrain and have the Purgators cast Astrail Aim to shoot through it - hopefully forcing the opponent either to commit resources/move out of position to destroy it, while the rest of the army takes board control. Finally, the Interceptors - 2 units of 9... the thing that bugs me is that I lose flexibility by them not being 10-man, since I can't split them to go for a smite train. There's another rendition of the list that subs the GM for a Chaplain (Projection/Power), that loses out on the re-roll 1s aura, but could manage to get full-rerolls on the Raider through Projection + Ethereal Manipulation. This rendition also has 2x10 Interceptors.

Here's the list itself, let me know what you guys think: 

+++ Grey Knights New (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) +++

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems +

Armoury of Titan: 1 Additional Relic

+ HQ +

Brotherhood Champion: 4: First to the Fray, Blade of the Forsworn, Sanctuary, Warlord

Grand Master: Ethereal Manipulation
Nemesis Force Sword
Psilencer: Psilencer (Terminator)

Librarian: Empyrean Domination, Warp Shaping
Nemesis Force Sword

+ Troops +

Terminator Squad: Hammerhand
Grey Knight Terminator Justicar
Nemesis Force Halberd
4x Terminator (Halberd): 4x Nemesis Force Halberd, 4x Storm Bolter

Nemesis Force Halberd

Nemesis Force Halberd

+ Elites +

Apothecary: Armoured Resilience
Nemesis Daemon Hammer: Nemesis Daemon Hammer

Paladin Ancient: Edict Imperator
Storm Bolter and Falchion: Nemesis Falchion

+ Fast Attack +

Interceptor Squad: Vortex of Doom
8x Interceptor (Sword): 8x Nemesis Force Sword, 8x Storm Bolter
Interceptor Justicar
Nemesis Force Sword

8x Interceptor (Sword): 8x Nemesis Force Sword, 8x Storm Bolter
Interceptor Justicar
Nemesis Warding Stave

+ Heavy Support +

Land Raider: Hunter-killer Missile, Storm Bolter, Twin Heavy Bolter, 2x Twin Lascannon

Purgation Squad: Astral Aim
4x Purgator (Psilencer): 4x Psilencer
Purgator Justicar
Nemesis Force Sword

4x Purgator (Psycannon): 4x Psycannon
Purgator Justicar
Nemesis Force Sword

++ Total: [120 PL, 11CP, 1,992pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Cheers!
Edited by The Woodsman

So this list has ended up being quite similar to the one on TTT.

1st off remember the brochamp does not have teleport strike. So will need to pay cp for teleport.

2nd there is no gate of infinity. This is a must have power.

I think you are right about the interceptors so maybe make one of them a 10man unit and the other 8.

Personally I would prefer to have edict start on the board. So you could astral a purgation squad and the use edict pn the raider so it can shoot and move back behind cover again. With that in mind you would need more dominus starting on the board so either ancient then gate him. Or try and shift some points to take voldus instead of the gm.

On your list it says you have paid for an exrtra relic but I can only see the sword. For your 2nd id you are keeping list as is santic shard on librarian however if you tweek to get voldus I would say artisan nullifyer matrix.

I certainly think it would be interesting.

Geez I don't know I missed out on Gate... I'd probably stick it on the GM, Ethereal Manipulation isn't really mandatory. 

The second relic would be Sanctic Shard, I did a lot of toying around with the list so probably deleted some stuff. Its always a toss-up for me between the two "psychic relics"... the Nullifier Matrix has great utility but the re-roll on the Shard can be so clutch. I see what you mean about Voldus though, he might be the key to getting all the powers I need plus the aura... and he's pretty beast in combat as well. At this point I might switch the LR for a Ven Dread? Either Las/CC weapon or Las/Missiles. I'd lose out on quantity of shots, but at a better BS and an extra power to boot, for cheaper. This would allow to swap the GM for Voldus and to fill out the Interceptors. 

Thanks for your input, I'll keep working on it! 

**Edit** 

Here's the updated list: 
(Basically did the swaps I mentioned beforehand, also gave Falchions to the Interceptors - didn't quite know what to do with those spare 80 points and its how mine are modelled, and gave the Ancient a Psycannon to make it bang on 2000 points.

+++ Grey Knights New (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) +++

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems +

Armoury of Titan: 1 Additional Relic

+ HQ +

Brotherhood Champion: 4: First to the Fray, Blade of the Forsworn, Sanctuary, Warlord

Grand Master Voldus: Armoured Resilience, Edict Imperator, Ethereal Manipulation

Librarian: Empyrean Domination, Warp Shaping
Nemesis Force Sword

+ Troops +

Nemesis Force Halberd

Nemesis Force Halberd

Nemesis Force Halberd

+ Elites +

Apothecary: Sanctuary
Nemesis Daemon Hammer: Nemesis Daemon Hammer

Paladin Ancient: Purge Soul
Psycannon: Psycannon (Terminator)

Venerable Dreadnought: Gate of Infinity, Twin lascannon
Dreadnought Combat Weapon
Storm Bolter

+ Fast Attack +

9x Interceptor (Falchions): 18x Nemesis Falchion, 9x Storm Bolter
Interceptor Justicar
Nemesis Falchions: 2x Nemesis Falchion

9x Interceptor (Falchions): 18x Nemesis Falchion, 9x Storm Bolter
Interceptor Justicar
Nemesis Warding Stave

+ Heavy Support +

4x Purgator (Psilencer): 4x Psilencer
Purgator Justicar
Nemesis Force Sword

4x Purgator (Psycannon): 4x Psycannon
Purgator Justicar
Nemesis Force Sword

++ Total: [113 PL, 11CP, 2,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)
Edited by The Woodsman

Second list looks like a good all-rounder. A few ideas though.. 

Give Voldus Armoured, Empyrian Domination, Warp Shaping. Make your other librarian into a vortex caster with some supporting spells. Switch edict out to the Paladin Ancient - if he's starting in deepstrike, that's will ensure you maximise your positioning. Make your Apothecary benefit from PS or Inner Fire - never underestimate a Librarian + Ancient combo when casting. 

Secondly, change all these swords to halberds or warding staves. Dreadnought arm can be a MM, unless you want the range? That should spare up 15pts. Not a fan of the 3x terminator squads, but if they work, they work. You know my stance how troops shouldn't be expensive, given how squishy we are. Everything else looks solid and above board. 

Edited by Skywrath

@Skywrath: the Libby is really meant to be a backline support caster, ensuring I can swap tides when needed and get that precious CP back every turn. Voldus fills out the remaining Dominus powers I need and grants the re roll. I'm really not sold on Inner Fire, I personally think it is way too situational to be worth it. The Ancient with Purge I do like, it can hopefully score a few mortal wounds on a key target. As far as the Dread goes,I really prefer the Lascannon, he's meant to sit back, cast Gate and take potshots through walls, I don't want to have to move him up to get the range. I personally think Terminators are the better of our two troop choices, and actually bring more than just filling up a battalion. I prefer paying a little more for a quality unit than a little less for a unit that will probably do little and easily give up points on Abhor the Witch.

@Gnomeo: yeah that definitely makes sense.