***REDACTED***

Doghouse

Although deep in the attic of forgotten editions, I'm glad to see your noospheric datastreams remain uninterrupted.
I've been considering what to do with a bunch of Reiver bodies I've accumulated so I might have to borrow your scout idea, it's a brilliantly simple but effective conversion for true to scale initiates.
That Knight looks mighty impressive, I had no idea the model was so enormous.

Thanks mate.

It's a pretty simple conversion but works really well, go for it as I'd love to see your take on it mate. Yeah the titan is really nicely scaled for 40k despite being AT. The beauty of it is that is so much more detailed in terms of rivets and other bits. It's getting there but I have some fun ideas for it yet.

Consider your scout idea stolen. I never really liked the idea of primaris vs first born. (If I need first born units I just convert them out of primaris). Excellent stuff. If mark ii and III bits weren't so expensive, I'd love to do up an army like your doing. So for now, I guess I get to live vicariously through you. ;)

So work progresses on with the Knight, got the basics in place now and need to start on the GS work and adding the rigging.

So this is kind of what I am call Medieval Max rather than Mad Max as I am embracing what I see to be the true spirit of 40k from my perspective. The idea being that at some point in this ancient Knight's past a pilot was boarded and torn from his throne chair to be ripped apart. To prevent this the order adopted the practice of chaining serfs to the hull to protect their Lord known as the Tallowmen because of the practice of burning scented candles before battle in prayer to call upon the spirit of the knight to grant them protection.
The wooden frame work on the back bares a great relic bell who's origin has long since become forgot over ten thousand bells and is known as the Martyrs Toll. Many of the Tallowmen believe that for each chime of the great bell is a heartbeat of the great titan that staves off the end times and as such it falls to their great order to maintain and to make sure the bell never stops ringing. As such large parts that have worn through have been replaced over thousands of years and repaired so many times that it is doubtful any of the original bells still exists.

I'm going to be cleaning up joins with GS next and adding rigging and chains around the waists of the Tallowmen along with some supports for the back platform. Should have some Sisters stuff coming today and am going to start work on Deathspectresgt's captain now I have the parts.

P1010293

P1010295

P1010294

So work progresses on with the Knight, got the basics in place now and need to start on the GS work and adding the rigging.

So this is kind of what I am call Medieval Max rather than Mad Max as I am embracing what I see to be the true spirit of 40k from my perspective. The idea being that at some point in this ancient Knight's past a pilot was boarded and torn from his throne chair to be ripped apart. To prevent this the order adopted the practice of chaining serfs to the hull to protect their Lord known as the Tallowmen because of the practice of burning scented candles before battle in prayer to call upon the spirit of the knight to grant them protection.

The wooden frame work on the back bares a great relic bell who's origin has long since become forgot over ten thousand bells and is known as the Martyrs Toll. Many of the Tallowmen believe that for each chime of the great bell is a heartbeat of the great titan that staves off the end times and as such it falls to their great order to maintain and to make sure the bell never stops ringing. As such large parts that have worn through have been replaced over thousands of years and repaired so many times that it is doubtful any of the original bells still exists.

I'm going to be cleaning up joins with GS next and adding rigging and chains around the waists of the Tallowmen along with some supports for the back platform. Should have some Sisters stuff coming today and am going to start work on Deathspectresgt's captain now I have the parts.

That’s rad.......

Brother Christopher: Thanks :) I am leaning towards a sort of if terry gilliam, Guillermo del Toro and the Brothers Grimm sat down in a pub together and designed a titan. I am really enjoying making this one.

Space Wolf: Thanks mate :)

War009: Thanks :)

deathspectersgt7: Thanks mate. Yeah it's coming on nicely, I am really enjoying making the Tallowmen especially as they help show it's 40k scale. It's a completely mental construct and I am loving making it. :D 

I want to add pennants and things and maybe a couple more Tallowmen.

I've started your Captain now, I'm going for a wrist mounted Assault Bolt Rifle and a powersword because of the three options this is probably covers the most combat ground and you can swap it out for a relic weapon I think?

It should look like the grey knight wrist weapon and I am hoping to attach an ammo feed to the pack if I can. The moment I make some progress worth showing I'll post pics. As they are a Primaris Chapter now I am leaning towards making it look like he has modified armour incorporating older marks.

I am not entirely sure how allies work but need to research that a bit more. Not sure how possible it will be but I'd like patrols of each Black Templars, Sisters of battle, Astra Militarum and admechs that I can mix and max regardless of the command point cost.  

Krakendoomcool: Thanks mate :smile.:

deathspectersgt7: It will be :biggrin.:

So a bit more done on the Knight, I'm just rolling with this at the moment adding stuff as I go. I've built up the wooden structure a bit more but still need to go over the model and do the GS work. I'm working on a bit of an idea using one of the Cursed City miniatures, this is just a dry fit and I have a lot of converting to do yet cutting away and resculpting a lot of her. The idea will be she stands on the back of machine on a small platform that will be suspended by ropes lead up to the bell structure.

The idea is that she is a puppet of the machine. A maiden is chosen from one of the villages or cities during the festivities of the harvest. She is bound to the machine both physically and spiritually via cables leading from her back into the core of the machine. Every pilot that has ever inhabited the throne of the machine leaves indelible psychic imprints, soul stains that inhabit the mind impulse unit after ten thousand years of combat. 

These remnants of the past coalesce to form a gestalt personality that speaks for the machine spirit and in battle she speaks sermons to those following in it's wake or sings ancient long forgotten battle hymns. 

Should she fall in battle or die from old age she is removed and replaced by another. Known as the Veil Maiden as the mingling of souls gives her extensive knowledge albeit it often spouted as incoherent gibberish of events long past. It is often the case that amongst the gentry that the particularly wealthy will pay large sums of gold to seek her council, interpreting her soft childlike ramblings as especially favourable prophecies or portents often earning them favour amongst the other great families.

Like I say I need to possibly remove the staff and will cut off the shoulder pads and the wooden stakes at her waist but the idea is taking shape nicely.

P1010298

P1010299

P1010300

This is a top down view of the pilot hatch that the frame is built around. I sort of see it like the cover stone of a tomb so might add some little details.

P1010301

Edited by Doghouse

Doghouse doing a new truescale project. With insidious perpetual nullzone fluff? I'm in. 

I'm on a bit of a morfine induced high recovering from a little accident, so I didn't follow what that knight thing above is - but that's not supposed to be adeptus titanicus scale, right? More like a vehicle/transport for the inq28 miniatures?

Well that doesn't sound good, hope you feel better soon mate.

At the moment I am slowly changing the model to look less like the Warmaster but it's such a nice kit that I wanted to use it for 40k. The idea I am using is that a mad Knight King gets his artisans to make a copy but they make it in knight scale. So the best way to look at it is when you see knights with helmets shaped like lions or gladiators with chest and sculpted abdominal armour.

Kind of like this:

"What is that over there?" bellowed Knight King Aubren as he swung open the pilot hatch of his Gallant Class Knight and he popped his head out and pointing into the distance.

Stood on the gantry of the Knight repair bay Artificer Dobkins squinted into the distance, leaning as far over the railing as he dared to get a better look at the object.

"That would be a Warmaster Titan of the Adeptus Mechanicus, blessed bringer of destruction and embodiment of Him on Terra M'lud" He said as he eased himself back onto the gantry.

Aubren paused as his brow furrowed into a thoughtful scowl, he slowly and methodically began to stroke his long wispy and unkempt beard. Dobkins didn't like it when the King thought for himself, no good will come of this as he let out a weary sigh.

"Well...I want one!" The King said as he placed one arm either side of the pilot chamber door and swung himself up with the ease of a practiced horseman dismounting a steed. "I don't care what it takes but I want you to make me one Dobkins!"

Dobkins stared with the combined look of regret and intensity of a man who had just realised he had soiled his britches. He wanted a Warmaster? How would he make him a Warmaster? The coffers would barely stretch to constructing another Knight let alone a fething Warmaster.

"M'lud, you...you...you want me to make a Warmaster?" He stammered with equal measures of sheer absurdity and disbelief of the request. 

"Yes," Aubren barked as he vaulted the railing to land on the gantry next to him "don't care how you do it just get it done!" He smiled as he patted Dobkins on the shoulder and carried on past down the gantry sending several bowing menials scattering as he did so.

And so several months passed before the Knight King was to be presented with his new steed. A rather scrawny man with very poor quality bionics and a single whirring glass lens in place of his left eye approached, head bowed, as the King stomped into the Knight Bay.

"So Dobkins, where is this new Knight that you have fashioned for me?" He bellowed as he slapped the Artificer on the shoulder knocking him off balance as he did.

"My name is Verrik M'lud, you had Dobkins executed for wearing a jaunty hat on Saint Mellum's Day nearly a month ago" Verrik's voice trembled, not because of his obvious advanced years or the straining of his bionics but because he was clearly afraid and did not want the job that he had inherited from his predecessor. He had been happy in his previous role, the fine art of hand casting rivets was a tradition that had been passed down from his father and his father's father. He had always taken great pride in the almost perfect dome shaped tops to his rivets. Many had said he could be the next Betrum Falnor, the man who had once embossed by hand the the entire Great Siege of Grentha and fall of Saint Musel onto the surface of a single rivet. He grimaced as he turned his head to look back at the machine he was to present to the King, such an ugly and unrefined construction belching smoke and oil but he had to admit the rivet work was exceptional.

"Well speak up Dobkins, where is this blasted steed that you have promised me!" Aubren bellowed once more showering Verrik in spital and  tiny lumps of what he assumed were Grox meat from his Lord's last meal that had sought refuge in his beard. Probably trying to hide he mused as he wiped his eye lens with the cuff of his robe. He couldn't say he blamed them, the mad King had a reputation for being loud, obnoxious and...well...mad and it came to no surprise to him that even his meals would try to distance themselves from his bellowing maw.

Verrik sighed as he swung his arm in a grand reluctant gesture in the direction of the heavily modified Crusader Titan that towered over them both, cables hissing and spurts of steam billowing forth, the power conduits humming as they charged the mighty machine's power core.

"And what might I ask is that?" Aubren said through gritted teeth as he scowled and pointed at the titan. All the time never once blinking or taking his gaze off Verrik. His face drew close to Verrik, his fetid grox meat breath washed over the face of the Artificer. At this distance Verrik could see the veins in his bloodshot eyes, the froth at the corner of his mouth. He was instantly transported back to when he was a child. He had been helping his Uncle on his farm when a Bull Grox broke from it's enclosure and charged the hapless and terrified child. Verrik froze as he was vaguely aware of his father running to his aid and shouts of "don't move, whatever you do don't move!" His father and his uncle had managed to shoot the beast as it stood staring at him with the eyes of a hungry predator eyeing it's next meal. It was at this point that he would have given anything for his father to appear, lasgun in hand to dispatch the beast that stood before him now. 

"Dobkins...explain...yourself...it's...too...small" Aubren said slowly, taking time to almost annunciate each and every syllable with great care loaded with terrifying promise of pain and intent.

His mind raced. Verri firstly focused every amount of will in his body that he could summon to not empty his bladder. There was no plausible way that the Household would have the resources let along the technical know how to construct a Warmaster Titan. It was a preposterous request of his predecessor and it now dawned on him that Dobkins had probably intentionally worn the hat to avoid the far greater impending and torturous doom that now lay in Verrik's future and he begun to wish that he had had the foresight to purchase such a hat instead of adding to his antique rivet collection. His latest addition was a wonderful piece, an exquisite example of a rivet one tenth the size of any other in his collection, he had stared in awe at the utter genius of craftsmanship that went into hand forging the piece that was now the pride of his collection.  And then it stuck him, first a tiny spark , a fleeting darting flash of an idea which began to grow with impetus as it found purchase in the soil of his mind. Sprouting and growing the idea began to take form, roots and branches spread carrying his thoughts along many lines of possibilities and then as suddenly as the thought had appeared his mouth began to work, beginning to sprout this thought further through words forcing themselves through trembling lips. 

"Well...thing is M'lud...the Warmaster you saw at the Battle of Draanak was not far away as many an intelligent, kind and noble spectator would obviously assume." he turned to look for the support of the other serfs and Artisans but they had all long since scurried off to hid in the shadows of their dormatories or quarters. Regardless that he was now alone with the mad King he carried on "Well...you see...the Warmaster was actually quite close and it had been a trick of the light, yes that is it, a trick of the light that gave the impression that it was in fact a massive construction that would take decades to forge when in fact it was actually the exact same size as your Knight Titan M'lud."

There was silence, Aubren's scowl softened into a look of mild confusion. A single eye brow was raised and his head tilted a little and he slowly withdrew his face from that of Verrik. His lips pursed as he slowly reached up and began to stroke his unkept beard with fore finger and thumb thoughtfully. He was thinking.

"You know what?" He proclaimed as Verrik visibly recoiled, startled by his Lord's sudden outburst fearing that he would soon be cowering as he faced certain death at the hands of his mad man. "You know what Dobkins, I do recall it being a lot smaller now you come to mention it" he shifted his stance so that he stood with his hands balled and on his hips "be a good fellow and have my throne installed" And with that he slapped Verrik once more on the shoulder and stormed off back to his banquet hall.

And with that, his focus broken, Verrik emptied his bladder. 

So thousands of years later and countless rebuilds and repairs and you end up with the model I am making.

Due to the passage of time many great collections of artefacts have been lost to the Imperium of Man. This may be due to conflict, technological atrophy or perhaps the worst of sins wilful neglect and failure to use the correct blessings and anointments.

Of all the now fabled Great Collection of Grant Artificer Verrick all are lost save a single piece that resides in the Mausoleum of Favoured Tears deep with the great Gaol of Solstice. This piece said to have been crafted by the great artificer himself circa 321.30M in the later years of his life. Despite many Rejuvenat treatments and Mechanicus augmentations Verrick eventually succumb to the passing of time circa 184.33M during the search for the last work of Betrum Falnor, the famed Inverted Sprange Grommet, thought to be lost somewhere in the The Veiled Region of the far Galactic south in Segmentum Tempestus.  

It is not known what became of his great collection and many speculate that it contained wonders beyond belief. More heretical thinking has lead to believe that it was in fact just a small collection of metal rivets of varying sizes and was probably thrown out by mistake.

Below we can see the last known part of this trove said to be called Verrick's pride. This fine example of Great Crusade Era casting can seen below fixed between two pieces of the Gate of Parinda (destroyed circa 641.36M) and bound in the finest silver cogitation fibre binding it's spirit within the frame work.

P1010305

P1010306

*Time to construct from start to finish (including letting the super sculpty bake and filing it while it was still hot) 57mins.*

There those that straddle line between madness and genius...I am firmly established on the mad side.

Thanks mate :D

I saw your post and thought that might be really fun so challenge accepted. Then it was a case of wonder how quick I can do this? Next thing you know I am sculpting, rummaging through boxes and spraying paint like a madman. I made the backdrop from a bit of balsa wood and some tissue sprayed red then sculpted the rivet from a single piece of super sculpty and chucked it in the oven. While that was baking I set about the parts of the gate to strap to the sides. Historically speaking these kind of real world relics can get little additions over the centuries so this felt apt. The wood areas were washed in snakebite leather then dry brushed with white, I left the silver thread untouched so it looks like it had been recently replaced.

I then sprayed the rivet leadbelcher, washed with Aggrax Earthshade then dry brushed with lead belcher and Necron compound before chucking on some weathering power into the hallmark on the surface of the dome.

It was actually really fun to do trying to make it look like an authentic relic and I thought you deserved a full and proper fun reply. So thanks for that. :)

Hehehe, what a lovely blurb of fuff... 

And while I was writing this, along came your reply with the tale of how you made that lovely prop to go along with it. 

Thanks for doing this and sharing it, Doghouse. I love this hobby and I love what our community brings. <3

Thanks mate. :)

Yeah it was a bit of fun and something different. There are lots of different mediums through which we can all express our interpretation of 40k, whether it is fiction, CGI animations, modelling and beyond cosplay I don't see props used that often. It's something that I have always wanted to explore to capture the insanity of the setting so may do a few more bits in the future.

If I had the room I'd love to make a full sized replica 40k Rogue Trader's desk.

If I had my way 40k would be a cross between Terry Gilliam and Guillermo del Toro with some Jim Henson and Clive Barker thrown in..

Add a touch of Black Adder or Dads Army and that would be perfect.